Windows 10: Downgrading after clean Install of windows 10 Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       21 Aug 2015 #11

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Hello, Obizan. Welcome to Windows Ten Forums.

    Does your Elitebook have a recovery partition on it?
    Good question Hippsie!

    Obizan, please post a screen shot of your Disk Management.
    If you've already downloaded the custom MMC, go to Step 2 to launch it and then grab the screen shot.

    Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)


    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console
    You'll get an output similar to this:


    Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.

    Option 2: Use Disk Management in the x-Menu (right click the Windows logo, select Disk Management)
    Select View > Bottom > Disk list
    Maximize the window and grab the screen shot.

    Here's how you can grab a screen shot that shows the issue and attach it to a new post.
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    21 Aug 2015 #12

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_08_22_02_58_141.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	33065

    Ok so I went with option one
    Sorry for taking so long to respond
    Is there any hope?

    Thanks for your help
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Aug 2015 #13

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_08_22_03_02_215.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	33066
    when I use the other way it does show "healthy (Recovery partition)" is that what you meant in the previews questions?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Aug 2015 #14

    Ztruker said: View Post
    If neither of these you are going to have to find a ISO download for the version of Windows 7 you had on the internet as there are no official Microsoft sites for this any more.
    Hello Ztrucker,

    I do not have a lot to add to this thread. I have USB Recovery Drives for Windows 8 & 8.1 & 10, I don't understand why more people do not make these. Making a Recovery USB was the FIRST instruction inserted when my computer was new.

    If anyone does have a Windows product key, I found ISO downloads from Microsoft. (sometimes bing search works for Microsoft sites)

    WINDOWS 7 ISO FILE DOWNLOAD
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

    WINDOWS 8.1 ISO FILE DOWNLOAD
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows8
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 25,466
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       22 Aug 2015 #15

    Obizan said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_08_22_03_02_215.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	33066
    when I use the other way it does show "healthy (Recovery partition)" is that what you meant in the previews questions?
    Yes. Look for recovery to Windows 7 on this page. Easiest to click "View all".

    Most viewed solutions for HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC - HP Support Center
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       22 Aug 2015 #16

    Obizan said: View Post
    when I use the other way it does show "healthy (Recovery partition)" is that what you meant in the previews questions?
    Thanks for the info.

    If you look closely at the top pane in both images, they are identical, except in the custom MMC, the columns show all of the information (including the 1st entry with no drive letter = Healthy(Recovery partition).

    That's why I made the custom - I got tired of asking people to 'please do it again and show all of the information'. So I thank you for using the custom.

    The other thing I thought was more useful than a graphical representation of the same information was the Disk list view in the bottom pane. This readily tells members the drive# and the way the drive was initialized (MBR or GPT).

    That was a fair question To answer your question though, no I was just trying to determine if you had an OEM recovery partition that might have the HP Factory install media on it. It looks as though you do.

    Looks as though I'm really late coming back to this - DavidG and Hippsie have provided some good information.

    DavidG: If that page works the same way as it's predecessor (Microsoft Software Recovery), it only takes a Retail key. Many people have requested that MS allow a COA key to be entered, so I hope they changed it when they changed the page.

    Hippsie: That reference looks promising, I'll read it when I get the chance.
    If the Fkey to boot the machine into HP recovery still works, that would be great.

    I'll be out this afternoon, but will check how things are going when I get back in tonight.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       22 Aug 2015 #17

    I think the F11 key will get you to the HP Recovery screen

    Restart your PC and when the screen goes black tap the F11 key repeatedly

    If it works, you'll get the option to restore to Factory settings.
    HP added a minimal option - choose that if available - it doesn't load as much bloat software.
    But then there might be some applications that you want reinstalled (Cyberpower maybe?) - use the full factory restore in that case.

    IT's possible that this won't work ... there is another way.

    You should create a Windows 10 Recovery Drive (just the recovery drive, do not copy Windows files). This will let you boot to a 'repair' Windows if the change I think will work does not. All you need are base Windows commands, not a full blown Windows recovery.

    I'll wait to post those instructions until after you see if the F11 key works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 Aug 2015 #18

    Slartybart said: View Post
    I think the F11 key will get you to the HP Recovery screen

    Restart your PC and when the screen goes black tap the F11 key repeatedly

    If it works, you'll get the option to restore to Factory settings.
    HP added a minimal option - choose that if available - it doesn't load as much bloat software.
    But then there might be some applications that you want reinstalled (Cyberpower maybe?) - use the full factory restore in that case.

    IT's possible that this won't work ... there is another way.

    You should create a Windows 10 Recovery Drive (just the recovery drive, do not copy Windows files). This will let you boot to a 'repair' Windows if the change I think will work does not. All you need are base Windows commands, not a full blown Windows recovery.

    I'll wait to post those instructions until after you see if the F11 key works.

    Ok thank you I will try this method and let you know if it worked
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    22 Aug 2015 #19

    Slartybart said: View Post
    I think the F11 key will get you to the HP Recovery screen

    Restart your PC and when the screen goes black tap the F11 key repeatedly

    If it works, you'll get the option to restore to Factory settings.
    HP added a minimal option - choose that if available - it doesn't load as much bloat software.
    But then there might be some applications that you want reinstalled (Cyberpower maybe?) - use the full factory restore in that case.

    IT's possible that this won't work ... there is another way.

    You should create a Windows 10 Recovery Drive (just the recovery drive, do not copy Windows files). This will let you boot to a 'repair' Windows if the change I think will work does not. All you need are base Windows commands, not a full blown Windows recovery.

    I'll wait to post those instructions until after you see if the F11 key works.
    So it didn't work it just installed windows 10 right away (and just a note to get to get to the recovery page you need to click restart while holding shift)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       23 Aug 2015 #20

    Ok, thanks Obzan. I want to be sure we're not confusing the two recovery operations. One if the HP F11 recovery and the other is Windows Recovery.

    I'm not sure why Windows would install 'right away' for either recovery option.

    I'll take you at your word for what happened though ... where does the issue stand now.
    You have Win10 installed - is it still running 'slow'?

    You still want to revert back to Windows 7?

    You previously did a Clean install and there is no Windows.old, but do you have a backup of your data?

    The other option I previously mentioned is not viable - the Recovery partition is only 462 MB, not large enough to be the HP recovery partition.

    You can try to download Windows 7 install media here:
    Windows 7

    Unless MS has changed things, the Windows 7 ISO download only works with a Retail key. If Windows was pre-installed an your machine (OEM box) try the key on the COA sticker on your machine.

    The only other options you have are
    Plead your case to HP, they might as a courtesy (use that word) send you install media. They won't give it to you easily, you really have to ask kindly and perhaps a few times.

    If you know someone with Windows 7 install media that matches the edition on the COA sticker (Home, Pro, Ent ...) on your machine, you can use that install media and your COA key to Clean install Win7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Need help downgrading to windows 7 in Installation and Upgrade
I get this message whenever I try to downgrade There is NO other accounts, I already checked. I also typed this in CMD just to make sure "Net user administrator /active:no HELP !!
When I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7, it worked fine for the next few hours then i couldnt acess the log in screen it was just stuck on the slider and then it flickers. tried to trouble shoot, system restore, clean installed (using...
Hope this has not been asked before. I have the Windows 7 disc which I purchased and since then have upgraded to Windows 8 & 8.1 via the Windows Store. When Windows 10 is released I'd like to do a fresh install. Does anyone know if this will...
Clean install of Windows 8.1 in General Support
I know this isn't the EightForums but I've not logged on there for some time now. I need to clean install Windows 8.1 and having trouble finding an up-to-date guide. At the beginning of this year I followed this guide which worked nicely but it...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:28.
Find Us