clean install

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,301
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #21

    I was using MBAM free with Defender but it seemed to have changed unless it was b/c I had the wrong build. I was ok with it as it was.
    Do I understand that Defender with a good firewall would suffice?
      My Computer

  2. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 24,443
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #22

    If sfc /scannow repaired errors, try running it again (after Windows restart).

    Suggestions above are all good.

    If sfc shows no error, lets focus on problems.. mail etc. What are symptoms?
      My Computers

  3. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 11,518
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.1151 (x64) [21H1]
       #23

    maranna said:
    I was using MBAM free with Defender but it seemed to have changed unless it was b/c I had the wrong build. I was ok with it as it was.
    Do I understand that Defender with a good firewall would suffice?


    Defender is both an antivirus and a firewall.



    clean install-image3.png
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,301
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #24

    AndreTen said:
    If sfc /scannow repaired errors, try running it again (after Windows restart).

    Suggestions above are all good.

    If sfc shows no error, lets focus on problems.. mail etc. What are symptoms?
    Right now all is well. It was my error that began all this by installing the wrong build. I think I have corrected all that needs it including SFC. I just need to rebuild a MCT on the 8th although I will be using reset in the future if needed. Thank you.
      My Computer

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 20,122
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #25

    maranna said:
    ... Perhaps Defender alone is sufficient. It seems much improved and comprehensive.
    Do you have an opinion?

    Everyone has opinions - and they all differ


    Personally I use just Windows Security, with its PUA (PUP) protection turned on in 'App & browser control'.

    clean install-image.png

    I back that up with an occasional scan with ADWCleaner (which invariably finds nothing).
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,301
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #26

    Thank you Bree; I like effective simplicity. I am better off today than yesterday. I panicked when I saw two features in device manager showing they were wrong. Once I performed another update they were fixed. I learned a lot especially read more thoroughly before clicking the proper build download.
      My Computer

  7. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 24,443
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #27

    maranna said:
    Right now all is well. It was my error that began all this by installing the wrong build. I think I have corrected all that needs it including SFC. I just need to rebuild a MCT on the 8th although I will be using reset in the future if needed. Thank you.

    In my opinion, Repair install has same success as Reset, but you keep all your applications. If you really need it. System backup is even better.

    Regarding AV - same as Bree here. Defender, PUP and I also have Controlled folders enabled (Ramsomware protection). A long time since any of this (beside PUP) triggered any alert.

    Again, backup with system images helps me be more relaxed
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,301
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #28

    How do you do a repair install? I tried it once with the installation media(no boot) but saw no repair.
    I thought reset offered the chance to keep your features or not?
    Instead of system backup I use Macrium Reflect as it is faster. I use two external drives in case of failure.
    I would not pester but ne to be informed. TY
      My Computer

  9. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 24,443
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #29

    maranna said:
    How do you do a repair install? I tried it once with the installation media(no boot) but saw no repair.
    I thought reset offered the chance to keep your features or not?
    Instead of system backup I use Macrium Reflect as it is faster. I use two external drives in case of failure.
    I would not pester but ne to be informed. TY
    You download ISO (latest - same edition as you use) from MS, and mount ISO. Setup is started automatically, and you follow Windows installation (from current session)

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My Computers

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 20,122
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #30

    As Andre says, but if you've turned off Autorun for DVDs then you'll need to go to the mounted virtual DVD and run the Setup.exe you'll see in the root of the drive to start the in-place repair install.
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:01.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums