Merging two(?) partitions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    Win 10
       #1

    Merging two(?) partitions


    I bought a new laptop (it came with FreeDOS) and wanted to do a fast & clean Windows 10 install, so:

    1. I get the boot order right,
    2. Boot from my USB stick,
    3. Pick the partition and install.

    It seems, in haste, I forgot about something(?), because the moment I got the account running and started disk management (just to fast check things)...:

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    My question is: I simply format D and merge it with C, for there's no need partitioning further a 512GB SSD?

    Thanks.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,159
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    Merging two(?) partitions-1.png

    Hi, here's your screenshot using forum features thus (tutorial available):
    Merging two(?) partitions-screenshot-.png
    When you clean install Win 10, and intend a 'normal' installation, you install Win 10 to unallocated space on disk as per the tutorial on clean installing Win 10 (which you can find in the Tutorials section).

    Assuming you had no interest in Free DOS (about which I know nothing) - is that correct? you would have deleted any existing partitions belonging to any installed O/S, and installed to the unallocated space.

    It looks like the last 4 partitions are your Win 10 installation, and the first two may be redundant, presumably originally on the disk.

    If that's true, and you don't need the first 2, you could...
    - repeat the clean install erasing all partitions, or, using a 3rd party partition manager, delete the first two partitions and move partitions and extend C: as appropriate.
    Last edited by dalchina; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:10.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Merging two(?) partitions-1.png

    Hi, here's your screenshot using forum features thus (tutorial avaialble):
    Merging two(?) partitions-screenshot-.png
    When you clean install Win 10, and intend a 'normal' installation, you install Win 10 to unallocated space on disk as per the tutorial on clean installing Win 10 (which you can find in the Tutorials section).

    Assuming you had no interest in Free DOS (about which I know nothing) - is that correct? you would have deleted any existing partitions belonging to any installed O/S, and installed to the unallocated space.

    It looks like the last 4 partitions are your Win 10 installation, and the first two may be redundant, presumably originally on the disk.

    If that's true, and you don't need the first 2, you could...
    - repeat the clean install erasing all partitions, or, using a 3rd party partition manager, delete the first two partitions and move partitions and extend C: as appropriate.
    Yep, I made it clear in my order that I wanted a no OS laptop, yet I got a FreeDOS one. It seems I am going to go the 3rd party partition manager route.

    Thanks for image forum rules guide & further info.
      My Computer

  4. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 8,306
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H1 Build 19043.1052
       #4

    81VT said:
    Yep, I made it clear in my order that I wanted a no OS laptop, yet I got a FreeDOS one. It seems I am going to go the 3rd party partition manager route.
    You do not need any third-party partition manager, just do what dalchina said and use the clean install procedure provided in the tutorial section.
    - It includes the partitioning stage.

    Denis
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Try3 said:
    You do not need any third-party partition manager, just do what dalchina said and use the clean install procedure provided in the tutorial section.
    - It includes the partitioning stage.

    Denis
    Yeah, I shouldn't do things like this in a hurry, didn't notice the FreeDOS at first, because I entered BIOS and booted from there immediately. Anyway, after some thoughts given, I did the clean install once again (this time I got rid of FreeDOS...).

    Merging two(?) partitions-diskm.png

    Thanks guys for help - I am closing this, I guess.
      My Computer

  6. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,159
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #6

    Good- now remember to
    a. enable System Restore (you can schedule restore point creation - tutorial)
    b. start using disk imaging routinely and regularly, and create your 1st image of all O/S partitions before you start installing and configuring extenisvely, and regularly thereafter. E.g. Macrium Reflect - free /paid + large enough external storage for image files
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,532
       #7

    Absolutely follow dalchina's advice concerning making full image backups of your OS partitions onto external media. And, make it a habit to do so at least on a bi-monthly basis. Over the years, a number of times, I have had to haul out my DVD/USB boots, boot one or the other, restore my W7pro partitions. And, even had to restore my data partition a few times.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    dalchina said:
    Good- now remember to
    a. enable System Restore (you can schedule restore point creation - tutorial)
    b. start using disk imaging routinely and regularly, and create your 1st image of all O/S partitions before you start installing and configuring extenisvely, and regularly thereafter. E.g. Macrium Reflect - free /paid + large enough external storage for image files
    OK - haven't heard of Macrium Reflect before and will look into it...

    I've used mostly Aomei Partition Assistant and had it installed after the first 'clean' Win 10 install plus VLC, so I figured: "meh, not worth merging partitions just to keep those two I can re-install with no sweat anyway", ergo another clean (this time) install was more beneficial. Thanks.

    RolandJS said:
    Absolutely follow dalchina's advice concerning making full image backups of your OS partitions onto external media. And, make it a habit to do so at least on a bi-monthly basis. Over the years, a number of times, I have had to haul out my DVD/USB boots, boot one or the other, restore my W7pro partitions. And, even had to restore my data partition a few times.
    It's my 3rd laptop and before their time there were two desktops, so I'll just keep majority of 'junk' on those two laptops (they're HDD storage, but it's nearly 2TB of storage combined), at least until I get an external drive or a satisfactory USB stick. This laptop I plan on keeping relatively clean.
      My Computer

  9. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,720
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #9

    81VT said:
    OK - haven't heard of Macrium Reflect before and will look into it...

    I've used mostly Aomei Partition Assistant and had it installed after the first 'clean' Win 10 install plus VLC, so I figured: "meh, not worth merging partitions just to keep those two I can re-install with no sweat anyway", ergo another clean (this time) install was more beneficial. Thanks.



    It's my 3rd laptop and before their time there were two desktops, so I'll just keep majority of 'junk' on those two laptops (they're HDD storage, but it's nearly 2TB of storage combined), at least until I get an external drive or a satisfactory USB stick. This laptop I plan on keeping relatively clean.
    Hi there

    @81VT

    OK a bit OT here but it follows on from the last bit of your post.
    Why not use those older machines as NAS systems - easy enough to do - any easy Linux system will work on those and then you can use all the spare storage for backups, music / video file server etc. Linux Networking is simple and always works straight out of the box. The OS can be very small and there's plenty of GUI's around - no need to activate anything either.
    You could even use Windows but for external file sharing etc at home it's not a good method -- Windows SERVER versions are available but these are aimed at corporate markets and the expense doesn't warrant their use in typical HOME environments.

    All the software you need for setting up a Linux NAS is 100% free and it will run on really old hardware very acceptably too.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  10. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 12,952
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #10

    Hello @81VT,
    Welcome to TenForums.

    81VT said:
    OK - haven't heard of Macrium Reflect before and will look into it...

    I've used mostly Aomei Partition Assistant and had it installed after the first 'clean' Win 10 install plus VLC, so I figured: "meh, not worth merging partitions just to keep those two I can re-install with no sweat anyway", ergo another clean (this time) install was more beneficial. Thanks.

    I also use AOMEI Backupper Standard and AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, and have done for a few years, it suits my needs.



    Here is some information with respect to Macrium Reflect . . .

     Macrium Reflect - Imaging & Backup

    Macrium Reflect is a trusted and recommended source that is widely used in this forum, therefore, there is plenty of help available for ANY questions or advice if needed.

    Download => Macrium Reflect - FREE Edition

    Quote from their website . . .

    FREE Edition

    A free back up, disk imaging, and cloning solution capable of meeting the needs of both commercial and personal users.

    Protect your data, upgrade your hard disk or try new operating systems safe in the knowledge that everything is securely saved in an easily recovered backup file. Macrium Reflect supports back up to local, network, and USB drives, and is licensed for both home and business use.



    Here are a couple of TenForums Tutorials that might also be useful . . .

    > How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect
    > Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition



    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums