Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,145
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2
       #21

    rlh99 said:
    That brings up another point. I discovered (after 12 years) how to boot a USB flash drive (for the W10 d/l from MS). It took a lot of searching through a lot of unhappy posts from people who could not boot a USB device on various Gigabyte MBs. It's very simple, just counter-intuitive: Plug in your USB drive, hit F12 during the POST, then ignore the various USB options provided, and instead select Hard Disk (which has a '+' alongside it). That will open a drop-down that shows your real HD, and your USB device! Select that, hit Enter, and wait... eventually it boots. There is not a single word about that in the paper manual, nor the online manual from Gigabyte.
    I wish I had known about that last year when I upgraded one of my desktops with a Gigabyte motherboard from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It could have saved me a lot of time. I ended up burning a Windows 10 DVD.

    Checking now...
    Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?-boot1b.jpg Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?-boot2b.jpg
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 14
    W7 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #22

    Yeah, I can't take credit for it, but it has obviously been a problem for a lot of people for a long time, so I thought it was worth giving it some air, particularly in a thread where using a bootable thumb drive will come up.

    I've always been happy with my MB, but this has irritated me a couple of times over the years.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,924
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #23

    idgat said:
    (EDIT : Only condition would not work with mobo is if computer was so old still had PATA connection ..... ?)
    though there are some PATA/IDE based SSD drives out there - NewEgg has a bunch of them

    rlh99 said:
    That brings up another point. I discovered (after 12 years) how to boot a USB flash drive (for the W10 d/l from MS). It took a lot of searching through a lot of unhappy posts from people who could not boot a USB device on various Gigabyte MBs. It's very simple, just counter-intuitive: Plug in your USB drive, hit F12 during the POST, then ignore the various USB options provided, and instead select Hard Disk (which has a '+' alongside it). That will open a drop-down that shows your real HD, and your USB device! Select that, hit Enter, and wait... eventually it boots. There is not a single word about that in the paper manual, nor the online manual from Gigabyte.

    Again, thank you, friends.
    I definitely use a Gigabyte board (a GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 board that uses AMD Socket AM3+ CPUs) and confusingly booting onto a usb drive does involve pressing the F12 key then selecting my usb drive from the "hard drive" section rather from any of the USB selections on the boot menu. only a minor inconvenience for me
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 14
    W7 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #24

    ... only a minor inconvenience for me
    Indeed, it is hardly even an inconvenience. The problem is that it's not documented anywhere... is it in your MB manual?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,145
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2
       #25

    erpster4 said:
    though there are some PATA/IDE based SSD drives out there - NewEgg has a bunch of them



    I definitely use a Gigabyte board (a GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 board that uses AMD Socket AM3+ CPUs) and confusingly booting onto a usb drive does involve pressing the F12 key then selecting my usb drive from the "hard drive" section rather from any of the USB selections on the boot menu. only a minor inconvenience for me
    I forgot to mention in the screenshots in post #21 that they were for my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 motherboard. It is also for AMD Socket AM3+ CPUs. I made the screenshots to not only verify the information for myself but to document the information for if or when I have to install Windows 10 again. If I don't document this now I may forget about it.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 4,224
    Windows 10
       #26

    I saw a more recent story online to the same effect, but here's something from Ed Bott at ZDNet from March 3, 2021, on this very topic. Apparently the free upgrade still works. Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,145
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2
       #27

    EdTittel said:
    I saw a more recent story online to the same effect, but here's something from Ed Bott at ZDNet from March 3, 2021, on this very topic. Apparently the free upgrade still works. Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet
    HTH,
    --Ed--
    The Ed Bott at ZDNet article only talks about upgrading the retail versions of Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10 for free. What about Windows 7 and 8.1 Enterprise? Online articles I have read and the Windows 10 Wikipedia article state that the free upgrade is only for retail versions of Windows.

    Back in 2013 I purchased Windows 8.0 Enterprise for a non-profit. In our Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) account were downloads for both Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise. I chose to download and install Windows 8 Pro. I later downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 Pro. I successfully did a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro like everyone here has done.

    Note that all versions of Windows I obtained from the VLSC were activated with volume MAK keys.

    I suspect that if I had chosen to download and install Windows 8.0/8.1 Enterprise instead of Windows 8.0/8.1 Pro the free upgrade may have been denied.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 18,402
    Windows 11 Pro
       #28

    @MisterEd,

    See here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-upgrade-paths

    The table shows Windows 7and 8 Enterprise is upgradeable to Windows 10 Enterprise.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,145
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2
       #29

    NavyLCDR said:
    @MisterEd,

    See here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-upgrade-paths

    The table shows Windows 7and 8 Enterprise is upgradeable to Windows 10 Enterprise.
    Upgrading Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise was never in doubt. Your reference only verified what I already knew. The problem was doing it for free. I could only have done it for free if I had continued to pay for Software Assurance. I let it lapse 5 years ago. If I wanted to upgrade Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise now I would have to buy a new license for Windows 10 Enterprise.

    I originally bought Windows 8 from TechSoup. I just checked. I can buy Windows 10 Enterprise Upgrade (donation) there for a $20 administrative fee . Not free but the price is right. If I were to buy this the download link and volume keys (KMS/MAK) would appear in our account at the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center.

    Still I am glad I installed Windows 8 Pro in the beginning. As a small non-profit we had no use for the extra feature in Windows 8 Enterprise anyways.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #30

    MisterEd said:
    Upgrading Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise was never in doubt. Your reference only verified what I already knew. The problem was doing it for free. I could only have done it for free if I had continued to pay for Software Assurance. I let it lapse 5 years ago. If I wanted to upgrade Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise now I would have to buy a new license for Windows 10 Enterprise.

    I originally bought Windows 8 from TechSoup. I just checked. I can buy Windows 10 Enterprise Upgrade (donation) there for a $20 administrative fee . Not free but the price is right. If I were to buy this the download link and volume keys (KMS/MAK) would appear in our account at the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center.

    Still I am glad I installed Windows 8 Pro in the beginning. As a small non-profit we had no use for the extra feature in Windows 8 Enterprise anyways.
    Hi there
    Also even from W7 the old Technet keys still work if you still kept those - you don't need the ISO's but just the keys -- even the retail ones were good for zillions of activations.

    Although old also (slightly OT) I'm quite happy to use OFFICE 2010 pro on VM's -- there's only a few things that I really can use in Office 2019 / 365 and then only in EXCEL. 99% of what I do Office 2010 works perfectly -- its mainly all the "Team and collaboration" integration that's missing -- and these days with ZOOM etc I don't need that stuff any more anyway.

    So if you have the old technet keys - for OFFICE 2010 the "Terminal services key" will give about 10 million activations !!!! - just enter the product key at install time.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums