Win10 upgrade asking me to uninstall already-removed Acronis software

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 116
    Windows 7 - trying to upgrade
    Thread Starter
       #81

    SIW2 said:
    Out of curiosity, is that an H61 motherboard ?
    Hi - Nope. This is a P8Z68 DELUXE Mobo.

    ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ghot said:
    That's highly possible. There seem to be many Windows 10 issues that are solved by flashing to the latest BIOS. Especially update and upgrade issues.


    Be advised that almost every time, for ASUS motherboards, the BIOS file must be renamed before attempting the BIOS flash.
    The exact instructions will be in your motherboard manual... (available in pdf form at the ASUS website).
    Is flashing to the latest BIOS generally a safe operation?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Tekkie Boy said:
    So that you can find out whether the bios is causing the error, do this:

    Create an installation medium (USB Stick or DVD) with the Windows version with which you want to perform the upgrade and then boot from the Install medium.

    If the boot process crashes when the Windows boot logo is shown and the computer restarts, is it a bios problem.


    But if you can boot up to the setup wizard, it is not because of the bios.
    Good idea, but I'm not sure if this is entirely true. The way BIOS boots to a USB drive is doing to be different than the way it boots to a SATA drive, isn't that correct? Or maybe I am wrong?

    - - - Updated - - -

    f14tomcat said:
    This only installs the download tool. How would I install a full clean Win 10 OS onto a USB?

    But maybe I am misunderstanding what Tekkie Boy suggested? Is the suggestion to boot from the USB with the installer tool? Or to boot from a USB with a full Win 10 installation? Reading again, it sounds like the suggestion is to boot from the upgrade tool on USB. If so, why would that prove whether the BIOS is the issue?

    - - - Updated - - -

    MisterEd said:
    I have two old computers that could not be upgraded to Windows 10.
    However, a clean install of Windows 10 was a success.

    ASUS M4N82 Deluxe (purchased 8/5/2009)
    • Upgrade of Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home failed
    • Clean install of Windows 10 Home was a success


    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (purchased 7/11/2011)
    • Upgrade of Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro failed
    • Clean install of Windows 10 Pro was a success
    This is good to know, but the error that Windows provides should be different depending on the cause of the issue. Were you getting the error that I posted here? Everything I've found about that particular error code seems to point to something boot-related (disk/boot protocol/bios)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 22,732
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4123 (x64) [22H2]
       #82

    lbeachmike said:
    Is flashing to the latest BIOS generally a safe operation?

    Generally yes. But your motherboard is so old... the latest BIOS is year 2012 (before Windows 10).
    So flashing to the latest BIOS probably won't help in your case.


    On the Boot tab in the BIOS you can set the Boot Option #1 to your USB stick, and the Boot Option #2 to your Windows drive.

    That way, when you finally decide to do a clean install.... the comp will automatically check for a bootable USB stick... first.



    Win10 upgrade asking me to uninstall already-removed Acronis software-image1.png
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 116
    Windows 7 - trying to upgrade
    Thread Starter
       #83

    Ghot said:
    Generally yes. But your motherboard is so old... the latest BIOS is year 2012 (before Windows 10).
    So flashing to the latest BIOS probably won't help in your case.
    That's what I am thinking. Every thread I found on this issue says to set the BIOS to boot in UEFI mode, but I don't seem to have any such option. However, ASUS support said it would be compatible. Not convinced.

    Why reset BIOS to defaults before flashing?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22,732
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4123 (x64) [22H2]
       #84

    lbeachmike said:
    That's what I am thinking. Every thread I found on this issue says to set the BIOS to boot in UEFI mode, but I don't seem to have any such option. However, ASUS support said it would be compatible. Not convinced.

    Why reset BIOS to defaults before flashing?

    That's just standard operating procedure.

    The P8Z68 DELUXE already IS... UEFI. Look at the pic (top) in post #82
    It says: EFI BIOS Utility.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 116
    Windows 7 - trying to upgrade
    Thread Starter
       #85

    Thanks for the additional info. So not sure then if updating the BIOS is a prudent course of action.

    Looks like my board should run Windows 10 -

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-402a3dbbc934
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 22,732
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4123 (x64) [22H2]
       #86

    lbeachmike said:
    Thanks for the additional info. So not sure then if updating the BIOS is a prudent course of action.

    Looks like my board should run Windows 10 -

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-402a3dbbc934


    I see Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard at ASUS. That article you linked is 6 years old.



    Win10 upgrade asking me to uninstall already-removed Acronis software-image1.png




    You can find the drivers here...

    Download Center | Official Support | ASUS USA

    You have to choose in the drop down boxes (shown with the red dots)...

    Win10 upgrade asking me to uninstall already-removed Acronis software-image1.png



    Win10 upgrade asking me to uninstall already-removed Acronis software-image1.png



    Like I said in post #3. If you want Windows 10 on that comp... I would do a clean install, rather than try to upgrade from Win 7 to Windows 10.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 850
    Win 10
       #87

    lbeachmike said:
    Good idea, but I'm not sure if this is entirely true. The way BIOS boots to a USB drive is doing to be different than the way it boots to a SATA drive, isn't that correct? Or maybe I am wrong?
    But maybe I am misunderstanding what Tekkie Boy suggested? Is the suggestion to boot from the USB with the installer tool? Or to boot from a USB with a full Win 10 installation? Reading again, it sounds like the suggestion is to boot from the upgrade tool on USB. If so, why would that prove whether the BIOS is the issue?
    I meant it like @f14tomcat wrote.

    Create a USB stick with the Media Creation Tool and boot from it. If the boot process crashes, there is a problem with the BIOS.

    Booting in the Safe OS phase during the upgrade corresponds to the same boot process as from the USB stick.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 116
    Windows 7 - trying to upgrade
    Thread Starter
       #88

    Tekkie Boy said:
    I meant it like @f14tomcat wrote.

    Create a USB stick with the Media Creation Tool and boot from it. If the boot process crashes, there is a problem with the BIOS.

    Booting in the Safe OS phase during the upgrade corresponds to the same boot process as from the USB stick.
    I tried this and it boots normally from the USB stick into the Windows setup utility. So if the BIOS is ruled out, this means it is probably some sort of driver incompatibility issue?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also, currently when I boot to regular disk, I get a boot menu of something like -

    1 - Windows Installer
    2 - Windows 7

    If I try again to boot to the Installer and it fails, when I reboot, will I be able to still get the boot menu so that I can definitely boot back into Windows 7?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 850
    Win 10
       #89

    When the computer boots from the stick, then remove the stick and boot into Windows 7 again.

    Is a encryption software such as TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt installed on the computer?

    Which antivirus program is installed on the computer?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 116
    Windows 7 - trying to upgrade
    Thread Starter
       #90

    Tekkie Boy said:
    When the computer boots from the stick, then remove the stick and boot into Windows 7 again.

    Is a encryption software such as TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt installed on the computer?

    Which antivirus program is installed on the computer?
    There is no encryption software.

    I run ESET Nod32 Antivirus, and I also run Malwarebytes.

    My boot question was without the stick.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums