Windows 10 Clean Install


  1. Posts : 6
    Win10 version 20H2 build 19042.804
       #1

    Windows 10 Clean Install


    Dell Inspiron 3580 ; 1T HHD & 8GB RAM ; Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 5405U @ 2.30GHz,

    Hello to all. I thought I would join the forum, especially since I find myself always gettings answers off it. Anyways, I did I clean install of Windows 10 Home. Did all the backups, recovery image, etc.... It seemed like it went well. After install, I went straight to "updates" and am still making sure drivers are okay. After the updates ran, it appears I am a test subject, as I now have Windows 10 Home, version 20H2, build 19042.804, and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0!! As I am reviewing drivers, I have noticed some devices/hardware (with the yellow triangle) that are really for Ubuntu installations I believe. As an example, a yellow triangle shows on a piece of hardware called Intel Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911 under the PCI Express Root Complex (also called Sky Lake); currently there is NO driver installed for it, but the one that goes with it is Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) driver version 10.1.1.44. So I am confused. If I am correct, how are Ubunto devices getting installed? Second...will it hurt the computer since I am running Windows 10? And third...if they are for Ubuntu, shouldI just disable them instead of hunting for drivers? I did a Restore Point AFTER the clean install and maybe these devices came through when I was doing the system updates. So I could, if I have to, go back to that first restore point. Thanks for reading the rambling. Good Day and I appreciate any feedback
      My Computer

  2. FreeBooter's Avatar
    Posts : 4,070
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #2

    Obtaining Hardware ID's to help Identify Hardware
    - Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Expand the "Unknown Device" category by clicking on the + sign to the left of it
    - Right click on the "Unknown device" (if there's more than one, do this for all of them) and select Properties.
    - Then select the Details tab.
    - In the dropdown box, select "Hardware IDs" - and match the info to one of the following descriptions:
    - - If the Hardware IDs description contains VEN_ and DEV_, then let us know the 4 characters immediately after the VEN_ and the 4 characters immediately after the DEV_
    this is a PCI device and we'll look up the information at http://www.pcidatabase.com
    - - If the Hardware IDs description contains VID_ and PID_, then let us know the 4 characters immediately after the VID_ and the 4 characters immediately after the PID_
    this is a USB device and we'll look up the information at http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
    If you don't have those items in the Hardware IDs description, copy down the entire string of the first entry and include that with your next post.
      My Computer

  3. pparks1's Avatar
    Posts : 1,855
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    Gilligan71 said:
    Dell Inspiron 3580 ; 1T HHD & 8GB RAM ; Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 5405U @ 2.30GHz]Hello to all. I thought I would join the forum, especially since I find myself always gettings answers off it.
    That is a great reason to join.....so welcome.


    Gilligan71 said:
    As I am reviewing drivers, I have noticed some devices/hardware (with the yellow triangle) that are really for Ubuntu installations I believe.
    The yellow exclamation points are for hardware devices that currently aren't setup correctly. Those items aren't for Ubuntu, its for the hardware that you have installed on your motherboard and your extra devices that you might have plugged in.

    Step1: Go to the dell website, put in your service tag # and it will give you drivers to download. Find the "chipset" drivers and install these. Once installed, see if your exclamation points are gone.

    If issues still persist, there is likely another driver that you will need to install from Dell.

    Let us know where you get to after the chipset drivers are installed.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 38,716
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 6
    Win10 version 20H2 build 19042.804
    Thread Starter
       #5

    FreeBooter said:
    Obtaining Hardware ID's to help Identify Hardware
    - Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Expand the "Unknown Device" category by clicking on the + sign to the left of it
    - Right click on the "Unknown device" (if there's more than one, do this for all of them) and select Properties.
    - Then select the Details tab.
    - In the dropdown box, select "Hardware IDs" - and match the info to one of the following descriptions:
    - - If the Hardware IDs description contains VEN_ and DEV_, then let us know the 4 characters immediately after the VEN_ and the 4 characters immediately after the DEV_
    this is a PCI device and we'll look up the information at http://www.pcidatabase.com
    - - If the Hardware IDs description contains VID_ and PID_, then let us know the 4 characters immediately after the VID_ and the 4 characters immediately after the PID_
    this is a USB device and we'll look up the information at http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
    If you don't have those items in the Hardware IDs description, copy down the entire string of the first entry and include that with your next post.
    Yes...I did all that (or at least with my knowledge level). And what I found was geared more towards Ubuntu. Like I mentioned this last update...honestly I have NO clue what it attached to the motherboard. I forgot to attach this, but I did have this out together. I did HardwareIDs, CompatibleIDs, and SiblingIDs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 Clean Install-unknown-dervice-2-10-21-compressed.jpeg  
      My Computer

  6. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,772
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    Did you go to Dell's Support website?

    Windows 10 Clean Install-capture.jpg

    If it was me, I'd click on that check for updates button on Dell's website.
      My Computer

  7. FreeBooter's Avatar
    Posts : 4,070
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #7

    The results I'm seeing from Googling "VEN_8086&DEV_1911" suggest that it's related to a CPU component, which means the driver is probably packaged into one of the many Intel packages in the Chipset category of the Downloads section of support.dell.com for that system.

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911 is the device of:

    Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Win10 version 20H2 build 19042.804
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Thanks everyone


    Wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. It is a bit amusing and frustrating at the same time. I ran everyone utility (Dell, Intel, Microsoft) and of course all said the laptop was up to date. Spent days and hours with Dell and Microsoft. I went from running Intel diagnostics to repair and replacing chipsets....I don't know how many sfc /scannow and dism /ScanHealth, /CheckHealth, /RestoreHealth I ran. Well...ended up solving it and my initial thought was correct, I just had to fine the right driver. So for my Dell Inspiron 3580, the driver that worked best without any errors was version 10.1.1.45 dated 1/2/2018. Hopefully this helps others if needed. Thanks again!!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 38,716
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums