Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD


    Hi guys,

    I have the Windows 10 Pro ISO with a Windows 10 key. (from MSDN)

    I want to install Windows 10 as dual boot with Windows 8.1. Both are x64.

    Is it possible to install Windows 10 from the ISO? I know you can upgrade that way. But I want to do a clean install AND install alongside Windows 8.1.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #2

    nushydude said:
    Hi guys,

    I have the Windows 10 Pro ISO with a Windows 10 key. (from MSDN)

    I want to install Windows 10 as dual boot with Windows 8.1. Both are x64.

    Is it possible to install Windows 10 from the ISO? I know you can upgrade that way. But I want to do a clean install AND install alongside Windows 8.1.
    Create a new partition on your drive or install to a separate drive, should have no problems.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Bazz said:
    Create a new partition on your drive or install to a separate drive, should have no problems.
    I have cleared a partition for Windows 10.
    C:\ = primary = 100GB: has Windows 8.1 on it
    D:\ = primary = to be used for Windows 10
    E:\ = logical/secondary = data partition

    There are other system partitions too.

    So you are saying that I can simply mount the ISO in Windows 8.1 and run the setup and choose D: partition as the install location for Windows 10 and it will work?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    I tried it. Sadly, the installer doesn't give the option to choose the partition. It just uses the same partition where Windows 8.1 is installed.

    I only get 3 options.

    1. Save settings and user data : means, upgrade
    2. Save only user data : means, upgrade
    3. Delete everything : means clean installation deleting windows 8.1
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 8
    Windows 7/10/Ubuntu
       #5

    Does the installer give you the option to perform a custom install? Akin to the following page:
    How to Dual-Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD


    Shamalanana said:
    Does the installer give you the option to perform a custom install? Akin to the following page:
    How to Dual-Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8
    No. I suppose they removed it from RTM?
    Last edited by nushydude; 18 Aug 2015 at 02:25.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8
    Windows 7/10/Ubuntu
       #7

    Without researching, the fastest answer I can give you would be the following.

    1) Disconnect your existing HDD.
    2) Connect a new/spare HDD.
    3) Install Windows 10 to the new/spare.
    4) Reconnect previous HDD.
    5) Ghost/Clone the new/spare to your partition on the previous HDD.
    6) Run the Windows boot repair on Windows 8 or 10, they should both add the second entry. (Or manually add the entry using Bootcfg?)
      My Computer

  8. Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 108
    windows 8.1
       #8

    nushydude said:
    No. I supposed they removed it from RTM?

    How windows RTM related with your problem. ?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Shamalanana said:
    Without researching, the fastest answer I can give you would be the following.

    1) Disconnect your existing HDD.
    2) Connect a new/spare HDD.
    3) Install Windows 10 to the new/spare.
    4) Reconnect previous HDD.
    5) Ghost/Clone the new/spare to your partition on the previous HDD.
    6) Run the Windows boot repair on Windows 8 or 10, they should both add the second entry. (Or manually add the entry using Bootcfg?)
    Too tedious. I'll probably get someone burn a DVD then.

    i downloaded Windows 10 in VHD format. Can it be used to install Windows? For example, copy everything on it to the physical partition, do a boot repair and Windows will make it bootable? After that, it will probably redetect all the hardware?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Williams said:
    How windows RTM related with your problem. ?
    Because that guide is from last year so it refers to preview builds.

    Microsoft probably removed the ability to mount a Windows 10 RTM ISO and run the setup from there to install it as dual boot. I have no other explanation why the custom install option isn't showing. This probably is due to activation.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums