Windows 10, trying to install on my HP laptop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 15
    windows 8
       #1

    Windows 10, trying to install on my HP laptop


    I purchased this laptop from the windows store almost 2 years ago
    I tried installing windows 10, i had windows 8.0 on it, read a blog it said keep updating till the icon comes in the corner.
    What would happen is i used their tool, and then it would download and verify then the window would just close.
    I updated till i saw the icon. Once i saw the icon again, i tried to install it again and the same thing. It will download windows and then it would get to a point and the program would close down.
    Anyone know whats going on?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4,457
    Win 11 Pro 22000.708
       #2

    sotorious said:
    I purchased this laptop from the windows store almost 2 years ago
    I tried installing windows 10, i had windows 8.0 on it, read a blog it said keep updating till the icon comes in the corner.
    What would happen is i used their tool, and then it would download and verify then the window would just close.
    I updated till i saw the icon. Once i saw the icon again, i tried to install it again and the same thing. It will download windows and then it would get to a point and the program would close down.
    Anyone know whats going on?
    I don't know.

    However, I suggest using the Media Creation Tool instead.

    Windows 10

    You don't need to create media, though. You can go to a direct online upgrade.

    Recommendation: an OS upgrade can fail. Backup your current installation by imaging the drive first. I use Acronis True Image, but the free version of Macrium Reflect is supposed to work well. If you have such an image, you can restore in less than a half hour. The Windows upgrade provide a means of rolling back to the old OS, but I don't think that it is reliable enough. A failed upgrade might not let you boot into Win 10 to run the rollback anyway.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 15
    windows 8
    Thread Starter
       #3

    bobkn said:
    I don't know.

    However, I suggest using the Media Creation Tool instead.

    Windows 10

    You don't need to create media, though. You can go to a direct online upgrade.

    Recommendation: an OS upgrade can fail. Backup your current installation by imaging the drive first. I use Acronis True Image, but the free version of Macrium Reflect is supposed to work well. If you have such an image, you can restore in less than a half hour. The Windows upgrade provide a means of rolling back to the old OS, but I don't think that it is reliable enough. A failed upgrade might not let you boot into Win 10 to run the rollback anyway.


    Media Creation Tool Is what I was using. I am wondering if i should try to create a usb drive with it on it instead of going direct?

    It was not giving me no error codes or anything it would just disappear off my screen when i would get to a certain point.

    Also i am looking to do a full installation i should be able to do that with that tool, a clean install correct.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13,957
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #4

    Before the next attempt, try doing the following (in no particular order after the backup is complete):

    Create an image backpack of your existing operating system to an external USB hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free.

    Check for updated drivers for your hardware at the manufacturers web site.
    Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and display EVERYTHING!
    Uninstall your anti-virus if it's other than the built-in Defender.
    Uninstall your firewall if it's other than the built-in Firewall.
    Uninstall any Start button programs like Classic Shell, Start8, also Window Blinds, etc.
    Uninstall any theme modifications.
    If you moved any of your user folders to another drive or partition, move them back.
    See here: Successful upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 with 'Users' in other drive!

    Run chkdsk /r and let it start and complete on reboot.
    Run sfc /scannow and see if it finds and repairs any system files.

    Now try the upgrade to Windows 10.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 13,957
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #5

    sotorious said:
    Also i am looking to do a full installation i should be able to do that with that tool, a clean install correct.
    You have to complete an upgrade and activate before you can do a Clean Install to qualify for the free Windows 10 Upgrade. If you want to buy it ($119) then you can do a Clean Install the first time, but hot worth it to me.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 15
    windows 8
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I am not worried about loosing everything as far as the backup goes. I guess i just got to make sure the firewall is disabled.

    i will double check that process try and and see if it works. All the other computers worked fine that i upgraded from but this is the only one that has given me trouble.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13,957
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #7

    That list is just my compilation of things others have done that helped them get Windows 10 installed.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 15
    windows 8
    Thread Starter
       #8

    You are also saying once windows 10 is installed and upgraded from the previous windows i then shall be able to do a clean install?

    If so how would i go about doing that, would i need to make a flash drive with the windows on it or is there an option with in windows to do so.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 15
    windows 8
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Modern setup host stopped working is the error message i got this time.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 13,957
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #10

    sotorious said:
    You are also saying once windows 10 is installed and upgraded from the previous windows i then shall be able to do a clean install?

    If so how would i go about doing that, would i need to make a flash drive with the windows on it or is there an option with in windows to do so.
    You need a flash drive or a DVD since you need to boot it, not launch from inside Windows.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums