Having Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 14
    Window 7 Ultimate SP1
       #1

    Having Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1


    Last week i managed to upgrade to windows 10 after about 8-10 attempts. once i got upgraded i was having issues with the store, adding accounts to mail and login using Microsoft account details. one of the suggestions i was given was roll-back to 7 and try again!

    when i tried to roll-back it crashed and would not do anything. i then had to do a clean install so i tried to go straight for 10 as i had a ISO burnt to disk via the media creation tool. this failed and told me files were missing.
    i then had to clean install 7 ultimate and work through everything again.
    however this was not with out issues.

    now that i think these are resolved i still cannot upgrade to 10!!!
    i have tried every "tip" and "guaranteed" upgrade method i can think of or find online.
    mediacreatetool, clearing update history, deleting content of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, installing from USB(which i now in several bits after i threw it across the room and jumped on it in frustration)and ISO, unplugging other HDDs, clean installs.

    i tend to get 4/5 main errors.
    1. windows update
    Having Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-wu.png
    2. media create and sometimes the ISO/DVD ran from desktop come up with these
    Having Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-error.pngHaving Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-untitled.pngHaving Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-win10-error.png
    3. if i try to upgrade from the ISO/DVD from bootup it tells me another installation media has started upgrade to reboot and let it continue.

    if anyone can help please do.
    or i am thinking of waiting to see if it becomes easier in the months ahead once windows 10 has been out for a while.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,344
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    butchtaylor909 said:
    i then had to do a clean install so i tried to go straight for 10 as i had a ISO burnt to disk via the media creation tool. this failed and told me files were missing.
    This is the very puzzling part. If during a clean install it says files are missing, that would indicate that the disk did not burn correctly or the ISO was corrupt. Exactly how did you attempt the clean install? Boot from dvd, select custom install, delete all partitions on the hard drive and click on the unallocated space to install to?

    Keep in mind that a clean install of Windows 10 will only install if an upgrade to Windows 10 has once already. You probably got activation on the upgrade, even though it had problems afterwards.

    I would download a fresh ISO. Here is another Microsoft location to get a different ISO:
    Tech Bench

    Boot from a newly created DVD or USB flash drive. During the process when you are asked to enter a product key, click the option to skip, do NOT enter ANY product keys! You will want to select the custom install option, delete all the partitions on the hard drive and install to the resulting unallocated space. Hopefully your previous upgrade activated and the clean install will activate itself. Make sure you install Pro version and not Home version.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 14
    Window 7 Ultimate SP1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    This is the very puzzling part. If during a clean install it says files are missing, that would indicate that the disk did not burn correctly or the ISO was corrupt. Exactly how did you attempt the clean install? Boot from dvd, select custom install, delete all partitions on the hard drive and click on the unallocated space to install to?

    Keep in mind that a clean install of Windows 10 will only install if an upgrade to Windows 10 has once already. You probably got activation on the upgrade, even though it had problems afterwards.
    I tried to Boot from DVD, selected Custom install,not sure if i deleted the partition or Formatted the current to drive. then tried from there.

    I think/hope that i had windows 10 activate during the brief period i had it installed, but to be safe i have been trying to upgrade since this attempt failed.


    tried from a fresh copy of the ISO via another copy of the mediacreationtool on my computer but it will not get past

    Having Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-file-17-08-2015-16-43-59.jpeg
    sorry for the poor quality, i had to use my phone before it failed again


    just grabbing your link and going to give that ago.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    If it is still giving you errors despite the fact that you deleted the partition and installed into the unallocated space, I think we have to consider some sort of hardware failure or bad sectors on the HDD. You might want to scan the drive for bad sectors.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 14
    Window 7 Ultimate SP1
    Thread Starter
       #5

    neomatter said:
    If it is still giving you errors despite the fact that you deleted the partition and installed into the unallocated space, I think we have to consider some sort of hardware failure or bad sectors on the HDD. You might want to scan the drive for bad sectors.
    think the error on that install attempt was a corrupt media. windows 7 ultimate went back on. (eventually)
    Tried scanning the SSD and nothing found. not currently trying to do a clean install just in case it did not correctly register the upgrade before. unless there is a way of finding this out?
    Tried an upgrade using the ISO suggested at
    Tech Bench
    and this is the error i got
    Having Issues upgrading to Window 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-untitled2.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #6

    I would try a clean install as per LCDR's post making sure you delete the partitions.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 14
    Window 7 Ultimate SP1
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Bazz said:
    I would try a clean install as per LCDR's post making sure you delete the partitions.
    i would do appart from
    NavyLCDR said:
    Keep in mind that a clean install of Windows 10 will only install if an upgrade to Windows 10 has once already. You probably got activation on the upgrade,
    i have no idea if it activated during the brief period i had it installed! is there a way of finding out? what would happen if it was not?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #8

    butchtaylor909 said:
    i would do appart from

    i have no idea if it activated during the brief period i had it installed! is there a way of finding out? what would happen if it was not?
    The only way to find out is to try it, how long were you using your upgrade ?.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,344
    Windows 11 Pro
       #9

    butchtaylor909 said:
    i would do appart from

    i have no idea if it activated during the brief period i had it installed! is there a way of finding out? what would happen if it was not?
    I doubt there is a way of finding out. If it did not then your Windows 10 won't activate. It will still run (with a few features disabled) for 30 days (at least, maybe more). You would have to go back to Windows 7/8/8.1 and try an upgrade again - or purchase a Windows 10 retail license.

    If you have to go back to a Windows 7/8/8.1, I would do a clean install, deleting all the partitions on the hard drive and as soon as it is activated do the Windows 10 upgrade by running Setup.exe on the USB or DVD from within the Windows 7. Don't do any updates to the Windows 7.

    Do you have any other hard drives connected when trying to do this? If so, disconnect them.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 14
    Window 7 Ultimate SP1
    Thread Starter
       #10

    less than 24 hours, but i guess whats the worst that can happen. Right?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums