1.    16 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10

    Doing a Clean Install, Should I reserve the 350 MB Partition?


    Hi

    Tomorrow I am planning to do a Clean Install, which I have done a number of times using other operating systems.

    I normally go for using One partition, which in this case is the whole 500gb

    But having been having a read of the Clean Installation Instructions, I see a recommendation of reserving a 350mb Partition.

    Is this a good idea or not in practice? so I would like to know what you guys think.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Nope. Delete all the partitions on the hard drive and install on the unallocated space. Let Windows 10 make the partitions that it wants to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,288
    Windows 10 Home

    Haha! Nope. I had 7 partitions on my 2 month old Dell laptop by the time I finished the Win10 Upgrade. Blew them all away in the clean install and now only have 3. (I did keep entire disk images each step along the way.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    17 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Nope. Delete all the partitions on the hard drive and install on the unallocated space. Let Windows 10 make the partitions that it wants to.
    Hi

    I somehow had a feeling you were going to say that, so I'll just go for One Partition, like I usually do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    Haha! Nope. I had 7 partitions on my 2 month old Dell laptop by the time I finished the Win10 Upgrade. Blew them all away in the clean install and now only have 3. (I did keep entire disk images each step along the way.)
    Hi

    One Partition it is then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdesigner View Post
    Hi

    One Partition it is then.
    No, not one partition. No partitions. Delete all the partitions and install it in the unallocated space.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    17 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 107
    Windows 10

    On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, you'll need to delete all of the partitions. Select a partition and click on the "Delete" option for each partition.

    Once you have deleted all of the partitions, you only see Drive 0 Unallocated Space.

    Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows will begin. All the required partitions (see screenshots below) are created automatically during the install.

    Or, if you know what you're doing, you can click on the "New" button and create a separate data partition.



      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    17 Aug 2015 #8

    Also as your doing a clean install you should unplug any other hard drives you have in your system as Windows can sometimes isntall parts of itself on them. This of course would case problems in the future if you needed to replace the drive for some reason.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    17 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, you'll need to delete all of the partitions. Select a partition and click on the "Delete" option for each partition.

    Once you have deleted all of the partitions, you only see Drive 0 Unallocated Space.

    Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows will begin. All the required partitions (see screenshots below) are created automatically during the install.

    Or, if you know what you're doing, you can click on the "New" button and create a separate data partition.



    Hi

    Many Thanks

    For taking the trouble to do that, I think I can take it from there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    17 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    Also as your doing a clean install you should unplug any other hard drives you have in your system as Windows can sometimes isntall parts of itself on them. This of course would case problems in the future if you needed to replace the drive for some reason.
    Hi

    Many Thanks

    No other drives are Installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10
Having upgrade Windows 8.1 to W10, I wish to now do a clean install, but cannot install over current installation due to it being a GPT Partition style boot. I have heard this can be deleted and replaced with MBR but then will I have to format the...
Installation and Upgrade
We can't update the system reserve partition
Every time I try to update and install windows 10 I get this error. It seems as if my reserve partition is too small to download windows 10. How would I go about fixing this issue. I have had a dual boot of linux in the past but got rid of it months...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Clean Install - We couldn't create a new partition or locat
I originally made a USB key which booted fine, but could not install on any partition on two different PCs and 4 different drives. It gave the error message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information,...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved No System partition on new clean install
I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an...
Network and Sharing
Clean install Windows 10 and keep my Windows 8.1 partition?
Since I had trouble with the upgrade with Windows 10 running very slow i'd like to try a clean install, but i'm weary because I am afraid it will wipe my 8.1 main partition and not roll back. I'm using this as a guide, but need to make sure i'm...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums