Windows 10: Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    05 Sep 2014 #31

    The prices of SSD's in the 120 Gb range have certainly come down since I bought my first one, an OCZ Vertex III, about 3 years ago. I still use spinners for storage, but could never be satisfied with the performance of running an OS on them. SSD's have spoiled me forever.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Sep 2014 #32

    I have a SSD arriving from Amazon today. Crucial 120GB for 67.00.
    I'll use this for the OS/Programs and the current one for data and Win9 if I dual boot.
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       05 Sep 2014 #33

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I have a SSD arriving from Amazon today. Crucial 120GB for 67.00.
    I'll use this for the OS/Programs and the current one for data and Win9 if I dual boot.
    Jeff

    Have fun with it Jeff!
    I also have a Crucial V4 128GB SSD which I got for only $49 from a local store. Not the fastest type but it is sure fast enough. Just using it for Linux.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Sep 2014 #34

    badrobot said: View Post
    Have fun with it Jeff!
    I also have a Crucial V4 128GB SSD which I got for only $49 from a local store. Not the fastest type but it is sure fast enough. Just using it for Linux.
    Thanks.. It came in about 30 minutes ago.
    I'm just about all set to do the job and I'll wait until this evening after dinner.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       05 Sep 2014 #35

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Thanks.. It came in about 30 minutes ago.
    I'm just about all set to do the job and I'll wait until this evening after dinner.
    I am sure you will never go back to spinners.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Sep 2014 #36

    badrobot said: View Post
    I am sure you will never go back to spinners.
    I like the SSD for the OS/Programs but I'm still keeping spinners for data and other things.
    I just can't justify the cost of an SSD for general storage yet.
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       06 Sep 2014 #37

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I like the SSD for the OS/Programs but I'm still keeping spinners for data and other things.
    I just can't justify the cost of an SSD for general storage yet.
    Jeff
    I think that's what everybody is doing. I am not gonna buy any SSD that is more than 120GB anymore. I made a mistake of getting one Samsung 840 series 240GB and it is way more than what I need for just a boot drive. All my data goes to the HDD. But if you are doing dual or triple boot, I think it's ok. But I generally avoid doing dual boot on the same drive except it's just for pure testing and will be wiped out anytime.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    06 Sep 2014 #38

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I like the SSD for the OS/Programs but I'm still keeping spinners for data and other things.
    I just can't justify the cost of an SSD for general storage yet.
    Jeff
    I hear you on justifying the cost of storing data on an SDD. I have 5 HDDs for storage purposes and I think that is sufficient.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       06 Sep 2014 #39

    LittleJay said: View Post
    I hear you on justifying the cost of storing data on an SDD. I have 5 HDDs for storage purposes and I think that is sufficient.

    That's plenty!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    07 Sep 2014 #40

    badrobot said: View Post
    That's plenty!
    I've had most of the spinners for quite a few years now and since I don't use them as an OS drive anymore they seem to last forever.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates...
Solved No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10 in Installation and Upgrade
HIYAS I have installed Win10 on secondary partition while keeping Windows 8.1 as primary. Everything went fine, after few reboots Win 10 was ready to use. After setting up things I rebooted, In boot manager I have two entries - Windows 10 as...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:29.
Find Us