Windows 10: Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
       14 Aug 2015 #1

    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10


    My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows numbers OXe 19000101 - OX 30018.
    I've downloaded also to a USB using the ISO selection. Never have tried using an ISO before. I've used WinRar and 7zip to load the ISO file, but that doesn't work either... Been working on this, reading everything I can on the internet and I'm about ready to give up. I've downloaded Win 10 to my desktop and everything went fine.

    The laptop is only about 4 years old, purchased from Tiger Direct. I've kept it updated also use Avast (free) anti virus, IObit malware program, CrapCleaner and Advanced System Care Pro.

    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.....Thank you.......................... Dewey
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Aug 2015 #2

    I'm confused by what you post. Normally, if you chose to download the .iso, it'd be to a hard drive. The tool can also create a bootable USB flash drive. (I've never used it for that. I got the .iso.)

    If you have the .iso, you can extract it to a folder using 7Zip. Run setup .exe from that folder.

    Good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Aug 2015 #3

    I had the same error. This solved it for me.

    After many attempts the installation always had problems and stuck around 8% ( I even left it on for 20hours ). This was using usb connected to a ssd drive with 'keep all settings' selected. I decided to try again freeing up as much space as I can on my aging tablet PC ( samsung series 7 slate XE700T1A-A01UK ), I managed to get 30GB free ( previous attempts had 14GB free and 21GB free ( failed install )) from the hard drive ( ssd too ) and I deleted all unnecessary programs and uninstalled the antivirus AVG.

    On my next attempt I decided to install win 10 with a 'Keep Nothing' set up and steered away from the check for updates option and the install went like a dream and worked very well. Feels like I have a new tablet PC. There is one issue which I will address in another post.

    I hope this helps and good luck.
    Last edited by damocles; 15 Aug 2015 at 10:39.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 9
    Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
    Thread Starter
       15 Aug 2015 #4

    bobkn said: View Post
    I'm confused by what you post. Normally, if you chose to download the .iso, it'd be to a hard drive. The tool can also create a bootable USB flash drive. (I've never used it for that. I got the .iso.)

    If you have the .iso, you can extract it to a folder using 7Zip. Run setup .exe from that folder.

    Good luck.
    All my attempts with a straight download failed. I then checked ISO and downloaded to a USB drive. I unzipped the ISO with 7zip. When I click on "setup" I get the message "Use the other installation disk that says 64bit. When you insert it Windows will start automatically" I used the 64bit MediaCreationTool for the download. I have Win7 SP1 64bit so I don't understand why the ISO is requesting 2nd disk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Aug 2015 #5

    Dewey said: View Post
    All my attempts with a straight download failed. I then checked ISO and downloaded to a USB drive. I unzipped the ISO with 7zip. When I click on "setup" I get the message "Use the other installation disk that says 64bit. When you insert it Windows will start automatically" I used the 64bit MediaCreationTool for the download. I have Win7 SP1 64bit so I don't understand why the ISO is requesting 2nd disk.
    The 64 bit media creation tool is to run on a 64 bit OS. It allows you to download both 32 and 64 bit ISOs. Sounds like you accidentally got the 32 bit ISO.

    I hope that doing another 3GB download isn't a problem for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 9
    Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
    Thread Starter
       15 Aug 2015 #6

    bobkn said: View Post
    The 64 bit media creation tool is to run on a 64 bit OS. It allows you to download both 32 and 64 bit ISOs. Sounds like you accidentally got the 32 bit ISO.

    I hope that doing another 3GB download isn't a problem for you.
    I had downloaded the correct 64bit mediacreation tool.
    Double checked it to make sure. Tried again this time
    selecting install with no apps. This time it went through
    download, update, and install to 65% complete. Then it said
    it had to close and get more info/ closed and opened with
    it could no longer complete the install and then gave me the original
    msg I'd been getting. error in first boot phase. I guess now its, wipe the
    drive re-install win 7 and the try to update to 10.....this is 7 attempts to install 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Aug 2015 #7

    The first 32 bit 64 bit choice is based on what OS your running it on. If your running the setup on a 64 bit OS you use the 64 bit setup. After that you also have a 32 bit of 64 bit option for the ISO you download. Sounds like you downloaded the 32 bit ISO by accident. Pay close attention and you'll see what I mean.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    15 Aug 2015 #8

    Dewey said: View Post
    I had downloaded the correct 64bit mediacreation tool.
    Double checked it to make sure. Tried again this time
    selecting install with no apps. This time it went through
    download, update, and install to 65% complete. Then it said
    it had to close and get more info/ closed and opened with
    it could no longer complete the install and then gave me the original
    msg I'd been getting. error in first boot phase. I guess now its, wipe the
    drive re-install win 7 and the try to update to 10.....this is 7 attempts to install 10
    Is this a different installer than the one you used in Post #4?

    I Googled a bit on the error that you mention in Post #1. One possible cause is antivirus software. Did you deactivate (or uninstall) Avast before attempting the upgrade?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 9
    Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
    Thread Starter
       16 Aug 2015 #9

    bobkn said: View Post
    Is this a different installer than the one you used in Post #4?

    I Googled a bit on the error that you mention in Post #1. One possible cause is antivirus software. Did you deactivate (or uninstall) Avast before attempting the upgrade?
    Nope....same installer as before....The first few times I deactivated my Avast anit-virus. This last time I uninstalled it
    completely. I've tried one more time. I've downloaded the 64bit installer to another USB drive and tomorrow I'm
    going to try for the last time to unzip the installer to it's own folder in my C: drive and give it a go......
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 5,012
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       16 Aug 2015 #10

    I don't think it will work when unzipped to a folder on C: since C: is the drive\partition you are updating. I think I tried this and ended up in some kind of install loop.

    I finally ended up just mounting the ISO and running setup.exe from there. Since this is not supported natively in Windows 7 you would have to install a program to allow you to do this, like: How do I mount iso image file in Windows 7?

    I think unzipping the ISO to a folder on a different drive/partition would also work but I haven't tried that yet.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: • Latest security •...
Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked...
I am running W7 Ultimate, with a Core i5-2500K cpu. I recently got a used Core i7-3770K cpu, which I'd like to install. Should I complete this hardware change before or after upgrading to W10? Everything seems to be running fine right now with...
my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38.
Find Us