Clean install in UEFI mode

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 137
    Win10 Pro 21H1
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Thanks for the info. I have put 2004 on a spare PC we have upstairs but I'm thinking recover 1909 from the last backup I took of it and stick with it for the forseeable future. The latest backup is only a few weeks old at most since I replaced a couple of drives in the PC and made a backup before installing 2004 and since the spare PC isn't used very much at all I should be able to manage very well. Will see about doing that tomorrow. Thanks again for the info.

    Any comments re recovering current Windows install whilst having changed both mobo and CPU?

    Tracey
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #12

    Megahertz said:
    I already have Win 10 ver 2004 but my Win 10 isn't my main OS. I still use Win 7 (for same reason).
    You answered all my questions

    Megahertz said:
    If ver 1909 has everything you need, why install ver 2004 that still has issues?
    You won't know until you install it on "your" machine. And not everyone has issues or the same issues.

    But, as I said, you won't get it anyway if MS deems your system unworthy. And those who've not been offered the update but forced it anyway accepted the risk that they may encounter issues. The may say otherwise, but if you weren't offered the update but forced it anyway, well, yeah... you accepted the risks.

    Those that were offered and suffered issues, move back to 1909 or try to solve the issue(s).
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 27,447
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1
       #13

    Again I mention motherboard you are getting. Think I would want to ensure it is set to boot as per the old device, legacy or UEFI

    It will likely not activate given the change but I've seen several threads where windows gets the necessary new drivers and off it goes. I've done the same, restored from one device to another. Windows works but wouldn't activate. If it is a retail copy of Windows 10 on old device you can transfer license. If OEM it may not accept.

    Is the digital license on the original pc associated with a MS id. Might be able to use Activation trouble shooter to activate. I could never get it to work but some smart people here may have process.

    If you are getting new OEM license you can use it to activate.

    Restoring should only take an hour and you will see if it boots and run, no harm trying.


    I don't really like idea of restoring old system on new gear as it brings over baggage but I can understand husbands desire. The OS discussion is really not appropriate, it will be what you restore from old machine and I think it is 1909.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #14

    Caledon Ken said:
    Again I mention motherboard you are getting. Think I would want to ensure it is set to boot as per the old device, legacy or UEFI
    Honestly, I'm 99.999 sure nearly all motherboards sold/bought today are set for UEFI install, especially if they support Windows 10. It's the legacy support you need to configure them for now. All you really need to do is choose UEFI install when installing the OS. It's certainly been this way for my last four (Gigabyte) motherboards supporting UEFI - Z87, Z170, Z270, Z390.

    Add that if you're running Windows 10 and modern hardware there's no reason not the use UEFI.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 15,985
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #15

    Megahertz said:
    As you say, after some corrections, ver 2004 will be a good OS as 1909 is now. If ver 1909 has everything you need, why install ver 2004 that still has issues?
    Good point!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 27,447
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1
       #16

    sygnus21 said:
    Honestly, I'm 99.999 sure nearly all motherboards sold/bought today are set for UEFI install, especially if they support Windows 10. It's the legacy support you need to configure them for now. All you really need to do is choose UEFI install when installing the OS. It's certainly been this way for my last four (Gigabyte) motherboards supporting UEFI - Z87, Z170, Z270, Z390.

    Add that if you're running Windows 10 and modern hardware there's no reason not the use UEFI.
    I believe Tracey is going to transfer the install from one device to other. I think old device is booting legacy.

    So I suggested setting MB BIOS to boot same.

    If I recall old machine has been through several OS's and if older could be legacy.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #17

    Paul Black said:
    Good point!
    That sounds like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" which I maintain is bad idea for maintaining PC's

    That said, when you have a not-ready for primetime OS update such as 2004, I can see the ration behind that mentality
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #18

    Caledon Ken said:
    I believe Tracey is going to transfer the install from one device to other. I think old device is booting legacy.

    So I suggested setting MB BIOS to boot same.

    If I recall old machine has been through several OS's and if older could be legacy.
    Ken, I didn't read the whole conversation, I was just posting in general. Obviously other things need to be taken into consideration.

    Sorry
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 27,447
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1
       #19

    No problem.

    Some information is even in another thread.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,959
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #20

    Caledon Ken said:
    I don't really like idea of restoring old system on new gear as it brings over baggage but I can understand husbands desire.
    I agree, specially if they are from different family (Intel x AMD). There is nothing like and I always do a clean install. It can even save a lot of time.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums