Wanting To Reinstall Windows 10 On My Desktop And Make It A Media PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 104
    Windows 10
       #1

    Wanting To Reinstall Windows 10 On My Desktop And Make It A Media PC


    Here is the plan I want to remove everything from my current desktop PC including the current windows 10 and then reinstall the windows with the best latest version of updates. I do not plan to place apps or programs on the desktop other then a media player like VLC and then I also plan to put a VLC media player skin on it as well hopefully. I also plan to make a few changes to the PC while it has internet.

    I do not want it to get updated until new good updates that are actually needed are out. Otherwise I plan to keep it off the internet and only used to plan DVDs and media from USB flash drives mostly. I will put a wallpaper and screen saver and such but otherwise nothing much will really be stored on the desktop.

    I do want to keep it as fast as possible so anything that is not needed that comes with the original download of the windows 10 when I reinstall the windows will be removed.

    So here is what I want to know?

    (1) When I reinstall windows what are some of the programs that comes with it that I can delete?
    (2) What is the best way to upgrade the PC do I just reinstall windows and then let the windows fully install and then check for updates that are currently available? Or is there a way to get only the current best updates even if there a bit older? Plus should I check the manufactures website to find out what is all inside my desktop and check each thing for updates?
    (3) What is the best way to reinstall windows 10 on my desktop so that I can keep it running smoothly without needing to keep updating from the internet since there wont be a internet connection to the desktop?
    (4) IS there a way to stop annoying interruptions from occurring while on the desktop? Such as on the right hands side of the screen sometimes when a video starts playing there is a notification saying that a video has started playing even though I know it started because I started it myself. I want to stop all these kinds of notifications and popups and such. I just want to watch stuff without being annoyed by interruptions.

    I hope this can make sense to some of you because I just want the desktop for media since it is not all that new anymore and I don't want to take it apart to upgrade things on it or take it to the shop to have things done to it. Its not worth it in my book its also 10 years old or so and I want to use it until I can't anymore.

    So I hope this makes sense.

    Thank You for reading this post and responding. Plus if there are any tutorials you can point me to that would be great thank you.

    Plus if there is a way to install just the windows without the programs like word and icons like netflix and amazon and such that would be great if that is even possible. I don't know much about how the windows comes other then the windows that comes with apps and programs already installed.

    Thank you again for reading this.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #2

    I'd guess you'd want to do a clean install to the version prior to the one released last month (2004). Not sure where that can be found, but I'm sure it's findable.

    You could walk down the list of installed applications and features in Settings/Apps. That may not have any noticeable impact on performance, but you may feel better for having done it. I'm not sure which of them might be relevant for a so-called "media PC".

    "Best updates" is a matter of opinion. If everything is running well, you'd presumably want none of them.

    If you eventually connect to the Internet, Windows Update is going to rear its head. You'd have to go to semi-heroic measures to defeat it entirely if you are going to use an Internet connection at all. More power to you if you don't need the Internet.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,369
    Windows 11 Pro
       #3

    Have you thought about moving to Linux?

    7 Awesome Linux Media Center Distros for Your HTPC
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 104
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    ignatzatsonic said:
    I'd guess you'd want to do a clean install to the version prior to the one released last month (2004). Not sure where that can be found, but I'm sure it's findable.

    You could walk down the list of installed applications and features in Settings/Apps. That may not have any noticeable impact on performance, but you may feel better for having done it. I'm not sure which of them might be relevant for a so-called "media PC".

    "Best updates" is a matter of opinion. If everything is running well, you'd presumably want none of them.

    If you eventually connect to the Internet, Windows Update is going to rear its head. You'd have to go to semi-heroic measures to defeat it entirely if you are going to use an Internet connection at all. More power to you if you don't need the Internet.
    I have no need for the internet on my desktop since I will just be using is for the built in DVD player and the USB ports to play media content from my flash drives. I will also be connecting desktop and laptop to the same monitor through a HDMI splitter so that way I don't even need internet on the desktop I only need it on the laptop. The monitor will be to watch movies and such from the desktop and the laptop will be for internet use. But if I do plan to stream a video all I need to do is switch the monitor from desktop to laptop with the adapter its a (4) device to (1) display and I then can watch the streaming video on the 22" monitor rather then the smaller laptop screen. I do have a 32" TV but its just a bit to bulky for on my smaller desk and in the smaller bedroom where I sit with my laptop. So I wanted to connect the desktop to the monitor so I can still watch my movies and such. plus the desktop has extra fans inside it compared to the laptop so I don't want to push the laptop to hard by watching movies and stuff on it. So I figure it would just be easier to use the desktop to watch videos and stuff like that rather then using the laptop for harder stuff. So there is no need for internet or many other programs. I hope this makes sense.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I just want a clean install of windows 10 and then make the desktop run as smooth as possible for watching movies and such onto. I do play to use VLC media player though I have been using it for years. I will be changing the icons for programs though like the Orange Cone but other then that the desktop will be mostly clean. As I have said I don't plan to do much with it other then playing DVDs and digital content from flash drives.

    So should I get a flash drive with a clean version of windows on it or just do it straight from the desktop and go from there without the updates. Just wondering if this is possible.

    Because once I install the windows I don't ever plan to put it on the internet even once there's no point since I have a laptop. And if I don't have to update the windows on the desktop is there away to install the whole thing from a flash drive without getting any warnings about not having everything I need or without getting warnings telling me I need to connect to the internet to finish installing.

    If this is possible please let me know thank you.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 16,162
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #5

    Hello @Dawn121988,

    ignatzatsonic said:
    I'd guess you'd want to do a clean install to the version prior to the one released last month (2004). Not sure where that can be found, but I'm sure it's findable.
    As suggested by @ignatzatsonic, here is a list of Win 10 ISO download locations and tools . . .

    [1] Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool - HeiDoc.
    [2] Windows Download - #1 Windows ISO Download Source.
    [3] TechBench by WZT [v4.1.1].
    [4] UUP Dump.
    [5] Download Universal Windows Downloader - MajorGeeks.
    [6] Download Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool - MajorGeeks.

    Be careful if using options [5] and [6] as people have had problems with downloads from MajorGeeks!

    I hope this helps!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #6

    Dawn121988 said:

    So should I get a flash drive with a clean version of windows on it or just do it straight from the desktop and go from there without the updates. Just wondering if this is possible.

    Because once I install the windows I don't ever plan to put it on the internet even once there's no point since I have a laptop. And if I don't have to update the windows on the desktop is there away to install the whole thing from a flash drive without getting any warnings about not having everything I need or without getting warnings telling me I need to connect to the internet to finish installing.

    If this is possible please let me know thank you.
    I'd do a clean install using a flash drive, while disconnected from the Internet.

    I'd assume sooner or later you'd have to connect to the Internet briefly to activate the new installation.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 16,162
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #7

    ignatzatsonic said:
    I'd do a clean install using a flash drive, while disconnected from the Internet.

    I'd assume sooner or later you'd have to connect to the Internet briefly to activate the new installation.
    I agree, it is a far safer method!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 104
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    I will be doing a clean install in the next hour or so once I get it onto a flash drive and then I will connect to the internet briefly to activate it and then I will go from there. I will post back if I have any questions. Thank You!
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 16,162
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #9

    Hello @Dawn121988,

    Dawn121988 said:
    I will be doing a clean install in the next hour or so once I get it onto a flash drive and then I will connect to the internet briefly to activate it and then I will go from there. I will post back if I have any questions. Thank You!
    I usually do the FULL clean install WITHOUT being connected to the Internet!
    Once it has completed, I usually only then connect to the Internet!

    Clean Install Windows 10

    I hope this helps!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 104
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    I was going to do the clean install but then I got into finding some flash drives and I started checking them and I found old shows and movies I have not seen in ages and then I started moving movies onto 1 flash drive anime on to another and then TV shows onto another and then I will make as many empty flash drives as I can and then do a clean install of windows 10 on my desktop I plan on doing this tomorrow. So I plan to get onto that soon.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums