upgrading to Windows 10 soon! advice? thoughts?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,467
    Windows 10 Pro
       #11

    Melchior said:
    I already bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key from cdkeysales .com mainly becuase I could not afford a retail key from
    Amazon or M$ directly... what with the cost of the parts I ordered off of Amazon .com

    Buy best Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM CD KEY GLOBAL from cdkeysales.com

    seems semi-legit.. not sure, but the key looks real... won't know till I activate it...
    "Seems legit" ? .... No, not at that price. Case example number 379 : "Too good to be true"! It might activate (simply because the algorithm for combination of characters in the key matches/suits requirements), but later down the track when Windows checks and finds out it's a re-(re-)(re-)(re-)sold key ....

    I'd be using my Win 7 from scratch.


    I already downloaded that Win10 install media creation tool for the May update...
    all ready used it on a 32 GB USB drive...
    No limits on the number of times you can (re)create the installation tool, nor any limits on the number of times the one creation can be (re)used. It's the license key that's the determining factor.

    Re-enforcing @Ghot above

    - no internet connection until the installation is fully complete (you'll be asked twice to connect - Microsoft thinks you lied the first time!!)
    - no key during installation. Key in and activation (maybe, hopefully) after full installation.

    Also avoid all the MS offers of bells and whistles (even if you've got an X-Box and a Microsoft phone and a Microsoft Surface and a Microsoft this and a Microsoft that). Just say no to all the add-ons during the initial installation. Makes for a smooth job. You can then add the extras when you know it's working.


    EDIT : LOL!!! How many names can the one business have?? I can't count the number of times I've done a Whois check on a domain name that's selling cheap software keys, and it always leads me to 14455 N. Haydn Rd Scottsdale AZ., just like cdkeysales.com just did !
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 561
    Windows 11 Pro (x64)(v21H2)(Build 22000.778)
    Thread Starter
       #12

    I hope the product key is not a problem... I couldn't afford a full Windows 10 key from Amazon.com because
    my motherboard was $100 plus more expensive then originally because I had to buy from a 3rd party seller and not from Amazon because they ran out of that motherboard...

    if the key doesn't work it will have to wait till I can afford a new one...
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4,594
    Windows 10 Pro
       #13
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 561
    Windows 11 Pro (x64)(v21H2)(Build 22000.778)
    Thread Starter
       #14

    ok thx almost $50 cheaper.. I can do that.. one I have more $ lol
    I will bookmark it for later...
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,467
    Windows 10 Pro
       #15

    Melchior said:
    I hope the product key is not a problem... I couldn't afford a full Windows 10 key from Amazon.com because
    my motherboard was $100 plus more expensive then originally because I had to buy from a 3rd party seller and not from Amazon because they ran out of that motherboard...

    if the key doesn't work it will have to wait till I can afford a new one...
    Been mentioned above already, you do NOT need to buy another key. Use your old Win 7 key.


    The Windows 10 download from Microsoft is effectively a free upgrade from your Win 7 installation.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 561
    Windows 11 Pro (x64)(v21H2)(Build 22000.778)
    Thread Starter
       #16

    idgat said:
    Been mentioned above already, you do NOT need to buy another key. Use your old Win 7 key.


    The Windows 10 download from Microsoft is effectively a free upgrade from your Win 7 installation.
    but I'm not upgrading my Win7 install.. I am doing a fresh install on Win10 on a new motherboard and CPU
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,467
    Windows 10 Pro
       #17

    Melchior said:
    but I'm not upgrading my Win7 install.. I am doing a fresh install on Win10 on a new motherboard and CPU
    Doesn't matter. It's an upgrade of the license, and doesn't have to be an upgrade of an actual installed system.

    Even a fresh install is still an upgrade of the Win 7 license. The Win 7 key is valid (legally) whether an in situ upgrade or a clean install.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 561
    Windows 11 Pro (x64)(v21H2)(Build 22000.778)
    Thread Starter
       #18

    idgat said:
    Doesn't matter. It's an upgrade of the license, and doesn't have to be an upgrade of an actual installed system.

    Even a fresh install is still an upgrade of the Win 7 license. The Win 7 key is valid (legally) whether an in situ upgrade or a clean install.
    ok, I can give it a shot if my new Win 10 key doesn't work...
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,193
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #19

    Melchior said:
    so my CPU, RAM, and NVMe have come in....
    but the motherboard is in limbo in California some where...
    they claim they have sent it via UPS and its shipped but the UPS tracker says only the label has been created..
    I'm worried...
    "the label has been created" means that it has been boxed up with a UPS label placed on it by the store you bought it from. The tracking won't change until UPS actually picks it up. When that happens the tracking will change to "In Transit"

    - - - Updated - - -

    Melchior said:
    I already bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key from cdkeysales .com mainly becuase I could not afford a retail key from
    Amazon or M$ directly... what with the cost of the parts I ordered off of Amazon .com
    Buy best Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM CD KEY GLOBAL from cdkeysales.com
    seems semi-legit.. not sure, but the key looks real... won't know till I activate it...
    I bought Microsoft Office 2019 from a similar online site. What they are selling is Enterprise versions of software. Officially Microsoft does not approve of such sales since they are not regular retail versions. Forums like this know it and frown on people talking about it. For that reason this post may be deleted.

    Here is the difference...
    Retail versions of Windows 10: Bought at retail and online stores with one key per purchased copy.
    Enterprise versions of Windows 10: Bought at official Microsoft distributors by small and large companies. One purchase gets one key but this one key can be used multiple times. The number of times depends upon the number of activations purchased. This can be 10 or a 1000 depending upon the needs of the company. Also, the company can buy additional activations at a later date to be used with the original key.

    The online sellers of these keys must have a source of these keys which still have unused activations. For example someone bought a key with 1000 activations but only used 100 of them. The 900 left could be sold off one at a time with each one being activated with the same key.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 561
    Windows 11 Pro (x64)(v21H2)(Build 22000.778)
    Thread Starter
       #20

    MisterEd said:
    "the label has been created" means that it has been boxed up with a UPS label placed on it by the store you bought it from. The tracking won't change until UPS actually picks it up. When that happens the tracking will change to "In Transit"
    I know that already...
    what I am saying is that the seller claims its already in UPS hands... in a container with other items being shipped from that seller...
    and it has not budged an inch since they shipped it Friday and I bought it Friday...

    I am worried its gotten lost...
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums