Windows 10: Converting 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 10 Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    13 Aug 2015 #11

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    What does that last paragraph have to do with the OP's question? I didn't see any mention of moving the Install to new hardware?

    You have to upgrade from an activated qualifying OS to Windows 10 and activate Windows 10, before you can do a clean install on the same hardware. If you don't, a clean install of Windows 10 on that hardware won't activate.
    That's what I thought ... I'll do the same ..
    Thanks for the heads up ..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 31
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       13 Aug 2015 #12

    From all the messages it appears that one cannot upgrade from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 10 for free. Thank you everyone.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,192
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       13 Aug 2015 #13

    junglee said: View Post
    From all the messages it appears that one cannot upgrade from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 10 for free. Thank you everyone.
    Not directly for free, if you don't have a copy that could be legally installed you would have to buy Win7 64-bit or Win8.1 64-bit and install then you can get Win10 for free until July 28, 2016. Downside is that one can't convert from 32-bit to 64-bit or other way around, has to be a clean install, wipe the HDD losing everything so back up all you created or that exists nowhere else first. Or wait until retailers have Win10 available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Aug 2015 #14

    junglee said: View Post
    From all the messages it appears that one cannot upgrade from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 10 for free. Thank you everyone.
    Please be aware that if you've already upgraded to Windows 10 and it's showing that "Windows is activated", you should have no problem with installing and activating 64-bit Windows 10 on the same machine. Due to architecture limitations, you must do a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit to get a working 64-bit OS on your system...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       13 Aug 2015 #15

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    What does that last paragraph have to do with the OP's question? I didn't see any mention of moving the Install to new hardware?

    You have to upgrade from an activated qualifying OS to Windows 10 and activate Windows 10, before you can do a clean install on the same hardware. If you don't, a clean install of Windows 10 on that hardware won't activate.
    No one said anything about moving anything! Go back and reread what I was pointing out. That was that some people around here are under the impression that once 10 is activated on one machine you can take the same installation media to another machine and see 10 activated there which won't happen. I even put that to the test to simply confirm the obvious fact.

    And the clean install on the second remote 7 Pro mini tower did activate! That is right after upgrading over the 7 Pro install where that was found activated upon first look in the Settings I immediately rebooted into the day older clean install and found that activated. From there I can opt to revert the upgrade back to 7 or simply nuke the second primary extend the first back where it was originally and see a full clean install of 10 replace 7 entirely.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REMOTE PC WITH DUAL 10 UPGRADE-CLEAN INSTALL BOOT.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	31171

    figment said: View Post
    Please be aware that if you've already upgraded to Windows 10 and it's showing that "Windows is activated", you should have no problem with installing and activating 64-bit Windows 10 on the same machine. Due to architecture limitations, you must do a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit to get a working 64-bit OS on your system...
    The smart move is to opt to save the 64bit 10 download to a folder in ISO form and then go back a second time to see the flash drive or dvd option used to create the media. Or you can opt to use a 3rd party program like the free trial version of UltraISO for example to make up the media with that. Here I downloaded both editions in both flavors first seeing to the 64bit as well as the combo for Pro. Later I went after the two for the Home edition for a few 8 laptops I may have to upgrade sooner or later.

    The one thing to note about going back more then once however is the message you can run into saying you have to restart the system. When going to run the tool now hopefully on another non 10 machine first right click on the MC tool and select the "run as admin" option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 31
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       13 Aug 2015 #16

    I must say that my simple question was not so simple. I have already upgraded to 32-bit Windows 10 for free and the product is genuine and activated. Are you telling me that I can change it to 64-bit Windows 10 for free?

    figment said: View Post
    Please be aware that if you've already upgraded to Windows 10 and it's showing that "Windows is activated", you should have no problem with installing and activating 64-bit Windows 10 on the same machine. Due to architecture limitations, you must do a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit to get a working 64-bit OS on your system...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       13 Aug 2015 #17

    junglee said: View Post
    I must say that my simple question was not so simple. I have already upgraded to 32-bit Windows 10 for free and the product is genuine and activated. Are you telling me that I can change it to 64-bit Windows 10 for free?
    When buying the upgrade or retail media for previous editions you would find both the 32bit and 64bit upgrade or full install dvds included in the package. Likewise you can download the 64bit iso and opt to create the installation media or let it download to a folder of choice for installation at a later time if opting to use a 3rd party to make up the media. From there a simple reformat will see the 64bit go on clean and activate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Aug 2015 #18

    junglee said: View Post
    I must say that my simple question was not so simple. I have already upgraded to 32-bit Windows 10 for free and the product is genuine and activated. Are you telling me that I can change it to 64-bit Windows 10 for free?
    You can now clean install Windows 10 64bit for free. Just "skip" or "do this later" when it asks for a product key. It will activate after it is installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 31
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       13 Aug 2015 #19

    Thank you for your straightforward answer.

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You can now clean install Windows 10 64bit for free. Just "skip" or "do this later" when it asks for a product key. It will activate after it is installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 31
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       13 Aug 2015 #20

    I am not buying anything. I have already done that when I purchased 32-bit Windows 7 Professional for INR9000/- (US$150/-). Now it is upgraded to Windows 10 Professional for free. I want to convert this to 64-bit Windows 10 Professional for free.

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    When buying the upgrade or retail media for previous editions you would find both the 32bit and 64bit upgrade or full install dvds included in the package. Likewise you can download the 64bit iso and opt to create the installation media or let it download to a folder of choice for installation at a later time if opting to use a 3rd party to make up the media. From there a simple reformat will see the 64bit go on clean and activate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi Using only the Microsoft utilities, how do I convert the install.wim to install.esd file? Thanks Bye
Just converted my systems to Windows 10. Working well, so far. I would like to install 4TB disks on a couple of the systems and understand that I need to use UEFI. Looks like my ASUS P8Z68-U GEN 3 MB supports UEFI, but I don't understand how to...
Converting license keys for RTM installs? in Installation and Upgrade
Does anyone know how Microsoft handles the whole issue of license keys yet? Does it actually take your old 7/8 key and replaces it with a Windows 10 key? I already installed RTM on every machine in the house to avoid the release day rush, but...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36.
Find Us