Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 203
    Windows 10
       #1

    Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?


    Just as the title says.
    (It's a 'preview' license)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 162
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
       #2

    Have you first upgraded from a legitimate Windows 7 / 8 license? If so, you can. If not, you need to do that first before Microsoft's servers will recognize your PC as being authorized for Windows 10.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3,865
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #3

    If it is preview 10240 and it has been activated on that PC..
    You can Clean Install and when asked for Key - just choose Skip
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,865
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #4

    Delicieuxz said:
    Have you first upgraded from a legitimate Windows 7 / 8 license? If so, you can. If not, you need to do that first before Microsoft's servers will recognize your PC as being authorized for Windows 10.
    If you had an activated preview release 10240 - Your PC has already seen an activated Windows 10 Pro version
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,361
    Windows 11 Pro
       #5

    Kyhi said:
    If you had an activated preview release 10240 - Your PC has already seen an activated Windows 10 Pro version
    However, the preview key resulted in a license that expired in Jan 2016. Not sure if that was a hard date or a date that was a certain length of time from the date of install.

    Running slmgr /xpr in an elevated command prompt will tell you the license expiration date - or permanently activated.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,865
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #6

    Attachment 30589

    Yes, my info is correct, if you have an activated Preview Release 10240. MS gave you the Activation of Windows 10.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,361
    Windows 11 Pro
       #7

    Kyhi said:
    Attachment 30589

    Yes, my info is correct, if you have an activated Preview Release 10240. MS gave you the Activation of Windows 10.
    I think so too, but it does no harm to verify with slmgr /xpr
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 203
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    I run Windows10 since February, and only did updates so far, but in that time I installed and uninstalled a lot of software, as my SSD is small and can't have them all, so I feel like I want to do a clean install. Now my question is how will I keep my activated license ?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 703
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #9

    Marron said:
    I run Windows10 since February, and only did updates so far, but in that time I installed and uninstalled a lot of software, as my SSD is small and can't have them all, so I feel like I want to do a clean install. Now my question is how will I keep my activated license ?
    Open command prompt (admin) and use the "slmgr /xpr" as stated by NavyLCDR post below

    NavyLCDR said:
    I think so too, but it does no harm to verify with slmgr /xpr
    If your the Windows script shows the dialog saying your machine is permanently activated then you are good to go. It'll be similar to script shown by Kyhi below:

    [QUOTE=Kyhi;335070]Attachment 30589QUOTE]

    To do the clean install, just follow the instructions in the TenForums tutorial How to Clean Install Windows 10
    . Make sure you do exactly the same way as in the tutorial.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 203
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    [QUOTE=WhyMe;335263]Open command prompt (admin) and use the "slmgr /xpr" as stated by NavyLCDR post below

    If your the Windows script shows the dialog saying your machine is permanently activated then you are good to go. It'll be similar to script shown by Kyhi below:

    Kyhi said:
    Attachment 30589QUOTE]

    To do the clean install, just follow the instructions in the TenForums tutorial How to Clean Install Windows 10
    . Make sure you do exactly the same way as in the tutorial.
    Yeah, it says that my machine is permanently activated, but I still have another question. Is it safe to delete all volumes during installation (so that I have a clean drive) ?
    Or to clean the hard-drive with diskpart ?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums