Windows 10 Installation issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Windows 10 Installation issues


    Hi, I built my first PC in about 15 years and I am having some issues installing windows and booting from my M.2 NVMe drive.

    I updated my bios to the latest edition.

    I set my CSM to disabled, and OS type to Windows UEFI mode.

    I downloaded the windows iso file and used Rufus to make a bootable usb drive.

    When I got to the disk selection page I entered into cmd and formatted my NVMe drive as gpt.

    I get a windows installed successfully notification and restart. upon restart I enter into the UEFI and assign boot priority to my NVMe drive but the drive doesn't show.

    If I change the CSM back to enabled and select Legacy only I can see the NVMe drive, but when I try to boot from there it only goes back to the UEFI.

    Anyone have suggestions on what to try next?

    Thank you

    Edit: I am running a Ryzen R7 2700X CPU, Asus Prime x370-pro mobo, RX590 XFX Fat boy 8gb GPU, and 16gb of 3200mHz Gammix D10 memory.
      My Computer

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,025
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #2

    Kranny36 said:
    When I got to the disk selection page I entered into cmd and formatted my NVMe drive as gpt.
    Do you mean running the command Convert GPT via DiskPart on Command Prompt?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Matthew Wai said:
    Do you mean running the command Convert GPT via DiskPart on Command Prompt?
    That is correct
      My Computer

  4. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,025
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #4

    Kranny36 said:
    If I change the CSM back to enabled and select Legacy only I can see the NVMe drive
    I suspect the NVMe drive is MBR rather than GPT. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to check whether it is MBR or GPT. Post a screenshot here like the one below:

    Windows 10 Installation issues-gpt-disk.jpg
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Matthew Wai said:
    I suspect the NVMe drive is MBR rather than GPT. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to check whether it is MBR or GPT. Post a screenshot here like the one below:

    Windows 10 Installation issues-gpt-disk.jpg
    I can't boot windows on that computer so I won't be able to use that tool. I can take a picture of the command prompt showing that is it GPT. Does that help
      My Computer

  6. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,025
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #6

    Okay.
      My Computer

  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,025
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #7

    Kranny36 said:
    I get a windows installed successfully notification and restart. upon restart I enter into the UEFI and assign boot priority to my NVMe drive but the drive doesn't show.
    Does the boot menu show "Windows Boot Manager" as the one below? ST3500418AS is my GPT disk.

      My Computer


  8. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Matthew Wai said:
    Does the boot menu show "Windows Boot Manager" as the one below? ST3500418AS is my GPT disk.
    Here is the picture of the commant prompt. When CSM is disabled the only item I see is "UEFI: Sandisk partition 1" which is my bootable usb drive
    Last edited by Kranny36; 27 Mar 2020 at 13:27.
      My Computer

  9. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,025
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #9

    Kranny36 said:
    Here is the picture of the commant prompt. When CSM is disabled the only item I see is "UEFI: Sandisk partition 1" which is my bootable usb drive
    Where is the picture of the Command Prompt? You didn't have to quote my picture. You have to post your picture.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Matthew Wai said:
    Where is the picture of the Command Prompt? You don't have to quote my picture. You have to post your picture.
    Windows 10 Installation issues-img_5455.jpg
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:30.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums