Windows 10 does not want to install from DVD

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 24
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thread Starter
       #41

    bobkn said:
    Sorry. That may already have been covered.

    The m4a88t-m/usb3 is a 10 year old motherboard, and I believe that it is not a UEFI one.

    I suppose that means that the USB flash drive doesn't need to be FAT32. It'll have to be prepared as a bootable drive which you'll get if you follow the tutorial here. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 (Try not to be intimidated. There's a lot of detail in the tutorial, perhaps of more interest to experts than most users.)
    If I can't figure it out, I can always ask here what I have a problem with.

    Wow the motherboard 10 years old, okay now I really need a new PC and most cases one gets stuck because it doesn't process it.
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,074
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #42

    bobkn said:
    Sorry. That may already have been covered.

    The m4a88t-m/usb3 is a 10 year old motherboard, and I believe that it is not a UEFI one.

    I suppose that means that the USB flash drive doesn't need to be FAT32. It'll have to be prepared as a bootable drive which you'll get if you folow the tutorials here.
    UEFI or Legacy, thumb must be Fat32 to boot. It may contain NTFS partition(s) as well, but the Boot Files must be in a Fat32 partition.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 24
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thread Starter
       #43

    @bobkn & @sygnus21and the rest of course, thank you kindly for all your information and the time you have taken to help me with this.
      My Computer

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,074
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #44

    john01 said:
    @bobkn & @sygnus21and the rest of course, thank you kindly for all your information and the time you have taken to help me with this.
    Hint.... edit and save your post again, no changes, just edit and save, and bobkn @ mention will show correctly.
      My Computers

  5. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,342
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.906)
       #45

    john01;1858062 [MENTION=4455 said:
    bobkn[/MENTION] & @sygnus21and the rest of course, thank you kindly for all your information and the time you have taken to help me with this.
    Thanks. And to clarify my flash drive formatting statement - YES!!! the drive needs to be FAT32. My point is all the flash drives I've bought were already formatted to FAT32 of of the box. But yes!!!... the USB flash drive must be FAT32.

    Sorry for any confusion my post may have caused

    @bobkn, or @f14tomcat,

    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Media Creation Tool format the USB flash drive upon creation ?

    Thanks.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 24
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thread Starter
       #46

    sygnus21 said:
    Thanks. And to clarify my flash drive formatting statement - YES!!! the drive needs to be FAT32. My point is all the flash drives I've bought were already formatted to FAT32 of of the box. But yes!!!... the USB flash drive must be FAT32.

    Sorry for any confusion my post may have caused

    @bobkn, or @f14tomcat,

    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Media Creation Tool format the USB flash drive upon creation ?

    Thanks.
    fortunately we make mistakes, and mistakes are learned.

    I make so many mistakes, so I never learn.
      My Computer

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,074
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #47

    sygnus21 said:
    Thanks. And to clarify my flash drive formatting statement - YES!!! the drive needs to be FAT32. My point is all the flash drives I've bought were already formatted to FAT32 of of the box. But yes!!!... the USB flash drive must be FAT32.

    Sorry for any confusion my post may have caused

    @bobkn, or @f14tomcat,

    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Media Creation Tool format the USB flash drive upon creation ?

    Thanks.
    To the best of my recollection, yes. I believe there also is a message "Warning, all data will be, etc. etc. etc."
      My Computers

  8. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,342
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.906)
       #48

    f14tomcat said:
    To the best of my recollection, yes. I believe there also is a message "Warning, all data will be, etc. etc. etc."
    Yeah, you do get a message that all data will be erased is why I asked. Point is if users are using the Media Creation Tool no need to worry about formatting the drive as it's already done during the USB flash drive media creation.

    Also why I said I never had to format a drive using MCT.

    Thanks.
      My Computers

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,074
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #49

    sygnus21 said:
    Yeah, you do get a message that all data will be erased is why I asked. Point is if users are using the Media Creation Tool no need to worry about formatting the drive as it's already done during the USB flash drive media creation.

    Also why I said I never had to format a drive using MCT.

    Thanks.
    I'm testing that now. Just for kicks, I formatted a spare 16GB NTFS, and fed it to Media Creation Tool. It found it, but has not gotten to the write phase yet. Curious what it will do................
      My Computers

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,074
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #50

    f14tomcat said:
    I'm testing that now. Just for kicks, I formatted a spare 16GB NTFS, and fed it to Media Creation Tool. It found it, but has not gotten to the write phase yet. Curious what it will do................
    Yes, it did format it FAT32 and gave it's own volume label. I had it NTFS with a gibberish label CVCVCV. Didn't pop the warning about erase because it was empty, but it will.

    Windows 10 does not want to install from DVD-2020-03-09_14h28_11.png

    Just to round it out.... Creates in ESD format (to keep the 4GB limit). Creates 18362.592, but if you let it check for updates during Install or Upgrade, it will take it to 18363.693 (Current 3/09/20). Only update after will be the .Net updates.

    Code:
    R:\sources>dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:R:\sources\install.esd /index:6
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1
    
    Details for image : R:\sources\install.esd
    
    Index : 6
    Name : Windows 10 Pro
    Description : Windows 10 Pro
    Size : 14,787,114,583 bytes
    WIM Bootable : No
    Architecture : x64
    Hal : <undefined>
    Version : 10.0.18362
    ServicePack Build : 592
    ServicePack Level : 0
    Edition : Professional
    Installation : Client
    ProductType : WinNT
    ProductSuite : Terminal Server
    System Root : WINDOWS
    Directories : 21756
    Files : 94402
    Created : 1/9/2020 - 5:35:19 PM
    Modified : 3/9/2020 - 2:23:30 PM
    Languages :
            en-US (Default)
    
    The operation completed successfully.
    
    R:\sources>
    Last edited by f14tomcat; 09 Mar 2020 at 14:25.
      My Computers


 
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums