How to move OS from HD to SSD ?


  1. Posts : 316
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    How to move OS from HD to SSD ?


    So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed.

    How do i get just the OS to run from that ssd ? I want to use the hard drive just for software and different files as storage.

    Im getting a new ssd i want to use just for software and games.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 41,647
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    Is the plan to have a typical SSD drive with Windows, applications, and files or are you planning to clean install windows and using a second drive for applications and files?

    To replace a drive you can make a free backup image > replace the drive > restore the image
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 316
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    zbook said:
    Is the plan to have a typical SSD drive with Windows, applications, and files or are you planning to clean install windows and using a second drive for applications and files?

    To replace a drive you can make a free backup image > replace the drive > restore the image
    I've not done this in many many years so after having some physical issues my mental capacity is not as it used to be ( keep your teeth healthy and clean . wont say more ) . So bare with me .
    I'm super rusty on the steps and tools needed to ensure this goes well .


    The main hard drive this pc came with has windows 10 home on it .
    i just want that to be used for all my files as storage, but not have the OS on there.

    I want the OS to be on the 100 gb ssd i have attached with sata inside the case.
    its a samsung evo 850 ssd its old but it appears to still work okay.

    Im getting a new 1 TB ssd that i want to use for games and software ( not important info )



    I don't want to lose the files on the main HD I just want to remove the OS from it .
    the ssd 100 gb only has a game on it ; so no problem with formatting that.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 41,647
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    Dalchina had reported in a thread that he uses Windows on one drive and has Users folders and files on a second drive. @dalchina may be available to comment on his setup.

    First test the drives:

    Run HD Tune (free version) (all drives)
    HD Tune website
    Post images into the thread for results on these tabs:
    a) Health
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan


    Run Sea Tools for Windows
    long generic test
    Post an image of the test result into the thread
    SeaTools for Windows |
    Seagate

    How to use SeaTools for Windows | Seagate Support US


    Make a free backup image:
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

    Open disk management > by default some columns are compressed > widen each Status and Volume > make sure the contents within the parenthesis are in full view and that none of the characters are cutoff > view disk 0 > widen this row as needed so that all of the characters are in full view > post an image into the thread
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of
    Last edited by zbook; 27 Feb 2020 at 00:26.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 316
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    This is stats for my used Samsung 850 evo 100 gb external ssd; i have inside the tower pc connected with sata cable and power.
    This is the drive i want to install windows 10 home onto.

    - - - Updated - - -

    im confused what to do next ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to move OS from HD to SSD ?-health-2.png   How to move OS from HD to SSD ?-stats-1.png   How to move OS from HD to SSD ?-error-report.png  
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 41,647
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #6

    When available please post the progress with the steps in post #4:

    Sea Tools long generic
    Macrium backup image saved to another disk drive or the cloud
    Disk management image with widened columns so that the contents within the parenthesis are not cut off)


    Download and install Minitool Partition Wizard > post an image of the results into this thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 316
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    zbook said:
    When available please post the progress with the steps in post #4:

    Sea Tools long generic
    Macrium backup image saved to another disk drive or the cloud
    Disk management image with widened columns so that the contents within the parenthesis are not cut off)


    Download and install Minitool Partition Wizard > post an image of the results into this thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    i dont know why i need this part though ?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 460
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #8

    Iseetrees1982 said:
    So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed.
    How do i get just the OS to run from that ssd ? I want to use the hard drive just for software and different files as storage.
    Im getting a new ssd i want to use just for software and games.
    Install the SSD with the OS on the first SATA port, either 0 or 1, there could be problems with boot/start up if it's on any other port than the first SATA.

    Typically any optical drive(s) would be on the last (highest number) SATA port(s)
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 41,647
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9

    There are multiple types of tests for drives.
    Some are designed to predict drive failure.
    Others are designed to test for drive failure.
    So both types of tests are performed.

    For moving files you can start with backing up files to another drive and making backup images.
    Then you will have the most flexibility in the new configuration.

    Disk management and Mini tool will display the current layout.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 6,543
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #10

    I have Windows and Programs on a 120G SSD and data on the HDD. I also moved C:\users (SSD) to D:\Users (HDD).
    It's a way to have the speed of a SSD with the space of a HDD at low cost.

    The fist question is how much space is used on your current HDD? It's important to know for cloning options.

    Please post a Disk manager image of your HDD and SSD. It will help us to guide you on the best way to move Windows to the SSD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to move OS from HD to SSD ?-my_tree.jpg  
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums