Windows 10 installation New PC build 'Your PC ran into problems...'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5
    windows 10
       #1

    Windows 10 installation New PC build 'Your PC ran into problems...'


    Hello,

    hoping someone can help...I've built a new pc - AMD Ryzen 3600, 32gb corsair Vengeance pro ram, 1tb samsung 970 Evo plus NVme drive, 1tb samsung 860 EVO ssd, Powercolor 5700xt graphics card on a Asus Rog strix b450-i motherboard. Mentioning the above in case it helps.

    I downloaded the windows installation iso and burned it onto a new usb drive. When I boot the system I can get into the bios no problem so it posts fine - no crashes. When I plug in the USB drive (btw I've tried two drives as well and installed the image by burning the iso and also directly using Microsofts media creation tool which creates the image directly onto the usb stick) the windows logo comes up and then a blue screen appears with the message 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. we'll restart for you.' there is a variety of stop codes which appear below this 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED' or 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' and some others.

    I've tried to change bios settings turning off fast boot, swapping boot drive options. Please help! Thanks in advance
      My Computer

  2. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,855
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #2

    Sounds like you`re not booting from the USB stick.

    Use the 1 time boot menu key (usually F8) to bring up the Boot menu (not the Bios) and see if it lists your usb stick as a boot option.

    Watch the screen when you turn the PC on, it will show you which key to push to bring up the boot menu.
      My Computers

  3. Fabler2's Avatar
    Posts : 2,964
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #3

    I would create a memtest bootable USB drive to check the ram modules. That will at least eliminate (or prove) one issue it could be.
      My Computers

  4. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,515
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    Or just try it with only 1 stick of ram installed at a time.
      My Computer

  5. Megahertz's Avatar
    Posts : 2,418
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #5

    Make it simple as possible.
    Try to boot from the USB Installation disk:
    - Only one memory stick
    - Without the 970 Evo plus NVme drive and the 860 EVO ssd.
    - use the integrated Graphics in the AMD Ryzen instead of the 5700xt graphics card

    If it boots fine, add only the 970 Evo plus NVme and try to install Win 10 on it.
    If you succeed, add more RAM then the 860 EVO ssd and the 5700xt graphics card
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    AddRAM said:
    Sounds like you`re not booting from the USB stick.

    Use the 1 time boot menu key (usually F8) to bring up the Boot menu (not the Bios) and see if it lists your usb stick as a boot option.

    Watch the screen when you turn the PC on, it will show you which key to push to bring up the boot menu.
    Thanks I tried this but it was already set to the usb drive...the windows installation keeps on crashing early on with hte blue screen 'Your PC ran into problems and we need to restart it...' message

    - - - Updated - - -

    Fabler2 said:
    I would create a memtest bootable USB drive to check the ram modules. That will at least eliminate (or prove) one issue it could be.
    Thanks. The memtest shows no error. I guess the ram is ok

    - - - Updated - - -

    NavyLCDR said:
    Or just try it with only 1 stick of ram installed at a time.
    Thanks, I've tried them both sticks separately but doesn't make a difference

    - - - Updated - - -

    Megahertz said:
    Make it simple as possible.
    Try to boot from the USB Installation disk:
    - Only one memory stick
    - Without the 970 Evo plus NVme drive and the 860 EVO ssd.
    - use the integrated Graphics in the AMD Ryzen instead of the 5700xt graphics card

    If it boots fine, add only the 970 Evo plus NVme and try to install Win 10 on it.
    If you succeed, add more RAM then the 860 EVO ssd and the 5700xt graphics card
    Thanks so I did what you suggested except there are no integrated graphics on the Ryzen 3600 so had to keep the graphics card connected....no difference, no drives connected, 1 stick of ram still seeing this annoying message
      My Computer

  7. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,855
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #7

    You don`t want it set to boot from the usb drive in the Bios. Do it manually like I explained, or the PC may boot from the stick over and over again. Set your OS drive as the 1st boot device and disable everything else. Then use the 1 time boot menu key to bring up the boot menu to select a different boot device (such as your usb stick in this case)

    But we`ll keep working on your current issue.
      My Computers

  8. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #8

    Probably the USB Flash drive cannot boot probably (or cannot read some system files to continue booting) and hence the message. If you create it with Rufus, select GPT for UEFI boot or MBR drive for Legacy (BIOS) boot. Then press F8 (Asus and some other motherboards) or F2 (laptops) or F11 (Asrock motherboards) or F12 (other motherboards) to see the Boot Device menu. Select your USB drive from the list and continue. Remember that only the USB drive usually means Legacy Boot. If you see UEFI next to that, it means UEFI boot.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    AddRAM said:
    You don`t want it set to boot from the usb drive in the Bios. Do it manually like I explained, or the PC may boot from the stick over and over again. Set your OS drive as the 1st boot device and disable everything else. Then use the 1 time boot menu key to bring up the boot menu to select a different boot device (such as your usb stick in this case)

    But we`ll keep working on your current issue.
    So in the bios the NVME drive is set as the boot drive. When booting click F8 to bring up the boot menu and select I select the USB drive....but same blue screen

    - - - Updated - - -

    spapakons said:
    Probably the USB Flash drive cannot boot probably (or cannot read some system files to continue booting) and hence the message. If you create it with Rufus, select GPT for UEFI boot or MBR drive for Legacy (BIOS) boot. Then press F8 (Asus and some other motherboards) or F2 (laptops) or F11 (Asrock motherboards) or F12 (other motherboards) to see the Boot Device menu. Select your USB drive from the list and continue. Remember that only the USB drive usually means Legacy Boot. If you see UEFI next to that, it means UEFI boot.
    So I've now tried to format the ISO to both MBR and now GPT too.

    With GPT on the boot menu (F8) and I see:-
    • UEFI Sandisk partition 1 (29340mb)
    • UEFI Sandisk partition 2 (29340mb)
    • Sandisk (29340mb)


    I tried all the options. the first two lead to the same crash and the last one says leads to blank screen with text saying this drive can only boot from UEFI mode. it can not boot in BIOS /legacy mode.

    With MBR on the boot menu (F8) and I see:-
    • UEFI Sandisk partition 1 (29340mb)
    • Sandisk (29340mb)


    First option and second option both lead to same blue screen. The first screen is higher resolution but thats the only difference
      My Computer

  10. SoFine409's Avatar
    Posts : 1,287
    Win10 Pro
       #10

    If the USB drive is 3 try a 2.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums