Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification


  1. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification


    So, I have been using the insider preview of 10 Enterprise for a while now. Later I learned I can't keep using it after the final release so I decided to downgrade to pro. I installed pro from an ISO and skipped the part that asked for a key after trying several times to use a windows 7 pro key and it didn't work. Once I installed I enabled preview builds and restarted. Now if I check the activation it says windows is not activated. Is this normal? If it isn't normal how to I activate? I never really paid attention when I used the enterprise edition.

    Thanks for the help!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #2

    1 I assume that you did an upgrade to WIn10 first
    2 You really shouldn't have entered any key when you did the clean install.
    3 The issue could be due to you using Enterprise and trying to install Pro. There could be a mix up.,

    Suggestion, Reinstall 7Pro, activate and use the ISO to upgrade.. that should work.

    HTH
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    BunnyJ said:
    1 I assume that you did an upgrade to WIn10 first
    Suggestion, Reinstall 7Pro, activate and use the ISO to upgrade.. that should work.

    HTH
    No, I actually just did a clean install of the "Technical Preview" not long after it started. I was under the impression that if you use the preview builds you were not required to have a key from any other windows release. Is this wrong? I would hate to wipe and reinstall but I will if I have to.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    dotson83 said:
    No, I actually just did a clean install of the "Technical Preview" not long after it started. I was under the impression that if you use the preview builds you were not required to have a key from any other windows release. Is this wrong? I would hate to wipe and reinstall but I will if I have to.
    1. Were you using Enterprise and tried to install Pro over that with a clean install using the ISO? If so I suspect there is an issue with a cross between the products. Not totally sure since I have just used pro the entire time.

    You can check the forums and there are suggested ways to activate but right at this moment I can't find them. The last option you have is to reinstall 7 and do the upgrade with the ISO.. yes it's a pain but it's likely the best route if all else fails. Make sure 7 is activated first before you upgrade.

    Then after the upgrade you can do a clean install of 10 Pro.

    HTH
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    One last question. I'm building another computer this weekend and planned on putting windows 10 on it and using the preview builds so I don't have to have a key (I don't want to buy one since it wont be used much). If I do a clean install of windows 10 and then enable the preview builds will I need a key?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #7

    dotson83 said:
    One last question. I'm building another computer this weekend and planned on putting windows 10 on it and using the preview builds so I don't have to have a key (I don't want to buy one since it wont be used much). If I do a clean install of windows 10 and then enable the preview builds will I need a key?

    I would think not but the preview activation servers are down for now.. and I don't know when they will be up again. I would just give it a try and see what occurs.

    HTH
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4,457
    Win 11 Pro 22000.708
       #8

    Activation of the preview builds was suspended in the weeks before 29 July. I don't know whether they have resumed.

    You may as well go with 10240. You may be able to set it as part of the Insider program, which would keep it activated past October.

    As far as I know, there are 4 ways to legitimately run 10 for an unlimited time: Insider, upgrade over an activated qualifying OS, retail, and OEM. (The last may not be authorized, but the EULA is not enforced.)
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    bobkn said:
    Activation of the preview builds was suspended in the weeks before 29 July. I don't know whether they have resumed.

    You may as well go with 10240. You may be able to set it as part of the Insider program, which would keep it activated past October.

    As far as I know, there are 4 ways to legitimately run 10 for an unlimited time: Insider, upgrade over an activated qualifying OS, retail, and OEM. (The last may not be authorized, but the EULA is not enforced.)
    Thank you! So it sounds like I should be good to go as long as preview builds are in use or I upgrade from Windows 7 or 8. Good to know!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums