Laptop w/32 GB Drive - Not Room to Update

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 26,929
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #41

    Wynona said:
    Actually, I've already done that and there's so little on the machine that it freed up less than 1 GB. So, that's not an option.
    It would be great, if we could see the picture of Treesize scan on files.. You could eliminate hiberfil.sys, possible rstore points and winxs folder. But we should see what is on that drive.

    Restore points should be deleted in both Advanced settings in Control panel, and with disk cleanup. i found that sometimes doing only with one, some files are left behind. I've just tested, and 7 GB of files were deleted (and I have System protection diabled)..

    Disk cleanup tool Laptop w/32 GB Drive - Not Room to Update-image.png

    System protection in Control panel
    Laptop w/32 GB Drive - Not Room to Update-image.png
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
    Thread Starter
       #42

    Sneaky little thing is now getting Windows ready! It snuck around while I weren't looking and used the SD card I put in it! At least I think that must be what happened.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
    Thread Starter
       #43

    AndreTen said:
    It would be great, if we could see the picture of Treesize scan on files.. You could eliminate hiberfil.sys, possible rstore points and winxs folder. But we should see what is on that drive.

    Restore points should be deleted in both Advanced settings in Control panel, and with disk cleanup. i found that sometimes doing only with one, some files are left behind. I've just tested, and 7 GB of files were deleted (and I have System protection diabled)..

    Disk cleanup tool Laptop w/32 GB Drive - Not Room to Update-image.png

    System protection in Control panel
    Laptop w/32 GB Drive - Not Room to Update-image.png
    Thanks, Andre! I did teach 'em to create a restore point, so there's probably at least one there.

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's working on updates now!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 26,929
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #44

    Wynona said:
    Sneaky little thing is now getting Windows ready! It snuck around while I weren't looking and used the SD card I put in it! At least I think that must be what happened.
    Sound good. Holding my breath...
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 13,929
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #45

    Eyes, finger, toes crossed.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 104
    Several
       #46

    Wynona, I hope you get it done.

    But if the fellow senior citizen needs a 32GB SD card to get it done (and for the future), I'll buy her one. PM me and I'll have one shipped.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
    Thread Starter
       #47

    AndreTen said:
    Sound good. Holding my breath...
    False alarm! You can breathe now.

    Ztruker said:
    Eyes, finger, toes crossed.
    I was too, but it didn't finish the install; went back to where it started.

    GEWB said:
    Wynona, I hope you get it done.

    But if the fellow senior citizen needs a 32GB SD card to get it done (and for the future), I'll buy her one. PM me and I'll have one shipped.
    Thanks, but I found a 64 GB one on Amazon for $12.98 or so. Cheap enough that she can afford it.

    I freed up some more space and it may finish the cumulative update.

    I'm going to call her tomorrow and see if she wants to just do a clean install. As I said before, she only had Office 365 on the machine and I just took that off, along with Chrome.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,858
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #48

    A big shot in the dark here , wondering why Windows didn't use the SD card? Could it be that it's exFAT and not NTFS? Doubt if it is the issue but you never know.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 39,953
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #49

    Not enough room to update can be related to the C: or reserved partition.

    For the failure to upgrade please post the error code and error message.

    Open disk management > by default some columns are compressed > widen each Status and Volume > make sure the contents within the parenthesis are in full view and that none of the characters are cutoff > view disk 0 > widen this row as needed so that all of the characters are in full view > post an image into the thread
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

    Run setupdiag:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...rade/setupdiag

    Post results into the thread using share links (one drive, drop box, or google drive)


    If there is insufficient space in the system reserved partition this can be confirmed by viewing logs.
    Then this can be fixed by temporarily removing files that are recreated following a successful upgrade.

    If there is insufficient space on the C: partition then there are multiple posts in the thread.
    One additional option is to borrow an external HD or flash drive > copy and paste the users folders (this can be done easily on a small drive) to the external drive > perform clean install > copy and paste users folders back to the internal drive
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 137
    Win 10
       #50

    A bit late in joing this thread but just me 2p worth for interest.

    First point....I have a Win 10 tablet with only 32Gbytes as the C drive and an additional 64Gbyte SD card designated as D. During the update to 1903 a message popped up with words to the affect that there was not enough space on C so could it use either space on my D drive or put in an usb hard drive/memstick and use that. I chose to use D and the update went through with all the temp stuff on D being removed.

    Second point.....my desktop has proved difficult to update from 1803 to 1903 with every attempt with various methods failing. However, I tracked the problem down to the recovery partition on the C drive being too small. Making it a couple of hundred Mbytes larger allowed the update to go through.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums