Prepare For Clean Install of WIN10 OEM DVD on Dual-Boot Win10 & Linux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. rvnmedic68's Avatar
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10 / Linux Mint 18.1 (Dual Boot)
       #1

    Prepare For Clean Install of WIN10 OEM DVD on Dual-Boot Win10 & Linux


    I want to wipe my HDD and clean-install Win10 (1809) as sole OS. Currently have Win10 and Linux Mint 18.3 as dual boot.

    The Win10 partition has been corrupted so I won't be doing a restore or upgrade, just a new installation.

    I did try Shawn Brink's tutorial on doing a clean install but ran into problems when choosing the partition to put it into. Even though I deleted the previous Win10 partition contents and now shows as unallocated, every partition stated that it had an MBR in it and I couldn't install.

    I had to use the Linux "Gparted" command as the old Win10 is non-functional and inaccessible.

    Prepare For Clean Install of WIN10 OEM DVD on Dual-Boot Win10 & Linux-gparted-27-aug-19.png

    QUESTION: does the new Win10 DVD include a MBR as part of the installation process? I'm thinking back to when I built a PC from scratch and installed a HDD and then installed Win17 without any difficulties.

    Suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,887
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    Does your MBO support MBR only, or both MBR and UEFI, or only UEFI?
    If it only supports MBR, then that's what you have to use. But if UEFI, that would be preferable.
    So the first step would be to define which sort of installation you can create, and which you want - MBR/legacy BIOS or the newer UEFI/GPT disk format.

    For interest: GPT vs MBR - and the advantages of GPT:
    What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

    I'm unsure what you mean about a Win 10 DVD. Is this one you've created from an iso you've downloaded? Do you have one or are you just recalling Win 7 days?

    Now, if you want to download build 1809 (rather than 1903, the latest) you could use e.g. Heido iso downloader (search for it). And you could create a bootable flash drive.

    If you choose to use build 1903, it's much easier - Microsoft Media Creation tool (just search for it). You can create a bootable flash drive using that on another PC (same 'bitness' and base language).

    Note that you do have the option of formatting the disk as part of the installation procedure.

    ran into problems when choosing the partition to put it into.
    - as you have noted, all existing OS-related partitions must be deleted, and the OS installed to unallocated space. (You can choose to retain data partitions you have created yourself).
      My Computers

  3. rvnmedic68's Avatar
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10 / Linux Mint 18.1 (Dual Boot)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Does your MBO support MBR only, or both MBR and UEFI, or only UEFI?
    If it only supports MBR, then that's what you have to use. But if UEFI, that would be preferable.
    So the first step would be to define which sort of installation you can create, and which you want - MBR/legacy BIOS or the newer UEFI/GPT disk format.

    Can't determine if the MBO supports UEFI, looked through the original purchase info from 2011 and don't see any references for it. Not sure if I can use a Linux command to see if it does. I read your GPT link and yeah, I'd much prefer UEFI/GPT disk format.

    For interest: GPT vs MBR - and the advantages of GPT:
    What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

    I'm unsure what you mean about a Win 10 DVD. Is this one you've created from an iso you've downloaded? Do you have one or are you just recalling Win 7 days?

    Clarification: I bought a new, OEM Windows 10 DVD with product key in sealed envelope. It shows "1809" for the build. I did this rather than doing the download, ISO, and other things plus also wanted a DVD source media if I have to use it again. When I tried to install it, it looked exactly like Shawn Brink's installation guide. As mentioned, I got stopped at the "choose unallocated partition" and then the MBR roadblocks.

    Now, if you want to download build 1809 (rather than 1903, the latest) you could use e.g. Heido iso downloader (search for it). And you could create a bootable flash drive.

    Build 1809 is on the DVD, I've read a lot about upgrading from 1809 to 1903 but like to avoid jumping onto the bleeding edge too soon.

    If you choose to use build 1903, it's much easier - Microsoft Media Creation tool (just search for it). You can create a bootable flash drive using that on another PC (same 'bitness' and base language).

    I think I can upgrade to 1903 without the MCT as Win10 includes the upgrade tool?

    Note that you do have the option of formatting the disk as part of the installation procedure.

    Will the installation routine from the DVD include permission to delete the entire drive through the formatting choice?
    - as you have noted, all existing OS-related partitions must be deleted, and the OS installed to unallocated space. (You can choose to retain data partitions you have created yourself).
    Hopefully I was able to "intelligently" (LOL) explain what I have so far and my end point objective. Please point out any other critical things based on the above notations.

    Cheers, and have a good evening.
    Bob

    Edited to add MOBO info (found the Linux command for it):

    bobbypee@bobbypee-FX6850 ~ $ dmidecode -t baseboard
    # dmidecode 3.0
    /sys/firmware/dmi/tables/smbios_entry_point: Permission denied
    Scanning /dev/mem for entry point.
    /dev/mem: Permission denied
    bobbypee@bobbypee-FX6850 ~ $ sudo dmidecode -t baseboard
    [sudo] password for bobbypee:
    # dmidecode 3.0
    Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
    SMBIOS 2.6 present.

    Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
    Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: Gateway
    Product Name: FX6850
    Version:
    Serial Number:
    Asset Tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Features:
    Board is a hosting board
    Board is replaceable
    Location In Chassis: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Chassis Handle: 0x0003
    Type: Motherboard
    Contained Object Handles: 0

    Handle 0x0024, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
    On Board Device Information
    Type: Video
    Status: Enabled
    Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics

    Handle 0x0025, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
    On Board Device Information
    Type: Ethernet
    Status: Enabled
    Description: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

    Handle 0x0026, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
    On Board Device Information
    Type: Sound
    Status: Enabled
    Description: Realtek High Definition Audio

    Handle 0x0027, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
    On Board Device Information
    Type: SATA Controller
    Status: Enabled
    Description: Intel(R) 6 Series SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop)

    Handle 0x0036, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
    Onboard Device
    Reference Designation: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Type: Video
    Status: Enabled
    Type Instance: 1
    Bus Address: f000:00:02.0

    Handle 0x0037, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
    Onboard Device
    Reference Designation: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
    Type: Ethernet
    Status: Enabled
    Type Instance: 1
    Bus Address: f000:00:19.0

    Handle 0x0038, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
    Onboard Device
    Reference Designation: Realtek High Definition Audio
    Type: Sound
    Status: Enabled
    Type Instance: 1
    Bus Address: f000:00:1b.0

    Handle 0x0039, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
    Onboard Device
    Reference Designation: Intel(R) 6 Series SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop)
    Type: SATA Controller
    Status: Enabled
    Type Instance: 1
    Bus Address: f000:00:1f.2

    Doesn't look too helpful...
      My Computer

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,887
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #4

    I think your fundamental problem may be that you are confusing unallocated space in an existing partition with unallocated space not allocated to a partition or used by one.

    A clean installation is to completely unallocated empty space on the disk. Not to an existing partition.

    You should delete any existing partitions related to Windows installations. If you don't want any of the remain partitions- delete them. Your screenshot and comment indicate you haven't. That is an option around step 13 of the tutorial (screenshot).

    Unless your new license gives you a higher edition of Windows than you would have had by upgrading (using your exisiting license) or it wsa retail (transferable) rather than OEM there was no point in buying it.

    I am also concerned that you say it's a OEM license.

    Further, downloading an iso and burning it to a DVD gives you a bootable Win 10 install DVD.
    (Or you can create a bootable flash drive).

    As you know, builds move on. Naturally the questioin arises whether your 2011 or so hardware will fully support Win 10 - many people do this, effectively operating way out of spec. with no certainty of success- but for most, it works. Some have subtle issues with older hardware.
      My Computers

  5. rvnmedic68's Avatar
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10 / Linux Mint 18.1 (Dual Boot)
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    I think your fundamental problem may be that you are confusing unallocated space in an existing partition with unallocated space not allocated to a partition or used by one.

    A clean installation is to completely unallocated empty space on the disk. Not to an existing partition.

    You should delete any existing partitions related to Windows installations. If you don't want any of the remain partitions- delete them. Your screenshot and comment indicate you haven't. That is an option around step 13 of the tutorial (screenshot).

    Unless your new license gives you a higher edition of Windows than you would have had by upgrading (using your exisiting license) or it wsa retail (transferable) rather than OEM there was no point in buying it.

    I am also concerned that you say it's a OEM license.

    Further, downloading an iso and burning it to a DVD gives you a bootable Win 10 install DVD.
    (Or you can create a bootable flash drive).

    As you know, builds move on. Naturally the questioin arises whether your 2011 or so hardware will fully support Win 10 - many people do this, effectively operating way out of spec. with no certainty of success- but for most, it works. Some have subtle issues with older hardware.
    I can't use an existing license to upgrade as the Win10 on my PC is totally trashed and inaccessible. As I've been saying, I want to do a new, clean install using this DVD:

    Prepare For Clean Install of WIN10 OEM DVD on Dual-Boot Win10 & Linux-win10-dvd.jpg

    Re my hardware, I was running Win10 without any issues until an upgrade trashed it two years ago, so I'm reasonably confident that it will run fine on the PC.
      My Computer

  6. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,887
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #6

    Thank you for your reply.

    I hope I have addressed the issue of why your attempt to install failed- you make no mention of what is really the most important point.

    Turning to the issue of reusing your existing license: you don't have to have a working Win 7 or whatever installation. See:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

    Turning to the issue of upgrading builds of Win 10: a few have found that whilst, say, build 1709 works without problems, upgrading to build 1803, say, is either not possible (significant problem), or needs special measures. A cautionary note therefore.
      My Computers

  7. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,801
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Boot from the DVD. When you get to the first screen, press shift+F10 to open a command prompt. Then:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0 <- 0 should be the internal drive you want to install to.
    clean <- this will erase the disk selected above!
    convert mbr
    Exit
    Exit

    Then continue with your install.
      My Computer

  8. rvnmedic68's Avatar
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10 / Linux Mint 18.1 (Dual Boot)
    Thread Starter
       #8

    dalchina said:
    Thank you for your reply.

    I hope I have addressed the issue of why your attempt to install failed- you make no mention of what is really the most important point.

    Turning to the issue of reusing your existing license: you don't have to have a working Win 7 or whatever installation. See:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

    Turning to the issue of upgrading builds of Win 10: a few have found that whilst, say, build 1709 works without problems, upgrading to build 1803, say, is either not possible (significant problem), or needs special measures. A cautionary note therefore.
    Thanks for your assistance. BTW, I did mention that I followed the tutorial you listed above. Cheers

    - - - Updated - - -

    NavyLCDR said:
    Boot from the DVD. When you get to the first screen, press shift+F10 to open a command prompt. Then:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0 <- 0 should be the internal drive you want to install to.
    clean <- this will erase the disk selected above!
    convert mbr
    Exit
    Exit

    Then continue with your install.
    Thanks, LCDR. Will try it tomorrow. Have had enough "fun" with Linux and Windows today! Cheers, Bob CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 38,724
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9

    This tutorial has text and images to check the settings:
    Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10


    Open the BIOS to see whether there are options for:
    UEFI native
    UEFI hybrid with CSM
    Legacy
      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,887
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #10

    Even though I deleted the previous Win10 partition contents and now shows as unallocated, every partition stated that it had an MBR in it and I couldn't install.
    This, + the screenshot showing partitions, tells me you were trying to select and install to an empty partition.

    I'm not convinced your disk was empty. I.e. no partitions.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums