Windows 10 oem vs retail

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. teots's Avatar
    Posts : 165
    Windows 10 64 Bit Pro N 1803
       #1

    Windows 10 oem vs retail


    What is the difference between oem and retail version of windows 10. Is ti true that oem version can only install once and retail version can install as many times as needed ?
      My Computer

  2. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 4,316
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1909 Build 18363.778
       #2

    An OEM licence is tied to the first computer it is installed on & the OEM [not MS] is responsible for providing software support.

    A Retail licence allows the software to be installed on whichever system you choose [but only on one installation on one computer at a time]. MS provides some limited software support for which the terms are set out in the purchase documentation.

    Both can be installed as many times as necessary but the OEM can only be installed on the same computer each time.
    Both are limited to one installation at a time.

    You can read the terms in C:\Windows\System32\en-GB\Licenses\OEM\Core\license.rtf {change the en-GB bit to match your own language} and at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/useterms

    Denis
      My Computer

  3. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 16,610
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #3

    Try3 said:
    An OEM licence is tied to the first computer it is installed on & the OEM [not MS] is responsible for providing software support.

    A Retail licence allows the software to be installed on whichever system you choose [but only on one installation on one computer at a time]. MS provides some limited software support for which the terms are set out in the purchase documentation.

    Both can be installed as many times as necessary but the OEM can only be installed on the same computer each time.
    Both are limited to one installation at a time.

    You can read the terms in C:\Windows\System32\en-GB\Licenses\OEM\Core\license.rtf {change the en-GB bit to match your own language} and at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/useterms

    Denis
    Unless local laws say opposite, in most of EU countries laws prohibit MS from enforcing that. There's nothing that MS (or any other company) can do to override local country's laws.
      My Computers

  4. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 4,316
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1909 Build 18363.778
       #4

    CountMike said:
    Unless local laws say opposite, in most of EU countries laws prohibit MS from enforcing that. There's nothing that MS (or any other company) can do to override local country's laws.
    Tell that to the MS activation servers.

    Denis
      My Computer

  5. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 16,610
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #5

    Try3 said:
    Tell that to the MS activation servers.

    Denis
    Don't have to, there's consumer rights agency, they fix.
      My Computers

  6. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,497
    Windows 10 IoT
       #6

    Both can be installed over and over again on that same device with no activation issues.
    OEM is meant to be tied to a specific device, the first one its activated on.
    Retail can be transfered from device to device, but only ever activated on one device at any one time.
    It's a bit more complicated than that but thats the short answer.
    And as far as I know, the install media created via the Media Creation Tool will acept Retail and OEM product codes.
      My Computer


  7. transmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Windows 10 2018 Home (UK edition)
       #7

    I am going to Windows 10 pro. This is going to be a clean install on a new SDD. In the future there may be upgrades in boot drives does this matter if OEM, or retail. My biggest worry is ordering an OEM copy an getting a bootleg copy.
      My Computer

  8. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,185
    Windows 10 Pro
       #8

    transmaster said:
    I am going to Windows 10 pro. This is going to be a clean install on a new SDD. In the future there may be upgrades in boot drives does this matter if OEM, or retail. My biggest worry is ordering an OEM copy an getting a bootleg copy.
    Just curious why you are worried about getting a bootleg copy? It violates Microsoft's license agreement to use OEM System Builder's Windows 10 for personal use on a computer that you are going to keep anyway:
    https://devicepartner.microsoft.com/...r-personal-use

    So it doesn't really matter if it is bootlegged or not.
      My Computer

  9. transmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Windows 10 2018 Home (UK edition)
       #9

    You miss the point. The OEM copies I am looking at are for sale on Amazon. In the reviews people report getting OEM copies that do not register with MS as legal copies. It is a worry I am going to get a bogus copy. In order to avoid this I will probably pay for a full retail copy direct from MS.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,084
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #10

    transmaster said:
    You miss the point. The OEM copies I am looking at are for sale on Amazon. In the reviews people report getting OEM copies that do not register with MS as legal copies. It is a worry I am going to get a bogus copy. In order to avoid this I will probably pay for a full retail copy direct from MS.
    the OEM versions of Win10 you're looking for are not only sold on Amazon, transmaster.
    look on eBay - some are sold there dirt cheap
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums