Is it normal to have problems installing Win10 on SSD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Is it normal to have problems installing Win10 on SSD?


    tl;dr: Installing fresh Win10 on SSD using Win10 USB gives errors, BIOS says corrupted, have to use macrium/acronis to clone HDD to SSD otherwise cannot boot

    I have a Windows 10 USB and have installed it successfully on 3 different computers (Spinning hard drives), but when I added SSDs on those three computers, every time I would try installing Windows 10 on the SSDs, it always gave me boot errors.

    I had to resort to cloning my HDD onto my SSD, only then was the SSD able to boot. Now I have a third computer with the exact same problem.
    Am I doing something wrong? (EDIT: all my SSDs are Sata connected)

    Specs of first three computers:

    • i5-8700, RX580, 500GB WD SSD, 3x 2TB HDDs
    • i5-3570k, GTX460, 120GB HyperX
    • X4-965 Black, AMD7850, 120GB Crucial


    Specs of this last comp I'm having problems with:
    i3-6300, 120GB Kingston SSDNow, 500GB HDD
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ver. 1809
       #2

    zijincheng said: View Post
    I have a Windows 10 USB and have installed it successfully on 3 different computers (Spinning hard drives), but when I added SSDs on those three computers, every time I would try installing Windows 10 on the SSDs, it always gave me boot errors.

    I had to resort to cloning my HDD onto my SSD, only then was the SSD able to boot. Now I have a third computer with the exact same problem.Am I doing something wrong?

    Specs of first three computers:

    • i5-8700, RX580, 500GB WD SSD, 3x 2TB HDDs
    • i5-3570k, GTX460, 120GB HyperX
    • X4-965 Black, AMD7850, 120GB Crucial


    Specs of this last comp I'm having problems with:
    i3-6300, 120GB Kingston SSDNow, 500GB HDD
    No, it's not normal with problems when switching to SSD. I just made a backup of my hard drive with Macrium Reflect (Free) and did a recover to the new SSD with MR. I also helped my friends to do the same switch without any problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    snickie said: View Post
    No, it's not normal with problems when switching to SSD. I just made a backup of my hard drive with Macrium Reflect (Free) and did a recover to the new SSD with MR. I also helped my friends to do the same switch without any problems.
    What do you mean? Macrium works perfectly for me. I just cannot successfully install fresh Win10 on SSD using the Win10 USB
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 373
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1809
       #4

    Confused so bear with me :
    Are the Hdds mbr or Gpt?
    Is Uefi (secure boot) enabled in Bios? Is Sata set to correct mode in the Bios?
    When using the media creation tool did you use it to delete all partitions on the ssd and create a gpt one?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    If I may make a suggestion:

    As a test, try swapping the SATA cable between the HD and SSD (assuming they are both connected at the same time). Try the install to SSD again. If that works, it's possible that the BIOS / UEFI is not correctly configured to boot from the correct device.

    I know that this may sound odd given that it boots when cloning the HD, but there is a logic behind my suggestion .

    As an alternative, and an even better test, if you could disconnect all other HDs / SSDs from the system (just temporarily) and then install Windows, see if it boots up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    If I may make a suggestion:

    As a test, try swapping the SATA cable between the HD and SSD (assuming they are both connected at the same time). Try the install to SSD again. If that works, it's possible that the BIOS / UEFI is not correctly configured to boot from the correct device.

    I know that this may sound odd given that it boots when cloning the HD, but there is a logic behind my suggestion .

    As an alternative, and an even better test, if you could disconnect all other HDs / SSDs from the system (just temporarily) and then install Windows, see if it boots up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ver. 1809
       #7

    zijincheng said: View Post
    What do you mean? Macrium works perfectly for me. I just cannot successfully install fresh Win10 on SSD using the Win10 USB
    Sorry. I was to fast on the keyboard so I misunderstood your problem :-(
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    How did you setup the usb stick ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    #9

    thomaseg1 said: View Post
    Confused so bear with me :
    Are the Hdds mbr or Gpt?
    Is Uefi (secure boot) enabled in Bios? Is Sata set to correct mode in the Bios?
    When using the media creation tool did you use it to delete all partitions on the ssd and create a gpt one?
    HDD: MBR
    SSD: GPT

    Tried installing onto SSD in legacy mode, UEFI secure & UEFI unsecure, still doesn't work.
    Also yes, when using media creation tools, I always delete all partitions and create a GPT.
    hsehestedt said: View Post
    If I may make a suggestion:

    As a test, try swapping the SATA cable between the HD and SSD (assuming they are both connected at the same time). Try the install to SSD again. If that works, it's possible that the BIOS / UEFI is not correctly configured to boot from the correct device.

    I know that this may sound odd given that it boots when cloning the HD, but there is a logic behind my suggestion .

    As an alternative, and an even better test, if you could disconnect all other HDs / SSDs from the system (just temporarily) and then install Windows, see if it boots up.
    I've tried swapping the SATA cables, but I have not tried disconnecting all others, will do that later tonight.

    hsehestedt said: View Post
    If I may make a suggestion:

    As a test, try swapping the SATA cable between the HD and SSD (assuming they are both connected at the same time). Try the install to SSD again. If that works, it's possible that the BIOS / UEFI is not correctly configured to boot from the correct device.

    I know that this may sound odd given that it boots when cloning the HD, but there is a logic behind my suggestion .

    As an alternative, and an even better test, if you could disconnect all other HDs / SSDs from the system (just temporarily) and then install Windows, see if it boots up.
    Oh by the way now I remember sometimes cloning the HDD to the SSD doesn't work either on the computer in question. I've had to clone the SSD from another computer and stick it in this one and then reset windows to get a clean install. But yes, will disconnect all others.

    AddRAM said: View Post
    How did you setup the usb stick ?
    I think I used rufus, windows media creation tool never worked for me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    When you bring up the 1 time boot menu, do you see 2 listing for the same usb stick ? One UEFI and one not ?

    Because I see your HD`s are MBR but your SSD`s are GPT.

    What format do you want the SSD`s to be ? EFI or MBR ?

    Is the SSD the only drive connected when you try to do the install ?

    Have you tried any other usb sticks with the Media Creation Tool ?

    Example of my Lexar 16GB stick showing both options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boot Menu.JPG  
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
My wife's Win10 laptop went from working well to being a train wreck, over the past month or so. It's her computer, and I'm not micromanaging the usage, so I'm a bit sketchy on the details. Several weeks ago I noticed a "something didn't go...
I built my new system three weeks ago on 5/5/2017. All relevant files uploaded and the system profile has been specified in my forum account. Computer ran, without a single issue, for 2.5 weeks. Often left on for 24-48 hours at a time. First...
When my PC goes into sleep mode, I noticed that my pc (using Windows10) wakes up by itself intermittently and goes to my login screen or window that shows my time/date/weather. This only happens when I'm connected to the internet. Could it be...
Heya Was looking for solution for my problem everywhere but couldn't find a solution for my problem. So i hope someone here could help me. So let me describe what is the problem. Touchpad on my laptop is acting up. It is working, it is...
Hi Sorry about the long description, but want to make sure I havenít missed any detail along the process and to inform people which alternatives have been tried. I have been experiencing a lot of problems with the win10 installation. After a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06.
Find Us