Media Creation Tool error code 0x80042405-0xA001A has appeared again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 839
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Media Creation Tool problem


    I just wanted to inform other forum members that the error code 0x80042405-0xA001A has appeared again when using the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable media (USB flash drive). The "encountered an unexpected problem message" along with the error code appears at 50% after the download has finished and the Media is being created. It aborts there leaving you with a RAW flash drive.
    I first encountered this exact same issue a couple of years ago and posted on the forum. I was using McAfee security at the time so I though Id try removing it and using Windows Defender instead. That sorted the problem out. No more errors. I also always ensure that my flash drives are MBR format. Ive continued to use the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable flash drive without any problems at all ever since. Im still using Windows Defender and nothing else.
    Yesterday for no apparent reason the error has returned. Its put me right off using the Media Creation Tool again. I had two attempts meaning I had to download twice (over 5 hours) and both times the error code 0x80042405-0xA001A appeared at 50% when creating the media.
    Im not a fan of Rufus so Im going to use Diskpart instead of the Media Creation Tool once Ive ensured I know how to use it correctly.
    I cant believe Microsoft hasn't sorted this problem out. The Media Creation Tool is so important to so many people..me included. I just wanted to let you guys on here know that the problem hasn't gone away
    Last edited by sportsfan148; 15 May 2019 at 13:03.
      My Computer

  2. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 20,344
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909
       #2

    Hi.

    Can I ask what make of USB key you are using.

    I recently used a Lexar USB device no issues.

    Wasn't there something about some USB's appearing as Fixed devices rather than removable? I recall something just not the details.
      My Computer

  3. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 839
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Caledon Ken said:
    Hi.

    Can I ask what make of USB key you are using.

    I recently used a Lexar USB device no issues.

    Wasn't there something about some USB's appearing as Fixed devices rather than removable? I recall something just not the details.
    Hi Ken. For several years now Ive always used Sandisk USB flash drives so that hasn't changed at all. I have 5 of them in total..the Sandisk Ultra 3.0. Like I mentioned the Media Creation Tool has worked flawlessly at creating the bootable Windows 10 media since I first had issues with that very same error code a couple of years ago. Removing McAfee and switching to Windows Defender instead sorted the problem out for me then. Im still using just Windows Defender but the error code has just returned this week.
    When I look at the flash drive in Disk Management it is listed there as a Removable device
      My Computer

  4. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 11,347
    Windows10
       #4

    sportsfan148 said:
    Hi Ken. For several years now Ive always used Sandisk USB flash drives so that hasn't changed at all. I have 5 of them in total..the Sandisk Ultra 3.0. Like I mentioned the Media Creation Tool has worked flawlessly at creating the bootable Windows 10 media since I first had issues with that very same error code a couple of years ago. Removing McAfee and switching to Windows Defender instead sorted the problem out for me then. Im still using just Windows Defender but the error code has just returned this week.
    When I look at the flash drive in Disk Management it is listed there as a Removable device
    Have you simply tried wiping all partitions on flash drive, creating new one and formatting it as full format rather than quick?
      My Computer

  5. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 20,344
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909
       #5

    Try a different make. SanDisk was one that identified as fixed. Yes saw that disk management sees as removable, not sure if MCT interrogates the same. I have a bag of USB's, 1607, 1700's, 1800's and I've made some of them more than one time. Just don't get that that failure.
      My Computer

  6. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 839
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    cereberus said:
    Have you simply tried wiping all partitions on flash drive, creating new one and formatting it as full format rather than quick?
    Yeah....I always use Diskpart to clean the flash drive first and do a precautionary convert mbr too. Then I perform a full format instead of quick format using disk management
      My Computer


  7. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 839
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Caledon Ken said:
    Try a different make. SanDisk was one that identified as fixed. Yes saw that disk management sees as removable, not sure if MCT interrogates the same. I have a bag of USB's, 1607, 1700's, 1800's and I've made some of them more than one time. Just don't get that that failure.
    If it was the Sandisk Ultra USB drives that are causing the problems. It seems strange to me that they had always worked ok with the Media Creation Tool before I first came across the error a couple of years ago. So I switched to Windows Defender from McAfee and it has again worked flawlessly since until just a couple of days ago. And Ive used the Sandisk flash drives with the Media Creation Tool plenty of times. Why would the error suddenly start appearing again?
      My Computer

  8. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 20,344
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909
       #8

    That I cannot answer.

    There are so many changes in our systems, OS and Applications. Even MS has a hard time making changes with everything being so intertwined. There was some noise that the 1903 upgrade would not go through if you had an external drive connected, where did that error come from?

    I saw your posts on using diskpart and then copying the ISO. Nice solution around your issue.
      My Computer

  9. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 839
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Caledon Ken said:
    That I cannot answer.

    There are so many changes in our systems, OS and Applications. Even MS has a hard time making changes with everything being so intertwined. There was some noise that the 1903 upgrade would not go through if you had an external drive connected, where did that error come from?

    I saw your posts on using diskpart and then copying the ISO. Nice solution around your issue.
    I thought that it might be easier to start using the Diskpart method from now on to manually create the bootable flash drive and copy the ISO over and just forget about using the Media Creation Tool again. A lot of forum members on here seem to suggest that it is the most reliable method anyway. Ive never been much of a fan of Rufus so I'd prefer to leave that method alone. I don't like the way it likes to change the flash drive to GPT format from MBR on my UEFI system
      My Computer

  10. swarfega's Avatar
    Posts : 6,411
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #10

    You could try pre-formatting it as FAT 32, then install MCT on it.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums