Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    04 Aug 2015 #1

    Clean Install/Retail Windows 7 License


    I have a retail version of Win 7.
    I have been using on a separate machine, the Windows Insider Technical Preview.
    It is my understanding that you MUST upgrade before doing a clean install.

    1) Is that true?
    2) Do I get a new license number?
    3) My Windows 7 instillations are brand new..is doing a clean install necessary?
    4) Can I duel boot Windows 7 with 10?
    5) Can I run Win 7 in Virtual Box
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 5,005
    Win10 Pro

    Does you win 7 have SP 1 in it ?

    1) Yes, you must do a upgrade install before you can do a clean install.

    2) No, it will take your win 7 key and tie it to the win10 install and you won't have to use a key again.

    3) No, you don't have to do a clean install.

    4) Yes, you can do a Dual Boot if you want to.

    5) Yes, you can run win 7 in a VM.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    04 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,372
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    ... but you can't run the Windows 7 you used to upgrade to windows 10. As computiac said, it will take your win 7 key and tie it to the win10 install.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    04 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    2) No, it will take your win 7 key and tie it to the win10 install and you won't have to use a key again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    As computiac said, it will take your win 7 key and tie it to the win10 install.

    It absolutely will not tie the Windows 7 key to the Windows 10 activation. I wish people would stop spreading such false information.

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    Does you win 7 have SP 1 in it ?
    SP1 is not required to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,372
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    True, but effectively that is the case. The Windows 7 you use to upgrade to Windows 10 should no longer be used. Win 10 could care less about the key but it is no longer useable to install or use Windows 7 with, unless you remove Win 10. If you do that then you can start using thyat specific copy Windows 7 with that specific key again.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    04 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    it is no longer useable to install or use Windows 7 with, unless you remove Win 10.
    Absolutely false. It can be used to install Windows 7 with again, in addition to Windows 10. People seem to have a very big confusion between what is not legal to do and what is not possible to do. It is not legal to use a Windows 7 key to run a Windows 7 that you upgraded to Windows 10 without uninstalling Windows 10 first - but you can do it and have an activated Windows 7 and an activated Windows 10 (just illegal).

    User has 2 partitions on a hard drive, without Windows 7 installed on one. User upgrades the Windows 7 partition to Windows 10 and it activates. User reinstalls Windows 7 onto the second partition and dual boots. Windows 7 will activate with the old key - both operating systems will stay activated. Verify with slmgr /xpr. But that particular dual boot setup will be illegal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,372
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    I don't know where you got this information from but it's wrong.

    Solved Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows 10 Free upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

    Do Windows Insiders get a free license?

    * This is a simple question, with a complicated answer. The short answer is No. Neither do Windows 7 or 8/8.1 users. They get a free *UPGRADE*, which is not the same thing as a free license. The *UPGRADE* upgrades an existing valid Retail or OEM Windows 7/8/8.1 license to entitle you to use Windows 10. Just like any other single license, you can only install one copy on one machine at in given time. That one copy can be Windows 7/8/8.1 or Windows 10, but not both at the same time, and not both on different computers. (See section on dual booting and virtual machines).
    What your suggesting is illegal so why would you even discuss it here?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    04 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts : 31
    Windows 8.1 pro, Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    It absolutely will not tie the Windows 7 key to the Windows 10 activation. I wish people would stop spreading such false information.
    SP1 is not required to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.

    Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Features vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. copied straight from the fine print on the bottom of http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features
    Last edited by Hellishdream; 04 Aug 2015 at 20:22. Reason: added additional info
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 5,005
    Win10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishdream View Post
    Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Features vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. copied straight from the fine print on the bottom of http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features
    Thanks for this info.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    04 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    Thanks for this info.
    Even though it was wrong?

    YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer - Windows 10 Forums



    Windows 7 without SP1 can be upgraded with the ISO from the Media Creation Tool. Windows 8, without 8.1 can be upgraded with the ISO from the Media Creation Tool. Have a nice day.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows
According to this Microsoft Community thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-transfer-windows-retail-license-after/6ee1dfe0-8adc-4cce-a46a-748963cf56d1?rtAction=1438237655029 when we...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 Clean Install Bug
When I clean install Windows 10, and I have done this multiple times using the most current version, the menu where you turn features on, before you pick your computer username, displays twice. The 1st time you do it, it goes as far right before...
Installation and Upgrade
Retail license W10 upgrade permanent?
So the MS position on upgraded Win 7 / 8 machines is straight-forward: for the life of the device. But what does this mean for non-OEM people, who are using a retail Windows license, which they upgrade to Windows 10? If they get a new PC, and...
General Support
Install on brand new self-built computer, no 7 or 8 license
Hello, Can I install Preview version 10130 on a brand new computer I'm building myself, without any Win7 or 8 or 8.1 disk/license? If yes, will I have any license/activation problem when I replace the Preview with the purchased release Pro...
Installation and Upgrade
Go from OEM 8 to 10 TP to free RTM license without reverting/install?
Currently I dual-boot 8.1 and 10 TP, my computer comes with Windows 8 and therefore is eligable for a free upgrade to 10. I'm happy with the stability of Windows 10 TP, so I'm asking this: Can I upgrade my OEM license Windows 8.1 install to the...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:47.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums