Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    04 Aug 2015 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tamo View Post
    I believe we were all misled a bit by Microsoft when we thought we could use our genuine windows 7/8/8.1 key to do a clean install but it cant be done as far as I can understand .
    Microsoft never made any such claim or even close to it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Aug 2015 #12
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 941
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Microsoft never made any such claim or even close to it.

    Agree!! I was one of those hoping this would be allowed, but to date, there's been no indication from MS that they're going to allow this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Aug 2015 #13
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 101
    windows 10 pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Microsoft never made any such claim or even close to it.
    Well maybe they could have made it clearer that one cant perform a clean installation of windows 10 using the embedded uefi/bios product key . I see post after post all over the place with people trying to do just that and failing .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Aug 2015 #14
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts : 31
    Windows 8.1 pro, Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tamo View Post
    Well maybe they could have made it clearer that one cant perform a clean installation of windows 10 using the embedded uefi/bios product key . I see post after post all over the place with people trying to do just that and failing .
    "You upgraded to Windows 10, but didn't have a previous version or the correct edition of Windows installed (error 0xC004F061)

    If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 10, it means one of the following:

    • You're using a product key to upgrade to Windows 10, but a previous version of Windows wasn't installed on your PC. To update, you need to have Windows 8 or Windows 7 already on your PC.
      If you formatted or replaced your hard drive, you won't be able to use a product key to update to Windows 10. You'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 10."

      I don't think it gets much clearer than that , quoted straight from Why cant I activate Windows 10? - Windows Help

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Aug 2015 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishdream View Post
    I don't think it gets much clearer than that , quoted straight from Why cant I activate Windows 10? - Windows Help
    Unfortunately, people won't read that until it's too late.... but, I'd be willing to bet a dollar against a doughnut that all they would have to do is call Microsoft Activation Help phone number, give them the product ID their computer shows and get the return code to activate it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Aug 2015 #16
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,382
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    I'll take your dollar People have already tried that and been told the have to reinstall their qualifying OS then upgrade and activate, then they can do a clean install.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    04 Aug 2015 #17
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts : 31
    Windows 8.1 pro, Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Unfortunately, people won't read that until it's too late.... but, I'd be willing to bet a dollar against a doughnut that all they would have to do is call Microsoft Activation Help phone number, give them the product ID their computer shows and get the return code to activate it.
    I do agree Ms could have made the clean installation a bit easier. However it is FREE after all , so I would expect some hiccups with attempting to clean install a "free upgrade"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Aug 2015 #18
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 101
    windows 10 pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishdream View Post
    "You upgraded to Windows 10, but didn't have a previous version or the correct edition of Windows installed (error 0xC004F061)

    If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 10, it means one of the following:

    • You're using a product key to upgrade to Windows 10, but a previous version of Windows wasn't installed on your PC. To update, you need to have Windows 8 or Windows 7 already on your PC.
      If you formatted or replaced your hard drive, you won't be able to use a product key to update to Windows 10. You'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 10."

      I don't think it gets much clearer than that , quoted straight from Why cant I activate Windows 10? - Windows Help

    I did find this eventually and did call MS to see if there was a way to use my genuine product key on a clean install but they said to follow the instructions as per the "Why cant I activate Windows 10? - Windows Help" . In the old days as long as you had a genuine product key from a qualifying OS you would have been ok but the rules have changed . Never mind all's well that ends well .
    Last edited by tamo; 04 Aug 2015 at 22:48.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Aug 2015 #19
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,382
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    As NavyLCDR rightly stated, Windows 10 doesn't care about keys. Everythign is based on a hardware has that is generated and stored on a Microsoft server. The use of Keys (so far) is gone with Windows 10 though we don't know yet what happens with a retail version you purchase. There has top be some validation method, I wonder what it is?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    04 Aug 2015 #20
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    though we don't know yet what happens with a retail version you purchase. There has top be some validation method, I wonder what it is?
    When you install a retail version, you would enter the retail key for it when prompted during the install. This would allow Windows 10 to activate itself using a hardware ID not found on the MS Activation Server - and then just like the upgrade, I would be willing to bet the new hardware ID would then be stored and future installs on that same PC would not require a key to be entered.

    Windows 10 first looks on the activation server to see if the unique hardware ID is present for that version of Windows 10 (pro or home). If it is, it activates. If it doesn't find that unique hardware ID on the activation server, it looks for an authorized method of adding it - such as it was a qualified upgrade installed, or a valid license key was manually entered. Then it will store the hardware ID on the activation server for future activations.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 upgrade from 7 - what license key should I use?
Hello, Last night up upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Windows 10 shows activated, but I never received a Windows 10 "key". I saw another topic it was noted that you would use your current key for the OS you upgraded from. If I were...
Windows Updates and Activation
Transferring a Win 10 to a new PC, with a free upgrade license
This may already have been answered, but I haven't seen it answered in a way that I thought captured the significant details. Scenario: I have a PC with a retail copy of Win 8.1 Pro installed and activated. I get the free Win 10 Pro upgrade by...
Installation and Upgrade
Retail license W10 upgrade permanent?
So the MS position on upgraded Win 7 / 8 machines is straight-forward: for the life of the device. But what does this mean for non-OEM people, who are using a retail Windows license, which they upgrade to Windows 10? If they get a new PC, and...
General Support
Solved Free upgrade license type requirements
Hello this is my first post so "Hi!". I've read on Wikipedia that the Windows 10 free upgrade will offered to all users of "consumer editions" of Windows 7 and 8.1. I'm currently at a stage where I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 but do...
General Support
Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?
Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums