Migrate Win10 boot disk to another PC + install Linux on a second disk Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 5,847
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.14.3 Beta (18D21c)
       #11

    davide445 said: View Post
    @NavyLCDR

    @CountMike

    @lx07
    thanks for your answers.
    Current pc is using Sata drives, boot in Legacy mode.
    Last time I changed the disk from hdd to Ssd i used Paragon Drive Copy, but this time I will transfer the whole disk to the new PC since the old will not be used anymore.
    Having a retail windows license this is allowed?
    The license has zero to do with how you want to setup the OS, it is preference.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 18
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #12

    @bro67
    thanks for your answer. If I simply shift the Win10 ssd from old to new pc I suppose apart drivers the license is the only thing I need to care about, or there are other things.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #13

    davide445 said: View Post
    @bro67
    thanks for your answer. If I simply shift the Win10 ssd from old to new pc I suppose apart drivers the license is the only thing I need to care about, or there are other things.
    I was just doing something similar. A friend of mine brought his HDD with W10 on it and it booted on my completely dissimilar computer, took a while to boot up but it did boot and after a while it even installed proper drivers. If you can make sure computer is connected to internet by wired connection.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 5,847
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.14.3 Beta (18D21c)
       #14

    davide445 said: View Post
    @bro67
    thanks for your answer. If I simply shift the Win10 ssd from old to new pc I suppose apart drivers the license is the only thing I need to care about, or there are other things.
    The license only matters when you move a OS install to another computer. You have to deactivate that license on the old computer to activate on the new computer or just buy a new license.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #15

    bro67 said: View Post
    You have to deactivate that license on the old computer to activate on the new computer or just buy a new license.
    Not sure how you can deactivate a digital license in Windows 10. I tried to but it didn't seem to actually do anything. I think this advice is from a previous licensing model.
    davide445 said: View Post
    Last time I changed the disk from hdd to Ssd i used Paragon Drive Copy, but this time I will transfer the whole disk to the new PC since the old will not be used anymore.
    Having a retail windows license this is allowed?
    Yes it is absolutely fine. Some server installations of Windows will invalidate the license by changing disks (as that is how it is licensed) but retail versions never do. Feel free to swap as much as you want - I do it several times a day sometimes switching between VM and native boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 18
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #16

    @lx07
    Will try to do it and hope all is going in the right way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    #17

    davide445 said: View Post
    @lx07
    Will try to do it and hope all is going in the right way.
    You can remove a device (PC, Phone etc) if it's on your MS account or even have one.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 18
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #18

    I considered my doubt solved if I can simply shift the SSD1 with the Win10 installation to the new PC.
    About the Linux installation on the second disk this will follow his guided installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8700 which I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1 Home. The PC did not come with an operating System software disk and I now need to re-install the OS. Is there a preferred way to re-install Windows 10 Professional? Sorry if...
I had Windows 10 Professional on my computer which crashed when I was burning a video a couple of weeks ago. The only way to get up and running again was to go to my original Windows 7 disk that I purchased when I got this computer then upgraded to...
I had WIN 7 on my desktop computer did the upgrade to WIN10 free. Everything was working fine then one day I turned on the computer and received a boot disk error. I went into BIOS and tried booting from there and it worked the first time. A couple...
I need to replace my failed system disk with a new one and wonder how I can go about installing a new win 10 bought and downloaded from Microsoft. I imagine the process would be the same as for a new custom built computer. I miss being able to buy...
So, after about 2 weeks of experiencing Windows 10 I've decided to revert back to Windows 8.1, since I was more experienced at it. So I followed every step to downgrade the system, waited for about a few hours, then I noticed that when Windows...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42.
Find Us