Before installing Windows 10, please read this special post of mine.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,114
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #31

    Thanks Compumind. I have used that Clean install process quite a few times and it works great.
    When I was in the working world, I never got any computer training so I got used to using documentation when possible.
    When it comes to a "nice to know" item I accept that but usually not blindly and that's why I inquire about a "nice to know" item in case there is some documentation/explanation available.
      My Computer

  2. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,186
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Internet Security Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #32

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    When it comes to a "nice to know" item I accept that but usually not blindly and that's why I inquire about a "nice to know" item in case there is some documentation/explanation available.
    I totally agree!

      My Computer

  3. Powerman's Avatar
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Professional
       #33

    Fascinating, Compumind.

    I ran into a similar situation with my laptop during setup not too long ago. The screen started changing and I didn't know why. Took me three setup trials before I thought that I was being voice guided, so I shut my mouth and all went well.

    Bad design, mate!
      My Computer

  4. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,186
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Internet Security Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #34

    Powerman said:
    Fascinating, Compumind.

    I ran into a similar situation with my laptop during setup not too long ago. The screen started changing and I didn't know why. Took me three setup trials before I thought that I was being voice guided, so I shut my mouth and all went well.

    Bad design, mate!
    Well, I see that I'm not the only one, lol!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 137
    Windows 10
       #35

    IAmNoOne said:
    sorry but any one with any sense turns that mic off as soon as that screen comes up, ESPECIALLY if you are being paid to install windows. the VAST majority of us know this.
    Same thing I was thinking...

    I do several clean installs per week on the regular (both desktop & laptops) and IMO the installer pretty much announces that you have the option to turn off the microphone (which I always do) prior to continuing with the setup
      My Computer

  6. hawkman's Avatar
    Posts : 650
    10 preview 64bit
       #36

    Its all rght if its just YOU sat there setting it up.

    However if its you and your client, your gonna talk - bad practise not to.

    Roy
      My Computer


  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,077
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #37

    hawkman said:
    Its all rght if its just YOU sat there setting it up.

    However if its you and your client, your gonna talk - bad practise not to.

    Roy
    Hi there

    I'd set the BASE install up separately (away from the client) and then once the OS was installed then speak / ask about extra software / hardware client wanted.

    Some jobs I'm afraid you just need to concentrate on by yourself -- you don't need distractions while doing complicated stuff -- at least I don't

    and PLEASE everybody on these forums who ever has to use that modern abomination in a lot of workplaces "The Open Plan Office" silence those really annoying mobile phone keyboard tapping noises and pings ever 2 microsecs when they get a message / email / twit, facebook etc. You might not realize it yourself but it's so mega annoying !!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,186
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Internet Security Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #38

    LOL.

    Issue seems to still be alive in 1903, according to an old friend who recently went through the same insanity.

      My Computer

  9. Faith's Avatar
    Posts : 1,148
    Windows 10 Home 1909 64-bit
       #39

    Compumind said:
    LOL.

    Issue seems to still be alive in 1903, according to an old friend who recently went through the same insanity.

    When I did a clean installation of 1903 a couple of days ago I was asked by it if I want to turn on or off voice recognition and diagnostic data for input devices. I usually say 'no' and 'basic' to everything asked by the installer. Where we live we don't have Cortana at all so I guess it's a non-issue for many EU countries. I know EU and GDPR laws are harder and stricter to info-gathering than US.
      My Computer

  10. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,186
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Internet Security Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #40

    Faith said:
    Where we live we don't have Cortana at all so I guess it's a non-issue for many EU countries. I know EU and GDPR laws are harder and stricter to info-gathering than US.
    The EU and GDPR laws are tougher and rightfully so!

    People just need to be aware of this strange issue and how to work around it. Simple as that.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums