Please Ms stop these zillions of questions at install time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,483
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1

    Please Ms stop these zillions of questions at install time


    Hi folks

    I'm getting irritated with the new set up procedures when installing / upgrading Windows (any release after 1803) where Ms asks you about 10 zillion questions -- what colour knickers do you wear, do you kick the cat or dog first after getting out of bed etc etc --

    Just let me install and get on with it ---also what about a "silent mode" -- I hate the wretched Cortana voice thing that you have to turn off once windows has done its basic stuff at install.

    I want a seamless install where all I need to enter is just my user account whether local or Ms - I know this can be done by sysprep but I'm thinking of typical users just installing Windows or upgrading it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  2. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,045
    windows 10
       #2

    1809 doesn't ask anything
      My Computer

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,684
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    Samuria said:
    1809 doesn't ask anything
    A clean install of 1803 or 1809 asks you to accept or decline a whole series of security/telemetry options, such as enabling Cortana or choosing between Basic or Full diagnostic feedback.

    MS got a lot of negative feedback when W10 was launched about how they hid away the privacy options and enabled most of the telemetry by default. Now they go to the opposite extreme, describing what they collect and asking you to accept or decline it during the install.

    This spring, Microsoft will release an update to Windows 10 that will include changes to the setup experience for privacy settings....

    New privacy screen settings layout coming to Windows 10
      My Computers

  4. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,667
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #4

    It is general, but you can customize setup to include tweaks, like DisablePrivacyExperience.
      My Computer

  5. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,075
    Windows 10 IoT
       #5

    IMHO they ask the wrong questions. One option missing that I do want is to set the computer name. Instead of the auto junk name and then having to go change it manually to what I want.
    And don't get me started on the three security questions if you decide to use a local account during setup.
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,684
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    alphanumeric said:
    And don't get me started on the three security questions if you decide to use a local account during setup.
    You can avoid them by initially setting a blank password. No password = no need for security questions You can then set a password after you have signed in for the first time without being forced to set up security questions.
      My Computers

  7. ignatzatsonic's Avatar
    Posts : 2,401
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #7

    Bree said:
    A clean install of 1803 or 1809 asks you to accept or decline a whole series of security/telemetry options, such as enabling Cortana
    If Cortana is NOT enabled, would I still be left with a search box at the lower left that will search my hard drive ONLY?

    That's all I use Cortana for as it is, but I've never clean installed 1803 or later.

    I do notice that the Cortana window presented on 1809 differs from the 1803 window. I just ignore the icons and type in the search term.
      My Computer

  8. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,075
    Windows 10 IoT
       #8

    Bree said:
    You can avoid them by initially setting a blank password. No password = no need for security questions You can then set a password after you have signed in for the first time without being forced to set up security questions.
    Yeah, I know, the irony is, those extra questions designed to improve security, defeat the purpose when the user doesn't set a password in the first place to get around having to answer them.
      My Computer

  9. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,326
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
       #9

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi folks

    I'm getting irritated with the new set up procedures when installing / upgrading Windows (any release after 1803) where Ms asks you about 10 zillion questions -- what colour knickers do you wear, do you kick the cat or dog first after getting out of bed etc etc --

    Just let me install and get on with it ---also what about a "silent mode" -- I hate the wretched Cortana voice thing that you have to turn off once windows has done its basic stuff at install.

    I want a seamless install where all I need to enter is just my user account whether local or Ms - I know this can be done by sysprep but I'm thinking of typical users just installing Windows or upgrading it.

    Cheers
    jimbo

    Hello Jimbo,

    You can click/tap on the microphone icon at the bottom left to mute Cortana during the Windows 10 installation.

    Clean Install Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    Please Ms stop these zillions of questions at install time-cortana_assisted_windows_10_installation-1.jpg
      My Computers

  10. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,075
    Windows 10 IoT
       #10

    And if said device doesn't have a microphone, you get the silent install. I only get the voice recogntion stuff on my laptop.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums