Windows 10: Windows 10 bootable USB Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    02 Aug 2015 #1

    Windows 10 bootable USB


    Hi,

    I've just upgraded.

    I was previously on 8.1 and frequently used System Restore and Backup to generate a recovery image of my windows installation. In the event that I ever needed to restore an image, I used a bootable recovery USB - if memory serves me correctly, I needed to create a new USB when I moved to 8.1 because the one for 8 did not work with a 8.1 image.

    I assume I now need to create a new one for 10, however I cannot find out how you do it.

    Anyone else done this?

    Thanks,

    jra505
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,739
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       02 Aug 2015 #2

    Hello jra505, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    The tutorial below can give a few options for how to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    02 Aug 2015 #3

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello jra505, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    The tutorial below can give a few options for how to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    Thanks very much for the post.

    Unless I've misunderstood, those instructions are for creating a bootable USB from which you can install a fresh installation of Windows 10. All I am after is a bootable USB which allows you to access the recovery options, one of which is to restore a backed up image.

    Thanks,

    jra505
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 5,003
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       02 Aug 2015 #4

    Try this:

    Create a recovery drive

    A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it wonít start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

    • From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When itís done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select Delete. If not, select Finish.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    02 Aug 2015 #5

    Size?


    Ztruker said: View Post
    Try this:

    Create a recovery drive

    A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it wonít start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

    • From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When itís done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select Delete. If not, select Finish.
    What size in GB should the USB drive be?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 20,739
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       02 Aug 2015 #6
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    03 Aug 2015 #7

    When I try that, I get this error:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2015-08-03 18.08.37.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	28143
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 20,739
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       03 Aug 2015 #8

    jra505 said: View Post
    Thanks very much for the post.

    Unless I've misunderstood, those instructions are for creating a bootable USB from which you can install a fresh installation of Windows 10. All I am after is a bootable USB which allows you to access the recovery options, one of which is to restore a backed up image.

    Thanks,

    jra505
    Just a FYI, that an installation USB will also let you boot to the recovery options.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option5
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 5,003
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       03 Aug 2015 #9

    I get the same error when I try to create the Recovery drive too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 20,739
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       03 Aug 2015 #10

    Currently, folks have been getting that error when the Back up system files to the recovery drive check box is ticked.

    Leaving it unchecked should allow it to successfully create a recovery drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
As Microsoft has changed the upgrade method from ESD based upgrade to a UUP based, the method told in this tutorial does not work anymore with 15xxx and later builds. Please see UUP to ISO tutorial for a working method: UUP to ISO - Create...
I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update history all "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entries show as unsuccessfull. So what I did was...
Greetings. My gamer Laptop (ASUS G55VW ROG) is now upgrated from Windows 7 SP1. It went smooth and without errors :) Before fiddle around too much I want to make a bootable USB-key with Windows 10 installaion to make a clean install possible if...
Here's an alternative in addition to Kari's Tutorial: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8SCzhbycA NOTE: It is better to create an ISO contaning install.wim so if you...
Ok so I wanted to be able to make a bootable usb with windows 10 on it but im not sure exactly how to do it, I tried to use the technical Preview iso but WinToUSB says it cannot find the bootable image. Help :confused:
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.
Find Us