1.    02 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    8.1

    Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?


    I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop however I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new 250gb SSD that I've just bought. What would be the best way to do this?

    Would I need to backup all my data, create a Windows 8 bootable USB, install Windows 8 on the SSD, put all my data onto this hard drive and then go through the Windows 10 upgrade process or is there a simpler way?

    Thanks,

    Tom
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 212
    10 (Free upgrade)

    Sounds like you already figured it out.
    There's no 'easy' way to do what you want to do.

    Create a disc image of your HDD as a back up,
    then install 8.1 to the new SSD drive,
    make sure it's 'activated',
    upgrade to Windows 10,
    (Choose the option to keep your programs and settings even though there won't be too much in the way of options and settings to keep!)
    make sure it's 'activated',
    then format and clean install to Windows 10,
    it will activate automatically,
    then reinstall your programs and files.

    Simple, eh?
    Last edited by teachermark; 02 Aug 2015 at 05:59.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 home

    Hi I did an upgrade Windows 7 to free Windows 10, registered and the used a app to show my installed product code for the newly installed Windows 10 .
    Burnt iso Windows 10 to bvb. Installed a fresh w10 on a new drive keeping all my old stuff intact on the old drive, when installing it asked for the product code which I had and it works find so far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    8.1
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the help. So you'd recommend doing a clean install of Windows 10 rather than transferring all the data back onto Windows 8.1 and then doing an upgrade with files and settings?

    Thanks,

    Tom
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 83
    windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ93 View Post
    Thanks for the help. So you'd recommend doing a clean install of Windows 10 rather than transferring all the data back onto Windows 8.1 and then doing an upgrade with files and settings?

    Thanks,

    Tom
    It's VERY important that you upgrade your 8.1 before you ever do a clean install. This is because the upgrade is what will attach your existing license to Windows 10. If you miss this you will not get activated on a clean install.
    I would do the upgrade on your current hard drive then you can do a clean install on the SSD.
    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    8.1
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
    It's VERY important that you upgrade your 8.1 before you ever do a clean install. This is because the upgrade is what will attach your existing license to Windows 10. If you miss this you will not get activated on a clean install.
    I would do the upgrade on your current hard drive then you can do a clean install on the SSD.
    Jim
    So if I upgraded on my existing hard drive, how would I do a clean install on the SSD?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    02 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 212
    10 (Free upgrade)

    Quote Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
    I would do the upgrade on your current hard drive then you can do a clean install on the SSD.
    That's not what I would do.
    (I'm NOT saying that it won't work, but it might not.)
    Every change of hardware (and the HDD / SSD is a significant piece of hardware) will lessen the chances of you being able to have your new Windows authenticated and activated.

    If you have a licensed copy of Windows 8.1 then wait for your new drive, install it on that and follow my instructions above...

    It's best to be sure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    02 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    8.1
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by teachermark View Post
    That's not what I would do.
    (I'm NOT saying that it won't work, but it might not.)
    Every change of hardware (and the HDD / SSD is a significant piece of hardware) will lessen the chances of you being able to have your new Windows authenticated and activated.

    If you have a licensed copy of Windows 8.1 then wait for your new drive, install it on that and follow my instructions above...

    It's best to be sure.
    Okay thanks, I'll be sure to follow your steps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
General Support
Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade
my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade
Installation and Upgrade
W10 Insider Prev upgrade to Win10 full vs of W7/8 upgrade to W10
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Windows Insider
Windows 10 Upgrade
Hi, I currently use Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) and upgraded to Windows 10, and my question is will it be possible to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using my Windows 7 key without installing with the Windows 7 CD? I hope so as it takes ages...
Installation and Upgrade
Will you upgrade to Windows 9
Thought it would be interesting to see how many know whether they will upgrading to the final version of Windows 9 when it's released Then perhaps have a similar post at the end of the year after the beta has been used to see if people have...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums