Windows 10: Restore Windows 10 without passwords Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    01 Jul 2018 #1

    Restore Windows 10 without passwords


    Ok, so my work was bought out by a much bigger company. The new company did not need the computers we had so I was given one of them. This computer was connected to a domain which does not exist any more, it is also locked by an administrator account of which I do not have the password to. I would like to delete everything/ restore the machine so I can make my own account. No data on this computer needs to be saved. From the "factory" it came loaded with windows 7 but since was updated to windows 10...if that matters? I was quoted by a local computer repair place $60/ hr and they said it could take up to 3 hours... so this can be done? Is it possible for me to do this at home instead? Anyone know how to do this?

    Thanks in advance for the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jul 2018 #2

    You could presumably clean install Win 10, but I would struggle to see how it would be licensed. Do you have a spare windows key?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Jul 2018 #3

    A clean install is the only option deleting everything you can skip if it asks for a serial during install. Wether it activates depends what key it had if it a volume licence or if it was activated via a local kms server its possible you would have to buy a serial. The only way to find out is to install
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    01 Jul 2018 #4

    dalchina said: View Post
    You could presumably clean install Win 10, but I would struggle to see how it would be licensed. Do you have a spare windows key?
    I do not have a spare key, I would not mind buying windows 10/ new key to make it work...seems to be cheaper than paying a repair shop to do it. How would I set up the computer to boot from the new version with being locked out of the system?

    I am not sure if I am asking the right questions... I am very new to the computer world, sorry if I do not make any sense.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Jul 2018 #5

    Download Windows 10 ISO File | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clean Install Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    - download the iso file from MS
    - create a bootable USB disk using the iso file.
    - Boot your PC using the USB disk to clean install Windows.
    Note: following the instructions you will remove everything from the disk in the PC on which you are installing Windows.

    But you will need your own Win 10 key, or possibly a valid Win 7 or Win 8 key not used elsewhere.
    (See separate tutorial if using the latter)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 829
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       01 Jul 2018 #6

    Can you get into the BIOS? if not try a hard reset of the BIOS remove the BIOS battery, If this work and you can get into the BIOS and change setting Set to Default and exit. You Should have downloaded and created an install USB media from Media Creation Tool. You will have to figure out what the Boot order Bypass is for your computer my Asus is Esc key some are F8 others are F12 you'll just have to find this out from the manufacturer. Regardless once you figure this out boot the USB Thumb drive into UEFI USB as the install begins hit the Shift F10 key combo this will bring up a command prompt
    Diskpart
    select disk (the disk/SSD you want to install windows on)
    Clean
    convert to GPT
    Exit
    Exit
    continue to install to the Raw disk/ssd

    This should get you past any domain or proprietary setting on the computer
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,021
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Jul 2018 #7

    md517 said: View Post
    Ok, so my work was bought out by a much bigger company. The new company did not need the computers we had so I was given one of them. This computer was connected to a domain which does not exist any more, it is also locked by an administrator account of which I do not have the password to. I would like to delete everything/ restore the machine so I can make my own account. No data on this computer needs to be saved. From the "factory" it came loaded with windows 7 but since was updated to windows 10...if that matters? I was quoted by a local computer repair place $60/ hr and they said it could take up to 3 hours... so this can be done? Is it possible for me to do this at home instead? Anyone know how to do this?

    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Your only viable option is to clean install Windows 10. Be sure to install the same edition it currently has to get your new install automatically activated by digital license. If the computer had Windows 10 PRO edition, install that.

    Clean install tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    01 Jul 2018 #8

    Kari said: View Post
    Your only viable option is to clean install Windows 10. Be sure to install the same edition it currently has to get your new install automatically activated by digital license. If the computer had Windows 10 PRO edition, install that.

    Clean install tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    Kari
    So if I make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Pro from another computer and boot up using that drive it should activate automatically without the need for a new product key?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    01 Jul 2018 #9

    Clintlgm said: View Post
    Can you get into the BIOS? if not try a hard reset of the BIOS remove the BIOS battery, If this work and you can get into the BIOS and change setting Set to Default and exit. You Should have downloaded and created an install USB media from Media Creation Tool. You will have to figure out what the Boot order Bypass is for your computer my Asus is Esc key some are F8 others are F12 you'll just have to find this out from the manufacturer. Regardless once you figure this out boot the USB Thumb drive into UEFI USB as the install begins hit the Shift F10 key combo this will bring up a command prompt
    Diskpart
    select disk (the disk/SSD you want to install windows on)
    Clean
    convert to GPT
    Exit
    Exit
    continue to install to the Raw disk/ssd

    This should get you past any domain or proprietary setting on the computer
    This sounds good but I am not sure what I need to do to get into the BIOS... I also don't know what a lot of what you are trying to say means... I'm sorry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,021
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Jul 2018 #10

    md517 said: View Post
    So if I make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Pro from another computer and boot up using that drive it should activate automatically without the need for a new product key?
    Yes, subject to the installed Windows 10 edition being the same edition than the computer already had activated.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
After remaking my acer aspire to remove the bloatware, I lost the password to my wifi network. I've tried restoring my settings, going back to the precious version of windows, but nothing worked. Thanks for your help.
Repeatedly having my Windows 10 Account Passwords Hacked. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Wondering if anyone here knows high-security ways to secure the Windows SAM (Security Accounts Manager) file from being hacked via remote network access or physical access to an unattended machine. Have already informed the police (though they...
After searching all over Gods creation I found this site which looks awesome! Now my question: I recently changed my password on my Yahoo account. When I go to login I don't get my pop up email address so I have to type in my address when I log...
I have a perplexing issue. My Windows 10 laptop does not save accounts and passwords for sites that I want to do so with. Now, my Windows 10 Desktop PC functions as it is supposed to with no problem, but not my laptop. I have it enabled to do so,...
Read more: Windows 10 will let you say goodbye to passwords forever | ZDNet

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:49.
Find Us