Windows 10: Media Creation Tool Question Solved


  1. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
       05 Jun 2018 #1

    Media Creation Tool Question


    If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive and then use the flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10, will WinRE be used for any part of the process? Iím asking because I have an old laptop running Windows 10 that doesnít like the latest version of WinRE. At some point I may want to do a clean install and I was wondering what my options were.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,195
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jun 2018 #2

    radiowaves said: View Post
    If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive and then use the flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10, will WinRE be used for any part of the process? Iím asking because I have an old laptop running Windows 10 that doesnít like the latest version of WinRE. At some point I may want to do a clean install and I was wondering what my options were.
    To my knowledge, WinRE is created as part of the installation process, but is not a part of it, just a by-product. Many people delete the Recovery Partition after anyhow. Use a DVD or thumb rescue media. So, no, I do not believe the WinRE is an active part of the installation, it's a result of it. Hope that helps.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
    Thread Starter
       05 Jun 2018 #3

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    To my knowledge, WinRE is created as part of the installation process, but is not a part of it, just a by-product. Many people delete the Recovery Partition after anyhow. Use a DVD or thumb rescue media. So, no, I do not believe the WinRE is an active part of the installation, it's a result of it. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, it does help. I really would prefer to use the new ďFresh StartĒ function to do a clean install, but Iím assuming it requires WinRE because it starts from Windows. Would you happen to know?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,195
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jun 2018 #4

    radiowaves said: View Post
    Thanks, it does help. I really would prefer to use the new “Fresh Start” function to do a clean install, but I’m assuming it requires WinRE because it starts from Windows. Would you happen to know?
    If you're referring to this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-06-05_19h59_03.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	191231

    I am not really sure. If you would rather do it that way, and I have before successfully, click the option. If you do not have a Win RE, or your machine gets funny with it, you will soon know. It just won't work. I have no way of testing that. It will first give an option to keep your files and personal stuff and some settings, or delete all. Then it will automatically restart and re-install a fresh clean Windows. Little short on a firm answer for you. But you should have a good backup of your current system first, in any case.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
    Thread Starter
       05 Jun 2018 #5

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    If you're referring to this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-06-05_19h59_03.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	191231

    I am not really sure. If you would rather do it that way, and I have before successfully, click the option. If you do not have a Win RE, or your machine gets funny with it, you will soon know. It just won't work. I have no way of testing that. It will first give an option to keep your files and personal stuff and some settings, or delete all. Then it will automatically restart and re-install a fresh clean Windows. Little short on a firm answer for you. But you should have a good backup of your current system first, in any case.
    I tried Reset this PC on the laptop in question a while back and it crashed with a blue screen. That’s different from Fresh Start. See this link:

    Fresh Start Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    I assume Fresh Start also requires WinRE, but I’m not sure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,195
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jun 2018 #6

    radiowaves said: View Post
    I tried Reset this PC on the laptop in question a while back and it crashed with a blue screen. That’s different from Fresh Start. See this link:

    Fresh Start Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    I assume Fresh Start also requires WinRE, but I’m not sure.
    Based on your example, you may be right. There seem to be routines it's calling from WinRE to perform some of the Pre-Setup before a restart. Not finding them or finding corrupt ones is causing a crash. I just went thru as far as I wanted to without actually doing it, and got a $sysreset folder in the C: drive. That would contain parameters to be used for the actual process. I stopped right there. And deleted the folder.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
    Thread Starter
       05 Jun 2018 #7

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Based on your example, you may be right. There seem to be routines it's calling from WinRE to perform some of the Pre-Setup before a restart. Not finding them or finding corrupt ones is causing a crash. I just went thru as far as I wanted to without actually doing it, and got a $sysreset folder in the C: drive. That would contain parameters to be used for the actual process. I stopped right there. And deleted the folder.
    Thanks again for your help with this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,195
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jun 2018 #8

    radiowaves said: View Post
    Thanks again for your help with this.
    You're welcome.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Media Creation Tool question in Installation and Upgrade
Hi, I have never had any problems using the Media Creation Tool to perform a Windows 10 clean installation until yesterday so I have a couple of questions. 1. The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool...
Solved Question about media creation tool in Installation and Upgrade
Hello guys. I have just downloaded media creation tool from MS. File version says 10.0.15063.0 Is this the correct version for CU? Can I download the ISO and upgrade my current Anniversary Update?
Hello, If I were to download the Media Creation Tool, August 2nd, at 12:00am Central Time, would I be able to download Windows 10 Redstone (1607; Anniversary Update)? I do have a MCT already downloaded, can I still use it? Or do I have to...
Solved Media Creation Tool Question in Installation and Upgrade
I have a USB installation thumb drive that I created using the Media Creation Tool back in August 2015 to clean install on a new laptop. I may have the time I need to upgrade my desktop and I am preparing everything I need for a clean install. ...
Solved Media Creation Tool question in Installation and Upgrade
I plan on doing a clean install. My question is do I still need to upgrade to windows 10 first or can I just enter the windows 7 key during the clean install of windows 10? Thank you for this information
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35.
Find Us