Clean install on new hardware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 12
    Windows 11 Home
       #1

    Clean install on new hardware


    I'm sure this has been asked many times and I can see a lot of threads similar to this but each one had some different detail about it, so I just went ahead and made a new one.

    I'm planning on upgrading my hardware in a few weeks, specifically :


    • Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    • Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
    • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    • Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive


    I only listed the important ones, which I think are going to affect my Windows installation.

    Now to the point : I have a free Windows 10 Home updated from Windows 7, my hardware is what you see on my profile. What I want to do is perform a clean install on the new 960 EVO drive along with the new components and I'm not entirely sure how to do that since I don't have the installation media, my CD/DVD drive doesn't work properly but I do have spare USB sticks if needed and I have the license files safely stored (it's a procedure I read on this forum some time ago).

    My main concern, though, is if Windows 10 will like the new environment with the actual license or if I have to purchase a new one or whatever Microsoft requires me to do, which is why I'm planning ahead and asking here for some guidance on what will be the best approach in this case.

    To sum it up, what I'm asking is :


    1. How to perform a clean install in this given situation?
    2. Will I require a new license from Microsoft?


    Thanks in advance for any help :)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 186
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #2

    It's a different motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd.
    Most likely you'll need to buy a new Windows 10 key.
    I'm gonna be in the same boat as you this fall.
    Only difference is I wont be upgrading my ssd.
    I already have a new Windows 10 Pro key planned.
    What we're doind as Microsoft see's it is a new pc, as evry main component changed, so our current key for Windows 10 won't work.
    Different motherboard & cpu= new pc to Microsoft.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 12
    Windows 11 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    BRKKAB said:
    It's a different motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd.
    Most likely you'll need to buy a new Windows 10 key.
    I'm gonna be in the same boat as you this fall.
    Only difference is I wont be upgrading my ssd.
    I already have a new Windows 10 Pro key planned.
    What we're doind as Microsoft see's it is a new pc, as evry main component changed, so our current key for Windows 10 won't work.
    Different motherboard & cpu= new pc to Microsoft.
    Thanks, I figured Windows wouldn't like that but I thought I'd ask just in case.

    So, at this point, I think I can just get a Windows 10 Installation on a USB stick and perform a clean install on the new drive and then purchase the key from Microsoft, without bothering doing it from the current installation.

    I'll take a look at the guides and prepare everything, meanwhile I'll also consider whether to get a key for Home or another version.

    If anyone else has additional info or tips, they're all welcome :)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,078
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    So, at this point, I think I can just get a Windows 10 Installation on a USB stick and perform a clean install on the new drive and then purchase the key from Microsoft, without bothering doing it from the current installation.
    You might want to try it anyway just to see what happens.....that is, use the MCT and perform a clean install and when asked to input key, just skip that step and go on to install windows. Once done then reboot it may activate for you since it's tied your MS account....if your lucky. It may or may not work.....as some have reported that it has worked for them while others report that it hasn't. To many variables to ask why it doesn't take for some.

    If it doesn't take, then go buy your version of windows 10 (Home/Pro) but make sure it's a retail copy.....it's transferable. More expensive but well worth it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 380
    Windows 10-Pro 64bit
       #5

    JunJay said:
    ...I'm planning on upgrading my hardware in a few weeks, specifically :


    • Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    • Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
    • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    • Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive


    I only listed the important ones, which I think are going to affect my Windows installation...
    Which of these are the new components & which are the old components?
    Changing drives has no effect on the digital license.

    Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 12,563
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #6

    A situation on one of Win10 forums, may have been this one, arose with the change of the CPU in a computer and Win10 activated without issue, pretty much narrowed down that the motherboard and its identification was the one thing in kicking in the process. I've changed several hard drives using a clean install of Win10 and like in older versions of Windows no issues with the licensing.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 1,098
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #7

    I use Pro on all my computers, it's just easier to work on them and windows. there are several advantages and buying the retail version it is transferable to another computer as stated earlier? Not sure of that one myself but I am definitely a Pro user.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 12
    Windows 11 Home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    @Plankton : I'll give it a try, but is it best if I keep my current OS drive in and see if it requires another activation after installing all the new components and then clean install on the new drive?
    Also, thanks for the tip about the retail version :)

    @Comp Cmndo : They're all new components, the old ones (current ones) are listed in my System Specs.

    Thanks everyone for your input, the Pro version sounds interesting and it has a couple of features that I definitely want, a bit pricey though, I think it beats the RAM on the price

    P.S. What if I upgrade to PRO from my current version and then do the activation after changing hardware and performing a clean install? Would it work and would it be cheaper this way?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,434
    Windows 11 Pro
       #9

    Microsoft has provided a free method of moving the Windows 10 digital license to a new computer:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

    In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

    If it were me, I would use that method first, then think about upgrading to Pro or not once the license for Home is moved to the new computer.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 12
    Windows 11 Home
    Thread Starter
       #10

    NavyLCDR said:
    Microsoft has provided a free method of moving the Windows 10 digital license to a new computer:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

    In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

    If it were me, I would use that method first, then think about upgrading to Pro or not once the license for Home is moved to the new computer.
    This is great, I had no idea about this one. Yes I'm definitely going to try this first and then consider upgrading.

    Thank you very much :)
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums