Windows 10: How to Enable S mode in Windows 10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       1 Week Ago #11

    cereberus said: View Post
    Hi, I added an optional extra step how to create a bootable iso (and copied one of your pictures).

    Cheers C.
    First link in step 2 has a typo in URL and is therefore not working. Currently the link is this:

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3020-customize-windows-10-image-audit-mode-sysprep.htmlStep

    The word Step (highlighted) at the end of URL makes link unusable.

    Correct URL:

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3020-customize-windows-10-image-audit-mode-sysprep.html

    Or directly to Part 3 in that tutorial

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3020-customize-windows-10-image-audit-mode-sysprep.html#Part3

    BTW, that link takes to a tutorial last updated before Windows 10 was released and needs to be brought up to date as soon as I have time. Better link to same instructions (how to download ADK > Deployment Tools) would be this:

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72031-create-windows-10-iso-image-existing-installation.html

    In that tutorial the instructions to download and run elevated Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment are in steps 5.3 & 5.4.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    1 Week Ago #12

    Kari said: View Post
    First link in step 2 has a typo in URL and is therefore not working. Currently the link is this:

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3020-customize-windows-10-image-audit-mode-sysprep.htmlStep

    The word Step (highlighted) at the end of URL makes link unusable.

    Correct URL:

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3020-customize-windows-10-image-audit-mode-sysprep.html

    Or directly to Part 3 in that tutorial

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3020-customize-windows-10-image-audit-mode-sysprep.html#Part3

    BTW, that link takes to a tutorial last updated before Windows 10 was released and needs to be brought up to date as soon as I have time. Better link to same instructions (how to download ADK > Deployment Tools) would be this:

    Code:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72031-create-windows-10-iso-image-existing-installation.html

    In that tutorial the instructions to download and run elevated Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment are in steps 5.3 & 5.4.
    Many thanks - guide updated accordingly.

    Out of interest, I copied the vhdx file as a backup and looked at option to convert to full PRO - I was fully activated because I installed it in a VM that had a PRO digital licence.

    I had to update the Store first, then went to the Store from activation menu and just clicked GET button, and said I had save my files (none to lose in vm), and it only took a few seconds.

    The message to say it was successful in fourth picture is a typically obscure MS message "You are running Windows 10 S Mode Switch and you are all set"

    Last picture shows it is now running just PRO 10.

    Note: You cannot go back to S Mode after switching, so anybody trying this needs to image back up S Mode version first.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	188749


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	188750


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p3.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	188751


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	188752


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	188753
    Last edited by cereberus; 1 Week Ago at 04:58.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    1 Week Ago #13

    It works for Home as well which is possibly more useful for those click happy persona as such users are normally Home users.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM
       1 Week Ago #14

    So, this wouldn't be an option for gamers. Since Steam and other gaming clients will not work with the S version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #15

    ern88 said: View Post
    So, this wouldn't be an option for gamers. Since Steam and other gaming clients will not work with the S version.
    Not designed for gamers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    1 Week Ago #16

    Cereberus: your guide is far enough along you should chat with @Brink about the possibility of turning it into a TF tutorial. I think it's about ready for prime-time myself. Again: good job.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #17

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Cereberus: your guide is far enough along you should chat with @Brink about the possibility of turning it into a TF tutorial. I think it's about ready for prime-time myself. Again: good job.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--
    Thanks - I will do that.
    @Brink, can you assist?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 29,388
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17672
       1 Week Ago #18

    Hey Martin @cereberus, :)

    So far, I would recommend to include more details or links in the steps on how to do them. It should be laid out for a noob to be able to follow with nothing assumed they already know how to do. This way there's no confusion or chances of a mistake being made.

    Here's some more info I found about "S mode" to help if you would like to add any of it before converting to a tutorial.

    Last edited by Brink; 1 Week Ago at 10:45.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    1 Week Ago #19

    Brink said: View Post
    Hey Martin @cereberus, :)

    So far, I would recommend to include more details or links in the steps on how to do them. It should be laid out for a noob to be able to follow with nothing assumed they already know how to do. This way there's no confusion or chances of a mistake being made.

    Here's some more info I found about "S mode" to help if you would like to add any of it before converting to a tutorial.

    Ok - when time permits, I will have a crack but not at the moment.

    As a suggestion, perhaps a guide subsection in the tutorials section mihht be useful i.e. guides like this that are easy enough to follow but assume sone experience?

    I have written a couple of guides that people here have happily followed but they do not have every click e.g. I might say "use fix wondows boot problems"using Macrium Reflect, rather than showing every click, putting a reference to the MR Tutorial.

    I could video every step and create a video more easily I suppose.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 29,388
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17672
       1 Week Ago #20

    I prefer to work hands on with someone to help with their tutorial since there's really no one way of creating one.

    I agree that there's no need to include every step on how to do something simple, but a link in case needed would be good. A video is always nice if you like.

    Example linking for step 4:

    (original)
    Create usb installation flash drive using standard windows iso

    (with links)
    Create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using a Windows 10 ISO file
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Related Threads
    Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhanced mode in Hyper-V. EDIT: This has now been modified for release version. Please guys, do not add any comments about Virtualbox or VMware being better. Start a new thread if you wish to...
    Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode in Installation and Upgrade
    Hello, This is my first post here. Just joined TenForums. I`m having a problem trying to install W10 in UEFI mode. It keeps installing in Legacy mode. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in the UEFI BIOS? Also it takes too long for the...
    How can I install w10 in uefi mode in Installation and Upgrade
    Hi guys, I made a mess installing w10 in legacy bios mode, while I saw already running w8 in uefi mode. I'm actually on a w10 system with legacy bios mode. How can I install w10 in uefi mode, if bios won't start the installation of w10 using an...
    After searching through multiple threads I am seeing assistance at all levels on what to do when errors and BSODs occur during or after installing Win10. This is relative to ISO or upgrades, all inclusive. As I have NOT installed Win10 on any of...
    Solved W10 install in UEFI mode in Installation and Upgrade
    When I receive the Windows 10 download on July 29th or whenever they send it to me, I want to install it in UEFI mode. I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit currently and it is installed in BIOS mode. (Long story, I've never been willing to clean install...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21.
    Find Us