Windows 10: Upgrade Perfect Now Should I Clean Install

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    31 Jul 2015 #1

    Upgrade Perfect Now Should I Clean Install


    I did the upgrade on my Laptop from 8.1 to 10, went smoothly everything works so far. Now i have to decide do a reset and do a clean install since i always worry if later there will e a problem, should i safely think if no problems now that if i reformat a clean install that all drivers will be there and everything will be ok. Tomorrow i do my Alienware Aurora R4 desktop and prey it goes well. Then since i have 30 Hard Drives that i will be able to do a network share and be able to see it on my living room TV, will pray.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       31 Jul 2015 #2

    You should do a Google search on alienware and windows 10 upgrade. Lots oof problems with the video.

    As for a clean install, if everything is working well after the upgrade, why do a Clean install?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    31 Jul 2015 #3

    Ztruker said: View Post
    You should do a Google search on alienware and windows 10 upgrade. Lots oof problems with the video.
    i did google on alienware but dont see it for Auroroa R4 model, but will search again
    As for a clean install, if everything is working well after the upgrade, why do a Clean install?
    I guess i can wait a bit longer since no problems yet, i always worry about an upgrade i had always relied on a clean install.
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jul 2015 #4

    Ztruker said: View Post
    You should do a Google search on alienware and windows 10 upgrade. Lots oof problems with the video.

    As for a clean install, if everything is working well after the upgrade, why do a Clean install?
    An Alienware Aurora R4 is based on an Intel X79 motherboard. If it's combined with an nVidia graphics card, I wouldn't expect graphics problems. (Apparently their fan speed controller software is another story, but that's not critical.) One of my PCs uses an Asus X79 board and an nVidia GTX 970 graphics card. Upgraded very nicely.

    As for a clean install, it may not be necessary. However, when I was playing with the Insider previews, I found that bugs from one version sometime migrated to the next if I did an upgrade. If I did a clean install, I got a new set of bugs. (Change is good.)

    The Win 10 install on my main PC is a clean install. (Restored 8.1, upgraded it, booted from a USB thumb drive, deleted the partitions, installed Win 10 as on a new HD. It activated, as advertised.) I prepared things so that I could restore my applications and files quickly. (Boot drive is an SSD. Data drive is a 3TB spinner.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Jul 2015 #5

    bobkn said: View Post
    An Alienware Aurora R4 is based on an Intel X79 motherboard. If it's combined with an nVidia graphics card, I wouldn't expect graphics problems. (Apparently their fan speed controller software is another story, but that's not critical.) One of my PCs uses an Asus X79 board and an nVidia GTX 970 graphics card. Upgraded very nicely.



    As for a clean install, it may not be necessary. However, when I was playing with the Insider previews, I found that bugs from one version sometime migrated to the next if I did an upgrade. If I did a clean install, I got a new set of bugs. (Change is good.)

    The Win 10 install on my main PC is a clean install. (Restored 8.1, upgraded it, booted from a USB thumb drive, deleted the partitions, installed Win 10 as on a new HD. It activated, as advertised.) I prepared things so that I could restore my applications and files quickly. (Boot drive is an SSD. Data drive is a 3TB spinner.)
    Thanks for the info, yes just got home, about to upgrade my Alienware(praying), hope all goes well. I hope if and when upgrade is done, im hoping my shared drives are vilible since they were not in win 8.1. I will keep you updated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 Jul 2015 #6

    If upgrading was perfect, don't be shy (rejuvenate you hard drive) clean install Win Ten.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Jul 2015 #7

    MikeMecanic said: View Post
    If upgrading was perfect, don't be shy (rejuvenate you hard drive) clean install Win Ten.
    Well i did the pc reset and it has been stuck at 2% for at least 15 min, hope it goes well, now im scared.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Jul 2015 #8

    Upgrade your life: Clean Install 10240
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 Jul 2015 #9

    MikeMecanic said: View Post
    If upgrading was perfect, don't be shy (rejuvenate you hard drive) clean install Win Ten.
    Well i did the pc reset and it has been stuck at 2% for at least 15 min, hope it goes well, now im scared.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    31 Jul 2015 #10

    Don't know if i should wait a bit more, but then what do i do? Seems stuck
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Upgrade or Clean Install....? in Installation and Upgrade
Having read a number of articles on the subject of "Upgrade or Clean Install", I am still uncertain as to which option delivers the greatest benefits with the least disadvantages. Currently it seems that the decision is one of personal preference -...
Solved Clean Install after upgrade in Installation and Upgrade
I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over files... idk, i want to do a clean install, but i dont want to loose my genuine copy of windows. also, i...
Clean Install or Upgrade - SP3 in Installation and Upgrade
Hi Guys New to the forum, but been reading for a while. I have a Surface Pro 3 I7/512Gb/8GB Ram - Upgraded to WinX But... I want to know, is it worth doing a clean install instead of just leaving it as it is? Has anyone seen any performance...
Nothing else to add: So far so good.
Upgrade vs Clean Install in Installation and Upgrade
The fix for many problems seems to be a Clean Install but this is defeating part of the test process. When 10 is released, I would bet 90% of the people who switch will do an upgrade because that is what they are being offered. Few will know what...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50.
Find Us