Windows 10: Being advised not to upgrade but to fresh install ?

  1.    31 Jul 2015 #1

    Being advised not to upgrade but to fresh install ?


    im so confused right now! people are reporting tons of problems when upgrading to win10, and my friends to do a fresh install of it ?

    but i though windows 10 was a upgrade only thing ? or do they mean my current OS as of right now.. to do a clean install and then upgrade instantly ?

    just trying to prepare before i start upgrading. but dont want it to be a huge hassle of problems after ive upgraded!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.   My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 22,801
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16257
       31 Jul 2015 #3

    Hello Dibbz, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If this is for the free Windows 10 upgrade offer, then it must be upgraded from your activated Windows 7/8.1 PC first to register the PC for the Windows 10 activation. Afterwards, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 on the PC if you like.



    Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

    Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer or Media Creation Tool on an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

    You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10.

    The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card serial numbers) of the PC it was upgraded on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jul 2015 #4

    yeah i kinda know that but thx for the video anyways.

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Dibbz, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If this is for the free Windows 10 upgrade offer, then it must be upgraded from your activated Windows 7/8.1 PC first to register the PC for the Windows 10 activation. Afterwards, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 on the PC if you like.



    Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

    Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer or Media Creation Tool on an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

    You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10.

    The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card serial numbers) of the PC it was upgraded on.
    ah dam i need a product activation key > - great! i dunno if HP even gives out product activation keys.. either way i need to contact HP now!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 22,801
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16257
       31 Jul 2015 #5

    If your current Windows 7 installation is activated, then you won't need the key. You'll be able to upgrade to the free Windows 10 offer using step 3 below if you like.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    31 Jul 2015 #6

    Brink said: View Post
    If your current Windows 7 installation is activated, then you won't need the key. You'll be able to upgrade to the free Windows 10 offer using step 3 below if you like.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html
    yeah but im not wanting to upgrade.. id much prefer to do a fresh install of windows 10.. i looked through the link you posted...

    i download the update. copy it to a USB then later on create a ISO on a bootable disk and i need to have a windows product activation key.

    :EDIT:

    never mind i just re-read what you said...

    so i upgrade my PC to windows 10.. then how do i proceed to doing a clean install ? im guessing once you have upgraded. there is a option somewhere that allows you to copy the win10 installation files onto a USB or disk etc!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 22,801
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16257
       31 Jul 2015 #7

    You can do a clean install after you upgraded. The upgrade process is what locks in the Windows 10 activation on your PC. If you don't do an upgrade first, then Windows 10 will not be activated.

    A Windows 7 key will not activate Windows 10. You don't get a Windows 10 key for the free offer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    31 Jul 2015 #8

    Brink said: View Post
    You can do a clean install after you upgraded. The upgrade process is what locks in the Windows 10 activation on your PC. If you don't do an upgrade first, then Windows 10 will not be activated.

    A Windows 7 key will not activate Windows 10. You don't get a Windows 10 key for the free offer.
    DiBBz said: View Post
    :EDIT:

    never mind i just re-read what you said...

    so i upgrade my PC to windows 10.. then how do i proceed to doing a clean install ? im guessing once you have upgraded. there is a option somewhere that allows you to copy the win10 installation files onto a USB or disk etc!
    re-edited post
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to do a fresh install of windows 10? in Installation and Upgrade
So i currently have 8.1 and i would like to reformat my Partition and do a clean install of windows 10. I have downloaded the windows 10 CD boot from here Windows 10 i have windows 8.1 home so i downloaded windows 10 home. And when i was doing the...
Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install in Installation and Upgrade
hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i...
Nothing else to add: So far so good.
Fresh Install in Installation and Upgrade
I have Windows 8.1 it came with my Alienware Laptop. I have recently installed Windows 10 TP accidentally overwriting my install of Windows 8.1. (I have all my personal files saved to other drives connected to the laptop so fresh installs mean...
Solved Fresh Install in General Support
I haven't seen this information posted anywhere in the Microsoft site or here ~ Once Windows 10 is released to the general public - can I skip the upgrade (I've never had much luck, and it seems to gunk up my system with needless old files) -...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41.
Find Us