Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?


  1. Posts : 137
    Windows 10
       #1

    Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?


    A friend of mine had his Lenovo PC serviced and the OS had to be reinstalled. Once he received it, we found out the OS was put on the regular 1TB HDD and the 256GB M.2 SATA SSD left as the "extra storage." Not surprisingly, he was complaining about speed.

    So already have my tools ready for cloning (a.k.a MReflect) but had a question...Can the OEM partitions be left on the regular HDD and only the OS migrated? Or do I have to clone the current 1TB HDD as-is to the 256GB SSD in order to not loose the Lenovo One-Key recovery function?

    The only partition I don't believe needs to be cloned is the 25GB [D:] drive as it contains the drivers. So I think that can stay on Disk 1.

    Picture below to convey the current setup...

    Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?-lenovo_2disks.png
      My Computer

  2. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,033
    Windows10
       #2

    Frankly, I would not bother with the Lenovo one-key recovery. I got rid of mine years ago. That only puts pc back to its initial state which is a waste of time, as you get a new windows build Every six months and eventually old ones are no longer supported.

    I would just clean install Windows 10 on sdd (deleting all partitions on ssd) as you do not have much installed yet then delete all but perhaps the D drive (I doubt you even need this).
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 137
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    cereberus said:
    Frankly, I would not bother with the Lenovo one-key recovery. I got rid of mine years ago. That only puts pc back to its initial state which is a waste of time, as you get a new windows build Every six months and eventually old ones are no longer supported.
    I would just clean install Windows 10 on sdd (deleting all partitions on ssd) as you do not have much installed yet then delete all but perhaps the D drive (I doubt you even need this).
    You make a good point about the One-Key recovery because the current Windows 10 version on the PC is build 10240 (ver. 1507) That's going to be a lot of Windows updates...
      My Computer

  4. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,033
    Windows10
       #4

    KabyBlue said:
    You make a good point about the One-Key recovery because the current Windows 10 version on the PC is build 10240 (ver. 1507) That's going to be a lot of Windows updates...
    Actually, it is only one - you do not have to go through intermediate versions. The only point of a one-key recovery is to reinstate all the vendor crapware. If I remember correctly you can make a backup to an external drive if you ever really wanted to go back. IMO, that is just a waste of time - Macrium Reflect can backup things much better, and include programs etc.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 137
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    cereberus said:
    Actually, it is only one - you do not have to go through intermediate versions. The only point of a one-key recovery is to reinstate all the vendor crapware. If I remember correctly you can make a backup to an external drive if you ever really wanted to go back. IMO, that is just a waste of time - Macrium Reflect can backup things much better, and include programs etc.
    Thnx for the heads up. I took your advice and formatted the SSD & did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1709 on there. I then deleted the OS partition from the 1TB hdd and left the OEM recovery partitions, in case my friend wants to use it someday.

    PC runs much faster now (as expected).

    Marking this thread as solved :)
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums