Windows 10: Win 10 clean install question

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    13 Apr 2018 #1

    Win 10 clean install question


    I just downloaded the Win 10 iso file from Microsoft, burned it to a DVD and and the computer booted from it just fine. But,- this is a HP Pavilion Notebook, and I'm wondering about drivers. Does the Win10 iso come with these drivers onboard? I would hate to perform a clean install only to find out that evertyhing goes south due to missing drivers.

    I've done clean installs a hundred times, but that was in the day were you either had the installation CD's/dvd's that came with the computer or you could burn installation DVD's from the system (as in Win7).
    Last edited by emtor; 13 Apr 2018 at 09:41.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    13 Apr 2018 #2

    Do you currently have Windows 10 installed?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Apr 2018 #3

    Yes, win 10 is currently installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,161
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Apr 2018 #4

    emtor said: View Post
    I just downloaded the Win 10 iso file from Microsoft, burned it to a DVD and and the computer booted from it just fine. But,- this is a HP Pavilion Notebook, and I'm wondering about drivers. Does the Win10 iso come with these drivers onboard? I would hate to perform a clean install only to find out that evertyhing goes south due to missing drivers.

    I've done clean installs a hundred times, but that was in the day were you either had the installation CD's/dvd's that came with the computer or you could burn installation DVD's from the system (as in Win7).
    The ISO will contain the basic drivers to get you up and running, and then check for any missing or newer drivers that have passed WHQL. They may not be the absolutely latest and/or best for your machine or setup, but it's usually a pretty decent starting setup. Then, it's best to check your vendors' sites for any specific updates you could benefit from. Avoid 3rd party Driver Update Utilities! They are a plague! Stick with MS and your vendors.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,550
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       13 Apr 2018 #5

    emtor said: View Post
    Yes, win 10 is currently installed.
    f14tomcat said: View Post
    The ISO will contain the basic drivers to get you up and running, and then check for any missing or newer drivers that have passed WHQL. They may not be the absolutely latest and/or best for your machine or setup, but it's usually a pretty decent starting setup...
    The install is usually pretty good at finding suitable drivers. As a precaution, just in case you need them, you can back up the existing drivers as per this tutorial....

    Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    13 Apr 2018 #6

    If I were you I would do the clean install online connected to ethernet, and not WIFI. When Windows goes to first boot, it will search for any missing drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Apr 2018 #7

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    The ISO will contain the basic drivers to get you up and running, and then check for any missing or newer drivers that have passed WHQL. They may not be the absolutely latest and/or best for your machine or setup, but it's usually a pretty decent starting setup. Then, it's best to check your vendors' sites for any specific updates you could benefit from. Avoid 3rd party Driver Update Utilities! They are a plague! Stick with MS and your vendors.
    Good to hear, thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Apr 2018 #8

    flybynite said: View Post
    If I were you I would do the clean install online connected to ethernet, and not WIFI. When Windows goes to first boot, it will search for any missing drivers.
    I'll do that, my WIFI quits from time to time, although it's seldom. Wouldn't want it to quit in the middle of the install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Apr 2018 #9

    As long as you make a backup before you start (either a specific driver backup as @Bree mentioned above or any sort of system image) you can restore any drivers from there if you need to. For example if you made a Macrium backup you could mount the image, then go to device manager and update anything with a yellow triangle by pointing to the Windows directory in your backup as the driver source.

    Probably you will not need to but better safe than sorry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 19,871
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       13 Apr 2018 #10

    Installing drivers or re-installing drivers using HP computer's is relatively easy.
    HP has software which will download and install most of the drivers automatically.
    After a clean install download and install from the HP website either:
    a) HP support assistant
    or
    b) HP softpaq download manager
    The HP support assistant is for both consumer and business computers.
    The HP softpaq download managers is mostly for the business line of computers.

    Each of the HP software will indicate which software needs to downloaded manually.


    HP SoftPaq Download Manager Release Notes | HP Client Management Solutions
    HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) | HP® Customer Support
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Clean install question in Installation and Upgrade
I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it?
New 64bit clean install question in Installation and Upgrade
I would like to do a clean install on my wife's PC, going from Win 10 Pro 32bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit. However, she has multitudes of icons and software installed, making a clean install very difficult to say the least. I would like to copy her...
Clean Install Question in Installation and Upgrade
I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in...
Clean Install Question in Installation and Upgrade
I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig...
Clean install question. in Installation and Upgrade
It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29.
Find Us