Windows 10: Why some 2GB HP/Compaq laptops come with x64 installed?

  1.    04 Apr 2018 #1

    Why some 2GB HP/Compaq laptops come with x64 installed?


    I am currently trying to update an HP slim laptop which comes with only 32GB of storage space. I do not want to format but it is giving me trouble trying to free up some space. I have noticed that this 2GB RAM laptop comes with w10 x64 installed (GPT partition scheme). Shouldn't be better going the x86 route? It doesn't even have a dedicated graphic card.

    What do you think?

    PS - I think UEFI boot forces you into x64, right? So the way to proceed would be enabling Legacy boot support in BIOS and clearing the disk and recreate all partitions with the MBR scheme.

    PS2 - By Googling for info I have found that UEFI BIOS must be matched with Operating System Architecture. So if the laptop comes with x64 preinstalled, then UEFI is 64bits and cannot boot any x86 installation at all.

    Still, all opinions are welcome.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Apr 2018 #2

    32bit OSs are depreciated all the time as well as SW. 64bit OS can run 32bit applications too but x86 can't run 64bit apps, so it's more versatile. It also isn't all about just amount of RAM, 64bit OS and SW car run more efficiently than 32bit because most if not all modern processors are 64bit. Even phones come with 4 or more RAM so most laptops and such can also upgrade to 4GB of more and than 64bit OS makes even more sense.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Apr 2018 #3

    That laptop has got serious issues with free space, so I was thinking x86 version would take up a little less space. Anyway after two failed attempts of updating w10 to 1709, I am waiting for the Spring Creators Update. I will perform a clean installation then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Apr 2018 #4

    eLPuSHeR said: View Post
    That laptop has got serious issues with free space, so I was thinking x86 version would take up a little less space. Anyway after two failed attempts of updating w10 to 1709, I am waiting for the Spring Creators Update. I will perform a clean installation then.
    It doesn't take less space and same free space is required for update but that could be cleaned up a bit. Update creates windows.old folder so at least that much and some more space is required for update, typically some 20GB. Clean install may be easier because it starts with empty disk but other things like drivers or other incompatibilities may interfere. It would be essential to prepare all drivers in that case.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,829
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       05 Apr 2018 #5

    CountMike said: View Post
    It doesn't take less space and same free space is required for update...
    Beg to differ, you'll see that the x86 install.esd for 1709 is smaller than the x64 one by about 24%, a difference that's also reflected in the installed OS it produces. I have x64 and x86 installed on separate machines.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1709 x86 v x64 sizes.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	183536

    The CUs are smaller too.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1709 x86 v x64 CU sizes.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	183538
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....(KB4089848)%20
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    06 Apr 2018 #6

    Good day and thanks for your replies.

    I have talked to the owner and we are waiting for the Spring Creators Update. Then, we will do a clean installation. I will try x86 mbr first if possible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. sn00ker's Avatar
    Posts : 497
    10 pro 64 clean install
       06 Apr 2018 #7

    eLPuSHeR said: View Post
    I am currently trying to update an HP slim laptop which comes with only 32GB of storage space. I do not want to format but it is giving me trouble trying to free up some space. I have noticed that this 2GB RAM laptop comes with w10 x64 installed (GPT partition scheme). Shouldn't be better going the x86 route? It doesn't even have a dedicated graphic card.

    What do you think?

    PS - I think UEFI boot forces you into x64, right? So the way to proceed would be enabling Legacy boot support in BIOS and clearing the disk and recreate all partitions with the MBR scheme.

    PS2 - By Googling for info I have found that UEFI BIOS must be matched with Operating System Architecture. So if the laptop comes with x64 preinstalled, then UEFI is 64bits and cannot boot any x86 installation at all.

    Still, all opinions are welcome.
    I'm curious to know your 32gb drive, is it by chance a 32gb eMMC ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 Apr 2018 #8

    Most probably yes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Apr 2018 #9

    First, let me make it clear that the UEFI standard is not restricted to 64bit. Many tablets use UEFI 32bit. The restriction lies in the ways pcs implement the standard. In simple terms most use a firmware that will only boot UEFI as 64bit.
    Equally some devices can only boot 32bit UEFI.

    I have never heard of a device capable of booting either in UEFI.

    So, it is 99.9999% certain, the only way of installing 32bit on your device is if it supports 32bit legacy bios.

    If not, you are stuck with a 64bit version.

    So does pc have option in bios to boot from legacy bios?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Our old Laptop Compaq Presario CQ61-222SA 15.6 inch (Intel Pentium Processor T4200, 3 GB 3GB DDR2, 3GB DDR2) Win 8.1 64bit, has lost its Sound. I googled the fault & got a lot of info how to solve it, followed all suggestions & troubleshoots to...
Well, I've got my father's Compaq CQ58 running on Windows 10 with me now since out of the blue it just does not want to boot at all. No matter how much I press the turn on button, absolutely nothing happens. It is connected to a working plug, and...
Installing Win10 on an old Compaq laptop in Installation and Upgrade
As an experiment, I'm trying to install Win10 on an old Compaq laptop that originally ran XP, but over the years, I have upgraded it to Vista, and then to Win7, and it still works OK. It won't boot from USB so I made a DVD of Win10 and while it...
Compaq rollback 10 to 8.1 Pro (x64) in Installation and Upgrade
I was (over the telephone) attempting to assist someone rolling their Compaq Presario CQ57 back from 10 Pro x64 to 8.1 Pro. The upgrade was done on 8/18, so well within the 30 day window. Using the standard roll back option from the recovery...
Installation of Build 10074 on Compaq 110c in Installation and Upgrade
I recently decided to sacrifice the OEM XP on this mini laptop and found it quite easy and relatively successful except for some minor hiccups: 1. The video controller driver appears to be missing so I don't get the Start screen nor the Charms. On...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.
Find Us