Windows 10: Question before performing a clean installation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Mar 2018 #1

    Question before performing a clean installation


    I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the installation process. I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of the guys on the forum. Are there other users who have PC or laptop devices showing up under Device Backups in OneDrive Online on Windows 10. The message I'm getting is that I dont have any devices backing up. In Windows 10..its always been empty for me!
    Sync Settings has always been enabled. Ive had a conversation on the Microsoft Community forum with moderators and they say I should have backups there on Windows 10 just the same as I used to get with Windows 8 and 8.1. Confusing! I did see someone on here post that it only works in Windows 10 for phones. I quoted this to Microsoft Moderators and they told me that's not correct
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,128
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       31 Mar 2018 #2

    This tutorial may shed some light on the discussion.

    Turn On or Off Sync Settings for Microsoft Account in Windows 10

    Of course things like Firefox or Chrome are saved through your sign in to their products. If you use Thunderbird save your profile.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Mar 2018 #3

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    This tutorial may shed some light on the discussion.

    Turn On or Off Sync Settings for Microsoft Account in Windows 10

    Of course things like Firefox or Chrome are saved through your sign in to their products. If you use Thunderbird save your profile.
    Hi Ken. No, the tutorial doesn't provide any info about the device backups or how the process is supposed to work in Windows 10. Like I said Ive always had those syncing options all enabled..and I always use the Edge browser. I don't use any other browsers at all
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,128
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       31 Mar 2018 #4

    Agree it doesn't but it talks to how to sync your settings. (given you have a Microsoft account and in tutorial Shawn uses @Outlook.com account) At the bottom are other links to things like Syncing Favorites.

    I don't used Edge at all. I use Chrome and the stuff I need sync'ed is within it.

    I'll look see in the tutorials if Shawn has one on device backups.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8,128
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       31 Mar 2018 #5

    So I did quick search and started here.

    Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration

    It mentions "Sync Settings" in the blue Note area which kicks you to the first tutorial I posted.

    You will notice numerous links at bottom of tutorial that will take you to numerous subjects on Onedrive. None per say talk to device backups.

    Of course devices backup has different meanings to different members. If you backup all your data to Onedrive and have synced settings "On" one could call this a device backup. I wouldn't. For me a device backup is the OS, drivers programs and data.

    Is there any particular sync setting that you are wanting to backup that the tutorial does not talk mention?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    01 Apr 2018 #6

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    So I did quick search and started here.

    Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration

    It mentions "Sync Settings" in the blue Note area which kicks you to the first tutorial I posted.

    You will notice numerous links at bottom of tutorial that will take you to numerous subjects on Onedrive. None per say talk to device backups.

    Of course devices backup has different meanings to different members. If you backup all your data to Onedrive and have synced settings "On" one could call this a device backup. I wouldn't. For me a device backup is the OS, drivers programs and data.

    Is there any particular sync setting that you are wanting to backup that the tutorial does not talk mention?
    The only reason I use it is so that my favourites in Edge and Internet Explorer are automatically backed up and automatically reinstalled again after a clean installation plus a few other individual general settings are done automatically as well. Its nice and handy and saves a lot of messing about
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8,128
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       01 Apr 2018 #7

    Oh I agree, having them in cloud makes it a whole lot easier.

    As a backup to syncing there is this tutorial on Edge favorites and I'm sure you can find one on IE.

    Backup and Restore Microsoft Edge Favorites in Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 13,047
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       01 Apr 2018 #8

    sportsfan148 said: View Post
    Hi Ken. No, the tutorial doesn't provide any info about the device backups or how the process is supposed to work in Windows 10. Like I said Ive always had those syncing options all enabled..and I always use the Edge browser. I don't use any other browsers at all
    I've never seen device backups there myself. Settings are synced via Settings and Edge's settings (Favorites and saved passwords and form fills) via Edge sync: Click settings in Edge, and make sure that your account is correct, syncing is on and after check device syncing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	183138
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Apr 2018 #9

    AndreTen said: View Post
    I've never seen device backups there myself. Settings are synced via Settings and Edge's settings (Favorites and saved passwords and form fills) via Edge sync: Click settings in Edge, and make sure that your account is correct, syncing is on and after check device syncing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	183138
    Andre, I have a feeling that the device backup doesn't show in OneDrive on Windows 10. I haven't seen anyone say that a backup exists there anyway. I know it used to in Windows8, 8.1
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    02 Apr 2018 #10

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Oh I agree, having them in cloud makes it a whole lot easier.

    As a backup to syncing there is this tutorial on Edge favorites and I'm sure you can find one on IE.

    Backup and Restore Microsoft Edge Favorites in Windows 10
    Hi Ken, Ive used the import/export feature before..quite a while ago though. at that time I found that it left quite a few of my favourites behind. Several folder in my Edge favourites were missing when I imported them. Maybe the process works perfectly now. I haven't tried it for a while
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
You guys were right - I should have performed a clean install (if you remember). I have a 1TB drive with a messed up Windows 10 FCU. I am only using about 250GB - so I have 750GB in which to install a clean version of Windows 10. I need...
I own a dell inspiron 5558 laptop.I was performing a clean installation of fall creators update by bootable usb drive. Since I was performing a clean installation so i selected boot from usb and started installing. I chose custom installation and...
Clean installation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with activation of windows. It was working fine but suddenly, I don't know why, I used KMS tool to activate windows 10 version 1604 anniversary update. I immediately decided to uninstall it and clean install the...
hi I'm wondering about a clean installation of windows 10,heres my problem: my mom accidently cracked my touch screen on by beats audio 15 special edition pc and now we have to send it back to at&t (we have the premier protection plan insurance)...
I'm a member over at eight forums and have just registered here, hello! Windows 10 Pro was/is my default operating system - I've just installed Windows 10 EDU on a different partition on the same SSD. (One install needs Java 6 update 6 where my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:47.
Find Us