Windows 10: How to re-install W10 without losing activation key Solved

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       30 Jan 2018 #11

    I am not sure if the use of a Win7 key will activate windows 10 any longer, it should be possible to use the same one as originally used to re-activate a previously activated copy, (but as already stated it should not be needed as the offsite activation should work), The free upgrade for Assistive Technology users has now ended and I am not sure of the status of the unofficial extended free upgrade
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jan 2018 #12

    Barman58 said: View Post
    I am not sure if the use of a Win7 key will activate windows 10 any longer, it should be possible to use the same one as originally used to re-activate a previously activated copy, (but as already stated it should not be needed as the offsite activation should work), The free upgrade for Assistive Technology users has now ended and I am not sure of the status of the unofficial extended free upgrade
    I think we still can use Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10, i have not found any information about this option have been removed in latest version of Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       30 Jan 2018 #13

    The end of the AT offer only came into force on the 16Th Jan 2018, and have not heard anything either way on the general update free offer (that is not recognised by MS), as to changes in status, It will have to be checked by someone with a spare unused W7 key or active Win7/8/8.1 system to upgrade

    The initial free upgrade that allowed the use of previous keys to clean install or to upgrade an existing install for free ended on July 29, 2016, but nothing actually changed, so MS could just stop at anytime and not say anything
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jan 2018 #14

    You can't use Windows 7 product key to upgrade only clean install Windows 10. I'm not talking about free upgrade offered by Microsoft and ended.

    With Windows 10 Threshold 2 update, Microsoft has fulfilled the promise to change the Windows 10 activation process and allowed you to use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product keys for activation directly after clean installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jan 2018 #15

    Activation using GenineTicket.xml definitely still works (I've been trying swapping in and out of Pro Workstation recently). Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Don't know about clean install and activating with 7 key. It would only take 10 minutes to check it if you have one though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jan 2018 #16

    lx07 said: View Post
    Activation using GenineTicket.xml definitely still works (I've been trying swapping in and out of Pro Workstation recently). Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Don't know about clean install and activating with 7 key. It would only take 10 minutes to check it if you have one though.
    I wish i had a Windows 7 key i let you have it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jan 2018 #17

    FreeBooter said: View Post
    I wish i had a Windows 7 key i let you have it.
    Thanks but I don't need one. You can buy them off ebay for about $0.50 anyway. They are genuine I'm sure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       30 Jan 2018 #18

    I've got a number of old multiuse MAK's that I can use if I want to run a win7 Virtual machine for longer than 120 days for testing or support but not going to waste one of those to check the status of the update process
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Jan 2018 #19

    Barman58 said: View Post
    I've got a number of old multiuse MAK's that I can use if I want to run a win7 Virtual machine for longer than 120 days for testing or support but not going to waste one of those to check the status of the update process
    On other forums, people have tried it and it still works.

    Anyway, what is the problem with trying - the 7 key is not invalidated doing an upgrade, so worst case, upgrade does not work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. sn00ker's Avatar
    Posts : 496
    10 pro 64 clean install
       30 Jan 2018 #20

    I know my 8.1 keys work, it should also work with 7
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Activation after clean install. in Installation and Upgrade
I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a...
CMD Activation of new Win 10 Install. in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi All, I build/Image/HDD to SSD Upgrad lots of new PCs. And a lot of the time I need to get the Key from CMD - wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey. And then Activate Windows. And I was wondering, How can I use the...
My girlfriends computer has a hard drive that shows as having faults on the computer health scan. I would like to swap out the hard drive for another but obviously don't want to lose the Windows 10 installation. The computer had Windows 8...
Solved Install win 10 without activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all, A while back on this BBS I read about installing windows 10 without activating it because you want to give your computer away and want the new owner to activate and put in all the setting that they want. can some one post me the link to...
Hello, I took part in the free upgrade offer from 7 and used the media creation tool to upgrade (probably should have waited for the upgrade notification but meh), It worked my windows 10 is activated but, I noticed that it wasn't a clean install...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.
Find Us