Windows 10: Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10... Solved

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 20,810
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       27 Dec 2017 #21

    To find files on the computer download and install: voidtools

    It will index everything on internal and external drivers.
    It can be set to start on boot or when you need it.
    As you type characters there will be instantaneous results.
    The more characters you type the narrower the search results.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    28 Dec 2017 #22

    Couple of changes made to the system today....

    Started up the "Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x86.msu" file that resulted in this error, not certain why:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not applicable.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	169849

    The "MGADiag.exe" file confirmed the valid, retail license:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diag licensing_pv.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	169850

    Ran the Windows Update fix tool again, but the same error persist, please see attached file. The Windows update does work, but for some reason, it downloads IE 11 update, but installation fails.

    Unistalled Comodo, disabled A/V and other startup programs, disconnected the monitor's USB hub and ran the WIndows 10 update. The result was the same, installation failed error after 100% complete and did not do the first restart.

    The "Turn Windows features on or off" shows this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows features.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	169857

    That might be the main reason why Windows 10 update fails, no?
    Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10... Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Dec 2017 #23

    Hi Cr00zng,

    Swing over to the W7 forum, we need to sort this problem out first, (updating within W7)
    (see my sig >> still on Seven Torchwood)

    Try the X64 bit version of KB947821, then it will work, you ran the x86 (32 bit version)
    Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center
    suspect you have missing/corrupt manifest files - re blank Features screenshot

    As i said DO NOT worry about details within Mgadiag there is nothing personal/specific, within it.
    no need to expundge anything
    Im more interested in another part of it
    copy/paste the complete results

    post the CBS log as well

    looking at the pdf log did this comp come with W8, and then downgraded to W7 May 2011, very strange
    Package Version:
    8.1.1.20160515
    If so, something went wrong

    A W7 computer will have a COA sticker, W8 does not

    Can you also look within Device Manager, including hidden, are there any with a smal down arrow, "!" ,or unknown.


    Roy
    Last edited by hawkman; 28 Dec 2017 at 20:43.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Dec 2017 #24

    Just me, but I would suggest a clean install to get things going on the right track again. There's also the rumor going around that upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 for free will end on December 31.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,822
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       28 Dec 2017 #25

    hawkman said: View Post
    ...did this comp come with W8, and then downgraded to W7...
    A W7 computer will have a COA sticker, W8 does not
    A PC built for W7 has a Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware, one built for W8 (or W10) has a product key in the firmware. ShowKeyPlus can tell you what yours has.

    A clean install on a W8 PC should find the embedded key and use that to determine both the edition to install (Home or Pro) and use it to activate it on the activation servers (at least, until 31st.).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    29 Dec 2017 #26

    Hello Hawkman... Thanks for your help....

    If it's all the same to you, I'd prefer continuing here...

    hawkman said: View Post
    Hi Cr00zng,

    Swing over to the W7 forum, we need to sort this problem out first, (updating within W7)
    (see my sig >> still on Seven Torchwood)

    Try the X64 bit version of KB947821, then it will work, you ran the x86 (32 bit version)
    Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center
    suspect you have missing/corrupt manifest files - re blank Features screenshot

    You are correct... The link downloads the 32-bit version and I did not check prior to running it. Searched for the 64-bit version, downloaded the "Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu" started running the file. It's been running for about 45 minutes and progress indicator stopped at around 80%, seemingly hung. Canceled the installation and it did roll back. How long this package should run?

    hawkman said: View Post
    As i said DO NOT worry about details within Mgadiag there is nothing personal/specific, within it.
    no need to expundge anything

    Im more interested in another part of it
    copy/paste the complete results

    post the CBS log as well

    Please see both files attached...

    hawkman said: View Post
    looking at the pdf log did this comp come with W8, and then downgraded to W7 May 2011, very strange
    Package Version:
    8.1.1.20160515
    If so, something went wrong

    A W7 computer will have a COA sticker, W8 does not

    Can you also look within Device Manager, including hidden, are there any with a smal down arrow, "!" ,or unknown.


    Roy

    This is a custom built PC, with retail version of Windows 7 Professional, 64-bits, the installation CD/DVD is still available. There has been no attempt to upgrade/downgrade Windows 8. Here's the system information:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winver.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	169982

    The device manager shows no issues:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	169978
    Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10... Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    29 Dec 2017 #27

    Bree said: View Post
    A PC built for W7 has a Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware, one built for W8 (or W10) has a product key in the firmware. ShowKeyPlus can tell you what yours has.

    A clean install on a W8 PC should find the embedded key and use that to determine both the edition to install (Home or Pro) and use it to activate it on the activation servers (at least, until 31st.).

    Thanks Bree, that's a nifty little software; it finds the installed key, even for Windows 10...

    The "showkey" output verifies that this system is not Windows 8, nor an OEM PC:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	show.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	169986
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Dec 2017 #28

    Hi Cr00zng,

    Cbs is confirming my suspicisions regarding missing packages/manifests.

    KB947821, (SURT), can take upto a couple of hours to run depending on the level of corruption.

    please let it run to completion, at times it looks like that nothing is happening, but thats normal


    Roy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Dec 2017 #29

    Hi Hawkman...

    This is a production system, I'll run the KB947821, (SURT), either later today, or tomorrow morning. It's better finish before the working hours start.

    Thanks for your help....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Dec 2017 #30

    Hi Cr00zng,
    might not be around much this week-end,
    Have a look at this tutorial
    System Update Readiness Tool - CheckSur.log File Analyzis - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Explains all about it.

    My prefferred method,
    Extract the missing packages from the standalone KB - place them in a temp file xxxx/checksur/temp
    rerun SURT it will automatically call the checksur temp file and pick up the details in it and inject them into your system


    Roy

    For ALL you 10ers, you will use dism
    Last edited by hawkman; 30 Dec 2017 at 05:49.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
There's been some talk recently of the upgrade advisor not being available in the Store on various Windows 8.1 phones or if available it will state the upgrade is not available. This was my experience recently with an unlocked 640. At one point it...
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
I have really found that the Windows Ten Forums users really know how to help others and here is my question. Some years ago I wanted to purchases a family pack 3X of Windows 7, and I purchased (sealed package) the one I have in my hand but it...
I currently have a system running legitimate copies of windows 7 &8.1 on separate partitions on the same drive. Not using any special boot loader, just dual boot menu in windows. Would like to know the best way to upgrade the windows 8.1 while...
my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.
Find Us