Windows 10: Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer Solved

  1.    20 Dec 2017 #1

    Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer


    First thing to know is that this is a 1 month old new ACER Aspire ES1-533-C55P (x64) notebook Win10 Home (x64).

    About a month ago a friend called me about his wife wasn't able to log in to their Yahoo email account because the password wasn't working anymore and the forgot password process wasn't going anywhere and that was going for at least 3 months and that was on an XP computer. The other day they called Yahoo and it was discovered their email account had been seriously hacked. My friend called me last night: in the course of depending on whatever "technical support" was doing, the computer got completely wiped-out.

    When I was originally talking with them about a month ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive and included backup system files. From what I've read it can be used to reinstall the OS. Is that true and how is it possible?

    I do know how to use Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . It will be a fresh install w/o ACER's stuff on it although it most likely would void the standard 1 year warranty for hardware.

    Opinions please.

    One more thing, will I still be able to get into the UEFI BIOS fast boot or secure boot?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    20 Dec 2017 #2

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    I do know how to use Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . It will be a fresh install w/o ACER's stuff on it although it
    I suggest you backup the drivers first. Plug in a USB thumb drive and (assuming it gets the letter "E") and make a directory "E:\Drivers.

    Then save them all like this from an elevated powershell prompt.
    PHP Code:
    Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination "E:\Drivers" 
    See the tutorial her Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

    Once you have clean installed if there are any drivers missing you can stick in the USB key and update the correct ACER drivers from there.

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    One more thing, will I still be able to get into the UEFI BIOS fast boot or secure boot?
    This has nothing to do with whether Windows or another OS is installed or not. It will work - don't worry about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Dec 2017 #3

    I would consider a clean install as mentioned above. You never know what they might have done. Since the machine already has 10 on it, you can skip the part where it asks for the key as it should auto activate.

    Another advantage of a clean install is that it wont have all the software that these companies tend to install on it, so you'll know whats on the machine. The one program I do tend to install is if the company provides a central application where you can scan for updates and install drivers from. Makes life easier.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,793
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       20 Dec 2017 #4

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    First thing to know is that this is a 1 month old new ACER Aspire ES1-533-C55P (x64) notebook Win10 Home (x64)....

    ....about a month ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive and included backup system files. From what I've read it can be used to reinstall the OS. Is that true and how is it possible?

    I do know how to use Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . It will be a fresh install w/o ACER's stuff on it although it most likely would void the standard 1 year warranty for hardware.

    Opinions please.
    Yes, you can use your Recovery Drive with system files included to do a clean install of Windows. Congratulations @MeAndMyComputer on making one, not many bother to do that.

    The 'system files' that it includes are not only all the Microsoft Windows 10 system files, but also any OEM customizations (drivers, OEM utilities, etc.). Effectively your recovery drive is the 'factory reset' drive for the PC you made it on. So yes, it should include all "ACER's stuff".

    Boot from the recovery drive and select the Troubleshoot option. There's a tutorial on this too.

    Recover Windows 10 from a Recovery Drive

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recovery drive boot.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	168911
    Last edited by Bree; 20 Dec 2017 at 08:44.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    20 Dec 2017 #5

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    My friend called me last night: in the course of depending on whatever "technical support" was doing, the computer got completely wiped-out.
    Will it still be possible to use the recovery drive to get to the Troubleshoot: Recover from a drive option?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    20 Dec 2017 #6

    Bree said: View Post
    Yes, you can use your Recovery Drive with system files included to do a clean install of Windows. Congratulations @MeAndMyComputer on making one, not many bother to do that.
    Thank you Bree: I appreciate that. I have a habit of doing that: To me that's the minimum step to take.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,793
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       20 Dec 2017 #7

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    Will it still be possible to use the recovery drive to get to the Troubleshoot: Recover from a drive option?
    Yes. The recovery drive is bootable and has all the source files needed for a complete install of Windows 10. The Troubleshoot section is part of the recovery drive's system, it doesn't use anything from the PC. No software is required to be working on the PC, just the ability to boot from a USB and that the hardware is in working order (even if the HDD is now empty).

    The only difference between doing a clean install with a recovery drive and using an ISO from Microsoft is that the recovery drive should also install any OEM customizations that were part of the PC that made the recovery drive. Those would have been included when you included system files.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    18 Jan 2018 #8

    Well this story isn't good. My friend called me today and told me his wife's computer is locked up and they have to pay to get back into the computer: whoever Yahoo support led him to did that to the computer. It probably wasn't Yahoo support he called but I can't tell. They don't understand that it's some ransomware as opposed to the computer being completely wiped out.

    BTW, this thread is a continuation of
    Does Yahoo block an email account after umpteen unsuccessful attempts?
    Does Yahoo block an email account after umpteen unsuccessful attempts Solved - Windows 10 Forums

    Is it possible to get his computer back in proper order?
    Is it possible to remove the HDD and connect it as an external HDD on another computer and wipe the HDD clean and go from there?
    Or maybe buy a replacement HDD and go from there?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    05 Feb 2018 #9

    Bree said: View Post
    Yes. The recovery drive is bootable and has all the source files needed for a complete install of Windows 10. The Troubleshoot section is part of the recovery drive's system, it doesn't use anything from the PC. No software is required to be working on the PC, just the ability to boot from a USB and that the hardware is in working order (even if the HDD is now empty).

    The only difference between doing a clean install with a recovery drive and using an ISO from Microsoft is that the recovery drive should also install any OEM customizations that were part of the PC that made the recovery drive. Those would have been included when you included system files.
    Finally got back to this project and it was easily successful. The USB Recovery drive with system files did the job as expected. Thank you.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,793
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       05 Feb 2018 #10

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    Finally got back to this project and it was easily successful. The USB Recovery drive with system files did the job as expected. Thank you.


    Great news, and congratulations again on making the Recovery Drive in the first place.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Advice on new custom computer I swapped my laptop for? in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
So after getting tire of my laptop being a bit shitty, I posted it on Kijiji to try and sell it with the intention of using the money towards a proper gaming desktop. Someone replied back offering to swap for his own gaming pc, and here we are. ...
Hi all New to both the forums and indeed Windows (Mac users for years, but recently bought a Thinkpad T460, very impressed so far), so apologies if this has been asked before: I recently bought my Thinkpad from ebay, from a guy that obviously got...
Reinstall 10 on a locked out W10 computer in Installation and Upgrade
An elderly neighbor did a Windows 10 upgrade that, when it was done requested her Microsoft account login which she has no idea what it is, and her daughter while trying to help "may" have changed the password and no one knows what it is. I was able...
I bought Office 2016 months ago, but due to windows update failure I had to reinstall win10 thereby losing Office 2016. Can someone point me to a contact? I bought Office 2010 online from MS. TIA
24 BSODs in 1 month in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Lots of BSODs and I'm tearing my hair out. Please help! If someone can look through and give me some clues, that would be great. 1. I've tested memory with memtest so far 2. HDD with chkdsk / HDD tune etc 3. Checked internal cabling, everything...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09.
Find Us