Windows 10 Education "Better" than Professional?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 22
    Windows 10 Education x64
       #1

    Windows 10 Education "Better" than Professional?


    I'm about to have my new PC in the next couple of days. I plan to get Windows 10 and originally intended to have the Professional version. However due to my mistakes/newness to W10 versions two years ago, I somehow chose to get the Education in Dream Spark (MS Imagine now).

    Upon checking the difference between the two, apparently there are more features on the Education (tied to Enterprise levels). The use of my new PC is just for content creation, gaming and the general computer stuff. This version for Windows should be okay for me?

    Another question is that since the Education version is a volume license key, what would that mean for me? There shouldn't be any problems with it even after I got out of school?

    On a side note, this is the reason why I made a thread a couple of days ago regarding the move to W10. It's because I thought at the time and a couple of days ago that the Education version has less features (or somewhat equivalent to Home level of features) until I did my research.
    Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10) - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #2

    Compare Windows 10 Editions

    I ran Education for a while but ran into this issue, *Some settings are hidden or managed by your company Please let me know if it happens to you too.
    Volume License isn't a one time activation. Activation is rechecked over and over again every so may days. To activate your PC has to connect to a KMS server. That would be setup by the school. They can turn off activation at any they want, and "may" do so when your studies are finished and you leave. I have no first hand experience with that myself, just telling you what little I know about VL KMS activation. Are you sure its a VL key? I ask because mine are Retail via my Visual Studio Subscription (MSDN). My installs all got Digital Licences which are good for the life of the device, as they say.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 22
    Windows 10 Education x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    alphanumeric said:
    Volume License isn't a one time activation. Activation is rechecked over and over again every so may days. To activate your PC has to connect to a KMS server. That would be setup by the school. They can turn off activation at any they want, and "may" do so when your studies are finished and you leave. I have no first hand experience with that myself, just telling you what little I know about VL KMS activation. Are you sure its a VL key? I ask because mine are Retail via my Visual Studio Subscription (MSDN). My installs all got Digital Licences which are good for the life of the device, as they say.
    I'm not sure if it is. I just assumed it is VLK after getting a quick glimpse at Wikipedia. Is there any way to know if it is?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #4

    Rain08 said:
    I'm not sure if it is. I just assumed it is VLK after getting a quick glimpse at Wikipedia. Is there any way to know if it is?
    Run slmgr /dlv from cmd window.

    You will see here if it is retail or volume.

    Windows 10 Education "Better" than Professional?-capture.pngWindows 10 Education "Better" than Professional?-capture2.png


    You can post it if you are not sure - none of the information is private.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #5

    Go over the info you have about your purchase/contract or what ever it is. If there is a contact link try that and ask. Or just wait until you get it and do what's posted above.

    I do believe if you go to Settings > Update & security > Activation

    If it's KMS it will say activated with a key via your companies activation server. Something like that, I've forgotten the exact wording.

    If its activated via a product code it should say activated with a Digital License. In the past it would just say "activated with a product code" but now all PC's (except VL) get a Digital Entitlement.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 22
    Windows 10 Education x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    alphanumeric said:
    Go over the info you have about your purchase/contract or what ever it is. If there is a contact link try that and ask. Or just wait until you get it and do what's posted above.

    I do believe if you go to Settings > Update & security > Activation

    If it's KMS it will say activated with a key via your companies activation server. Something like that, I've forgotten the exact wording.

    If its activated via a product code it should say activated with a Digital License. In the past it would just say "activated with a product code" but now all PC's (except VL) get a Digital Entitlement.
    I got the key via OnTheHub and their method of contacting is kinda difficult. You fill out a form and hope that they reply. I have sent an email sometime ago and two more in the past few days and none of them got a reply. I tried to search for what the key really is but there's nothing. Only the transaction details, instructions on what to do, the product key and pretty much that's it.

    Looks like I have to install it first to really see what it is.

    Assuming that this is a retail key, there shouldn't be any other problems? Does the hidden settings by company affect both versions or just the VLK?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #7

    You can input it into Superfly's showkey, ShowKeyPlus The check product key option, if its Retail it should tell you.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 22
    Windows 10 Education x64
    Thread Starter
       #8

    alphanumeric said:
    You can input it into Superfly's showkey, ShowKeyPlus The check product key option, if its Retail it should tell you.
    It says:
    Win 10 RTM Education Retail
    EULA Type: Retail

    I suppose there won't be any more problems?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #9

    Rain08 said:
    It says:
    Win 10 RTM Education Retail
    EULA Type: Retail

    I suppose there won't be any more problems?
    Shouldn't be but wait for @alphanumeric as he had some issues with Education having "some things are controlled by your organization" with Education (I never used it).

    Perhaps you can post a screenshot of slmgr /dlv (you can show all details or ShowKeyPlus (Press the button to hide your key first).
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #10

    Rain08 said:
    It says:
    Win 10 RTM Education Retail
    EULA Type: Retail

    I suppose there won't be any more problems?
    I would say that confirms its Retail. You'll get a Digital License when you first activate it. No worries about activation timing out.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums