1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10
       17 Jul 2015 #1

    Windows 10 Upgrade 10240


    I have tried several times to upgrade from Build 10166 to 10240 and this last attempt got to install files 80 percent before a restart occurred and windows was restored to the previous build. I tried cleaning the registry and that didn't help. Any idea that could lead to a solution of the problem will be appreciated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 14
    WTP 10 9926
       17 Jul 2015 #2

    If you know someone that has an earlier build you could burn the ISO to a DVD and do a clean install eg build 10162 and perhaps get a link to download it - did you try doing a clean boot that might get it through - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 -and also uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or any other suspicious looking program that might mess things up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10
       18 Jul 2015 #3

    Safe mode during upgrade


    whest said: View Post
    If you know someone that has an earlier build you could burn the ISO to a DVD and do a clean install eg build 10162 and perhaps get a link to download it - did you try doing a clean boot that might get it through - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 -and also uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or any other suspicious looking program that might mess things up.

    During the upgrade there is an indication that it is operating in safe mode. It appears twice during the process in all four corners of the screen. I may have to wait until the 29th or later.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 224
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       18 Jul 2015 #4

    whest said: View Post
    If you know someone that has an earlier build you could burn the ISO to a DVD and do a clean install eg build 10162 and perhaps get a link to download it - did you try doing a clean boot that might get it through - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 -and also uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or any other suspicious looking program that might mess things up.
    I tried a clean boot with W10 way back but unless there was an issue back then, it wouldn't even boot up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 14
    WTP 10 9926
       18 Jul 2015 #5

    ofladrt said: View Post
    During the upgrade there is an indication that it is operating in safe mode. It appears twice during the process in all four corners of the screen. I may have to wait until the 29th or later.
    Yes, I was going to suggest that myself, but thought I would leave it out, and hopefully something might work or more replies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10
       18 Jul 2015 #6

    Success 10240 is installed on my Yogi Laptop.


    whest said: View Post
    Yes, I was going to suggest that myself, but thought I would leave it out, and hopefully something might work or more replies.
    Persistence paid off. After an insane amount of attempts the upgrade was successfully completed. I did nothing but keep running the upgrade and to my great surprise the last attempt succeeded. I suspect that something related to the servers I was downloading from that kept kicking me back to the earlier upgrade. Maybe they are stressed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 14
    WTP 10 9926
       20 Jul 2015 #7

    [QUOTE=ofladrt;284094]Persistence paid off. After an insane amount of attempts the upgrade was successfully completed. I did nothing but keep running the upgrade and to my great surprise the last attempt succeeded. I suspect that something related to the servers I was downloading from that kept kicking me back to the earlier upgrade. Maybe they are stressed.[/QUO

    Great to see you made it, I just read Cortana will be coming to Australia and some other countries over the coming months, for insiders Cortana brings Cultural Savviness to New Markets | Blogging Windows
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Jul 2015 #8

    ofladrt said: View Post
    I have tried several times to upgrade from Build 10166 to 10240 and this last attempt got to install files 80 percent before a restart occurred and windows was restored to the previous build. I tried cleaning the registry and that didn't help. Any idea that could lead to a solution of the problem will be appreciated.
    If you are installing on a laptop, and you are not plugged in for power, you may find partway through the process it stops and restores...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Two SSDs with Windows 8.1 and Build 10240. Upgrade path?
I have a dual boot system with two SSDs, with Windows 8.1 on one and Build 10240 on the other. At this stage I am confused by all the Microsoft posts about upgrading. Will I be able to upgrade to the new Build on the 29th on my Build 10240...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Why do you need a key to upgrade to Build 10240?
Hi. All along I have been running Win10 preview in dual boot. Today I decided to upgrade Win 7 with Build 10240. THe installer is asking me for a key. I could give them the key from the Insider website. But I don't understand... I am installing this...
Installation and Setup
Solved Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade?
I have the Windows 10 build 10240 ISO​ on DVD do i need to do a clean install or can i upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the ISO?
Installation and Setup
Cant upgrade to windows 10 pro 10240
Every time i try to do the upgrade it checks to see if i have enough free space then it tells me it could not determine how much free space i have and the installation stops .I've searched for this error and i cant seem to find anything related to...
Installation and Setup
Upgrade to TH 10240
I have upgraded 4 computers to windows 10, Three of them to 10240 successfully. My Lenovo Laptop however keeps rolling back to build 10166. I noticed that I was getting an indication of safe mode during the laptop upgrade but it seemed to be...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums