1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       06 Jul 2015 #1

    Few questions about upgrading from Windows 7, UEFI and compatibility.


    Hey everyone. Fist post

    So I'm in the process of getting my system upgrade-ready for Windows 10 and I would appreciate if anyone could clear up some of my questions. It's the first time I will attempt an actual "upgrade" instead of a clean install. Let's see:

    1) UEFI
    Currently my Win7 installation is Legacy-BIOS mode. Does that mean the upgrade will default at that? Or will it somehow prompt me for a UEFI install? Given the two use different file systems, could that even be possible without a clean installation or converting afterwards? Would it make more sense to convert Win7 to UEFI prior upgrading? I do want to switch to UEFI, just trying to figure out the best way. Is there any tool that automates the procedure for the conversion, or do I have to manually backup, format in GPT, then restore?

    2) Compatibility
    That little GWX icon is telling me all is fine and dandy and that I'm good to go, but I'm a little hesitant. What is that thing looking for exactly? I'm pretty convinced that programs that interfere with built-in operations will become fubar. I'm talking about stuff like teracopy, proccess hacker, etc. Won't these be broken? And if so, could they possibly break Windows itself? Should I uninstall them? And how good would you think those tasks are in Win10? Am I better off without third party programs or is it still very basic?

    3) Drivers
    Will I need to re-install my drivers? If yes, will the old installations somehow end up being there but crippled? Am I better off removing any drivers prior upgrading? Also, would it be wise to check manually for all of my internal hardware to make sure they all have working Win10 versions?

    Those are my questions. You can get all technical if you want, no problem. Any answers appreciated and you shall receive free cookies!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       06 Jul 2015 #2

    Does your system have an EFI firmware? If not, then the EFI question is moot.

    There's always a chance that something will be broken in an upgrade. Typically, you would just reinstall that application. You don't have to worry about things breaking the OS, since Microsoft only migrates apps they know are safe.

    As for drivers, Windows 10 has new drivers for most things. You may have to re-install drivers for exotic things, but most of your general hardware should be supported out of the box.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       06 Jul 2015 #3

    First off - thanks for the reply

    Mystere said: View Post
    Does your system have an EFI firmware? If not, then the EFI question is moot.
    Yes its a fairly new system on the X99 platform, motherboard is running UEFI firmware.

    Mystere said: View Post
    There's always a chance that something will be broken in an upgrade. Typically, you would just reinstall that application. You don't have to worry about things breaking the OS, since Microsoft only migrates apps they know are safe.
    I don't get this kind of proccess. Is Windows really migrating anything? One would assume an in-place upgrade means it copies Win10 over Win7, not moving stuff onto a WIn10 installation. I'm confused, could you elaborate?

    Mystere said: View Post
    As for drivers, Windows 10 has new drivers for most things. You may have to re-install drivers for exotic things, but most of your general hardware should be supported out of the box.
    Yeah I understand that it will work out of the box, but I was mostly talking about drivers like GPU, SSD, etc, not really the lower level drivers needed for things to function but the higher level software you get with your product. That usually installs different drivers than the out-of-the-box ones too.

    What about the UEFI part then? Is it going to be the hassle I'm thinking it will be?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       06 Jul 2015 #4

    Salad Fingers said: View Post
    Yes its a fairly new system on the X99 platform, motherboard is running UEFI firmware.
    Well, if you're doing an upgrade, it won't matter. However, if you're doing a clean install, then Windows might give you a weird error depending on the mode you boot the installer in. If you boot the installer in EFI mode, then it require a GPT partition, if you boot it in legacy mode it requires an MBR partition.

    Salad Fingers said: View Post
    I don't get this kind of proccess. Is Windows really migrating anything? One would assume an in-place upgrade means it copies Win10 over Win7, not moving stuff onto a WIn10 installation. I'm confused, could you elaborate?
    No, Windows first copies your old OS to a Windows.old folder, then it installs a new (essentially "clean") version, then it migrates the registry, and any applications it knows about.

    This allows you to restore your old OS because it hasn't touched it.

    Salad Fingers said: View Post
    Yeah I understand that it will work out of the box, but I was mostly talking about drivers like GPU, SSD, etc, not really the lower level drivers needed for things to function but the higher level software you get with your product. That usually installs different drivers than the out-of-the-box ones too.
    As I said, unless you have something exotic, you won't have to worry. Windows will have a driver that will at least enable basic operation. You may need to install the manufacturers driver afterwards, but your system would still work. The only major exception would be if you are running with an exotic RAID controller, which may require a special driver, but Microsoft would likely just migrate the driver in this case.

    Salad Fingers said: View Post
    What about the UEFI part then? Is it going to be the hassle I'm thinking it will be?
    No, not during an upgrade. It will use the same configuration as your original OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       06 Jul 2015 #5

    Mystere said: View Post
    Well, if you're doing an upgrade, it won't matter. However, if you're doing a clean install, then Windows might give you a weird error depending on the mode you boot the installer in. If you boot the installer in EFI mode, then it require a GPT partition, if you boot it in legacy mode it requires an MBR partition.



    No, Windows first copies your old OS to a Windows.old folder, then it installs a new (essentially "clean") version, then it migrates the registry, and any applications it knows about.

    This allows you to restore your old OS because it hasn't touched it.



    As I said, unless you have something exotic, you won't have to worry. Windows will have a driver that will at least enable basic operation. You may need to install the manufacturers driver afterwards, but your system would still work. The only major exception would be if you are running with an exotic RAID controller, which may require a special driver, but Microsoft would likely just migrate the driver in this case.



    No, not during an upgrade. It will use the same configuration as your original OS.

    Ah I feel like such a newbie... I have indeed done an in-place upgrade before and I completely forgot about the Windows.old folder. So windows will cherry pick whatever thinks it works fine, but leave my older system files in tact until I decide I'm done and delete it. Makes sense.

    My motherboard is set to support both legacy and UEFI boots at the same time. It's either that, or UEFI only. So I guess it will remain legacy as it is now huh. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and try and do it manually then.

    One last quick question, in the event of an in-place upgrade, would location path settings be preserved? I have put my documents, downloads, desktop, etc on a secondary HDD while the OS itself is on an SSD. Would I need to set those up again? Not a problem really, just wondering.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       06 Jul 2015 #6

    Salad Fingers said: View Post
    My motherboard is set to support both legacy and UEFI boots at the same time. It's either that, or UEFI only. So I guess it will remain legacy as it is now huh. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and try and do it manually then.
    It can't support both at the same time. It may boot to EFI and fallback to Legacy if it doesn't find a UEFI loader, but if that is the case then EFI will always boot first. You can typically use the F12 key to choose your boot source (and it will say EFI if it's booting in EFI mode).

    Salad Fingers said: View Post
    One last quick question, in the event of an in-place upgrade, would location path settings be preserved? I have put my documents, downloads, desktop, etc on a secondary HDD while the OS itself is on an SSD. Would I need to set those up again? Not a problem really, just wondering.
    You probably will have to, yes.. but i'm not sure to be honest. In my experience, these settings typically are reset to default.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       06 Jul 2015 #7

    Mystere said: View Post
    It can't support both at the same time. It may boot to EFI and fallback to Legacy if it doesn't find a UEFI loader, but if that is the case then EFI will always boot first. You can typically use the F12 key to choose your boot source (and it will say EFI if it's booting in EFI mode).



    You probably will have to, yes.. but i'm not sure to be honest. In my experience, these settings typically are reset to default.
    It has 2 options, one says Legacy+UEFI and is able to boot both, I checked it. But yeah probably just does it the way you're saying. The other option says UEFI only. Anyhow, not important. Thanks for sticking with me man! Free cookies for you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading from 8.1 to 10 procedure questions
I have a Windows 8 Disc and then I upgraded to 8.1 Can I wait for the release and then download the ISO file? My understanding is I would make a backup system image and repair disc of 8.1. Then clean install of Windows 10. After its complete create...
Installation and Setup
Application compatibility following upgrade to windows 10
Hello, Regarding the upgrade to windows 10. After the upgrade is completed and we do a clean install, will the previous applications (e.g. Photoshop or AutoCAD) be compatible with windows 10? Thank you
Software and Apps
Questions about upgrading to windows 10
Hello. I have recently heard about the windows 10 free upgrade for win7 and 8.1 genuine users. I have a few questions about that upgrade. 1. I don't have any version of windows installed on my computer, so, if I want to get the new windows 10...
Installation and Setup
Solved UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible
Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!!
Virtualization
Windows 10 apps and Xbox Controller compatibility?
With such a strong emphasis on cross compatibility I was wondering about how the windows 10 apps work with an Xbox controller? Specifically the video apps, Netflix hulu etc. I am building a new computer and am going to use Windows 10 for xbmc...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums